The Student Room Group

French, GCSE A* - How hard?

Hey,

I know it's really vague when someone asks "how long does it take for x" however I was wondering if you think it'd be possible to get to around an A*-A in GCSE French, in around 6 months? In the background of studying a degree?

I'm taking a language next year and I feel like it would be quite pointless to lose one of my Biology modules for a low language level. I also looked at the GCSE papers and it didn't look hard at all but maybe it's harder than it looks.

Thanks in advance.
Not too hard at all! Although I do hear thy GCSE’s have not begun to change however I managed an A in GCSE French without actually revising all that much! Just take a grasp of the language and immerse yourself where possible, watch videos in another language and attempt to pick out words and phrases and get used to the dialect! If you want to get that A* then you absolutely can!
Original post by TommyCT
Hey,

I know it's really vague when someone asks "how long does it take for x" however I was wondering if you think it'd be possible to get to around an A*-A in GCSE French, in around 6 months? In the background of studying a degree?

I'm taking a language next year and I feel like it would be quite pointless to lose one of my Biology modules for a low language level. I also looked at the GCSE papers and it didn't look hard at all but maybe it's harder than it looks.

Thanks in advance.

Original post by Daveboi115
Not too hard at all! Although I do hear thy GCSE’s have not begun to change however I managed an A in GCSE French without actually revising all that much! Just take a grasp of the language and immerse yourself where possible, watch videos in another language and attempt to pick out words and phrases and get used to the dialect! If you want to get that A* then you absolutely can!

French is so much more harder in the new GCSE so be careful before deciding, Let's just say even some french nationals and teachers are struggling to understand the questions they're asking
Reply 3
Original post by Daveboi115

Thank you. I thought as much, but I didn't want to underestimate everything. I was sure the vocabulary etc. wasn't that long at all.

Original post by The Big R"
French is so much more harder in the new GCSE so be careful before deciding, Let's just say even some french nationals and teachers are struggling to understand the questions they're asking

Yeah I've heard the new GCSE's are ridiculous but I'm pretty sure their criteria is judging from the older GCSE, probably quite a lot older actually. But I've heard a lot about this new system being too hard, and now A levels are all done at the end so, I feel so bad for young people. 😅😳 Even the driving test is getting harder 😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending