The Student Room Group

How to beg a Sixth Form to let me in ?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Ty457
What do i do now ? I have to go to this Sixth Form,i really dont know what my future look like

Self teach or get a tutor so you can learn at home?
Reply 81
Original post by IDOZ
Self teach or get a tutor so you can learn at home?

The problem is i dont have anywhere to resit the Maths.Private Center's too expensive,old School not taking me on,Sixth Forms saying they wont let me enroll unless i get a pass in Maths.Colleges not accepting external students for resits.Do you see the cycle and problems i'm facing ?
Reply 82
Original post by Ty457
The problem is i dont have anywhere to resit the Maths.Private Center's too expensive,old School not taking me on,Sixth Forms saying they wont let me enroll unless i get a pass in Maths.Colleges not accepting external students for resits.Do you see the cycle and problems i'm facing ?

Could you not ask anywhere else if they would let you retake Maths?
Because last time I checked, there are lots of Secondary and High schools around the UK, and 6th Form colleges
Original post by Ty457
Not possible,i have lost all contact with my former secondary school.I dont know what to do.

Get your parents to contact your old secondary school, they will be able to sort something... just ring them up .
Reply 84
Original post by MKaur18
Get your parents to contact your old secondary school, they will be able to sort something... just ring them up .

I already contacted my old Exams Officer he has said they do not accept former/non students.
Original post by Ty457
I already contacted my old Exams Officer he has said they do not accept former/non students.

Ask your old school for a reference and give that to your new college.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by MKaur18
Ask them for a reference and give that to your college.

Ask to resit Maths while doing your college course there. Otherwise, just do your maths gcse this year - you have a couple of months left, then in September you can get on to your course.

I dont understand you mate.The Sixth Form i want to go to say minimum entry requirements is Grade 4 or above for Maths,i dont have that.So i'm going to tell them,i cant afford to resit anywhere and my old school does not accept former students,then if they dont believe me,should i ask my old exams officer for a Reference as proof.Is that what you're saying ?
Reply 87
Original post by IDOZ
Could you not ask anywhere else if they would let you retake Maths?
Because last time I checked, there are lots of Secondary and High schools around the UK, and 6th Form colleges

I cant find anywhere ! This is like Hell ! Just to retake a bloody piece of paper.Private Centere's are too expensive,so i dont know what to do now !
Original post by Ty457
I dont understand you mate.The Sixth Form i want to go to say minimum entry requirements is Grade 4 or above for Maths,i dont have that.So i'm going to tell them,i cant afford to resit anywhere and my old school does not accept former students,then if they dont believe me,should i ask my old exams officer for a Reference as proof.Is that what you're saying ?

If you have a reference about your circumstances from your exams and show it to your college - they would take your application into consideration.. if you've already done that, then the only other option is to pay privately because you've tried everywhere else..

Schools do let you resit papers at centres - if you pay them for admin fees etc..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by MKaur18
If you have a reference about your circumstances from your exams and show it to your college - they would take your application into consideration.. if you've already done that, then the only other option is to pay privately because you've tried everywhere else..

What circumstances ? I failed which was my fault in June.No Excuses,what i'm asking for is a chance to resit which millions around the country got for free.
Reply 90
Original post by MKaur18

What circumstances ? I failed which was my fault in June.No Excuses,what i'm asking for is a chance to resit which millions around the country got for free.But the problem is they arent even going to so much as look at what i have to say unless i say i have passed Maths.
Original post by Ty457
What circumstances ? I failed which was my fault in June.No Excuses,what i'm asking for is a chance to resit which millions around the country got for free.

Ok.

People don't get to RESIT their exams for free. The schools pay for the first set of exams. If you decide to resit any, you have to pay again out of your own pocket.

Everyone that I know who has resits has had to pay fees even if they were a former candidate or if they are going from AS to A2 and want to resit AS exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by MKaur18
Ok.

People don't get to RESIT their exams for free. The schools pay for the first set of exams. If you decide to resit any, you have to pay again out of your own pocket.

Everyone that I know who has resits has had to pay fees even if they were a former candidate or if they are going from AS to A2 and want to resit AS exams.

But the cost is so damn expensive to me.£250 for a Maths Retake i have read on most Private Centre's ,i just dont have that type of money.
Original post by Ty457
Never give up ? I havent exhchanged a phone call with them yet which is what i plan to do today,only E-Mails.I just have to convince them can they let me Re Sit my Gcse Maths alongside the subjects i choose for A Levels.Most of the subjects i will choose are more Written/English Based which is where my strengths lie anyway and dont involve Maths,like Law,Sociology for example.Although i understand you need Maths for a UCAS Entry.

As I've previously said, asking them to do the maths alongside is the best thing to do. The same thing happened to me, I got practically all A's and A*'s but my maths was the only one I didn't do well on. So, I rang up and they said no. So then I emailed the subject leaders and went in for an interview and it's only because they could see that I needed all of these a Levels to achieve my dream job and because all of my other grades were good that they let me in. Like you say, if you don't require maths for the subjects you want to take then it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Reply 94
Original post by katie091000
As I've previously said, asking them to do the maths alongside is the best thing to do. The same thing happened to me, I got practically all A's and A*'s but my maths was the only one I didn't do well on. So, I rang up and they said no. So then I emailed the subject leaders and went in for an interview and it's only because they could see that I needed all of these a Levels to achieve my dream job and because all of my other grades were good that they let me in. Like you say, if you don't require maths for the subjects you want to take then it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Surely the fact you got A's and A stars played a major factor why they made a allowance.Most of my grades are at the Grade C Level.
Original post by Ty457
Surely the fact you got A's and A stars played a major factor why they made a allowance.Most of my grades are at the Grade C Level.

Yeah like ive said that was a factor of why I got in but they didn't want to let me in because of my maths and one of my a Levels is psychology which is quite maths based. So then the head of psychology came in and I hate previously wrote her an email after finding out my maths results telling her how much I really wanted to attend the college and how much I loved psychology and I had already had a meeting with her so she said she would take me on whilst I was doing my maths alongside my a Levels, which I retook in November and passed
Reply 96
Yeah like ive said that was a factor of why I got in but they didn't want to let me in because of my maths and one of my a Levels is psychology which is quite maths based. So then the head of psychology came in and I hate previously wrote her an email after finding out my maths results telling her how much I really wanted to attend the college and how much I loved psychology and I had already had a meeting with her so she said she would take me on whilst I was doing my maths alongside my a Levels, which I retook in November and passed

I Plan to do Buisness Studies,Law and Sociology.None of the requirements specfically say on their website you must have a Maths Pass it says English Instead which i have.I'm going to phone today,and if they say No,i am out of options and dont know what to do
Reply 97

I'm not joking but if i say i havent passed Maths and i'm requesting a entry into A Levels and Sixth form i just get the feeling it will be a straight up NO.They are going to be saying what have i been doing for the past few months and why i didnt apply last year.I have emailed so many colleges today and the answer is "we do not take external students"
Original post by Ty457
I'm not joking but if i say i havent passed Maths and i'm requesting a entry into A Levels and Sixth form i just get the feeling it will be a straight up NO.They are going to be saying what have i been doing for the past few months and why i didnt apply last year.I have emailed so many colleges today and the answer is "we do not take external students"

i knw i keep going on about this college but bsix does accept external students why do you not give them a call and see?
Reply 99
Original post by Sabzyyy987
i knw i keep going on about this college but bsix does accept external students why do you not give them a call and see?

I have emailed them about a Gcse Maths Retake,no reply yet.Judging by the distance it takes me 1hr 30 minutes to get their which will be fine just for the Resit(if they let me)

Quick Reply

Latest