The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axiomasher
This forum, like many others, is routinely used as a place for angry young men to vent their sexual frustrations in the form of attacks on 'feminists' and women more generally (often including reference to liberals, leftists, indeed anything that isn't exactly what they identify as). Wherever possible they will include some 'laddish' slapping of each other on the back as part of the routine. They often start off using restrained language and sounding reasonable enough but if you don't agree with them they will turn on you and quickly descend into the more obvious language of the misogynist. Some of them in time will move on with their attitudes, some of them won't, the world will still turn and babies will still be born.

I think you are fishing for reps.
Original post by Wired_1800
I have explained this point before.

The death penalty acts as a deterrent and a solution for one-time situations and stone-cold killers. If someone kills another person and denies them the opportunity to live, laugh and grow old, why should we give them their life and play happy family.

Except you’ve previously said you’d give 15 year old girls the death penalty for abortion. Hardly a “solution for one-time situations like stone cold killers”.
Original post by cat_mac
Except you’ve previously said you’d give 15 year old girls the death penalty for abortion. Hardly a “solution for one-time situations like stone cold killers”.

If a 15 year old knows that she will get the death penalty for committing abortion, i strongly doubt she will be in a hurry to end her own life in the process. If she then goes ahead with it, then we have to demand her life in payment for the unborn child.
If a 15 year old knows that she will get the death penalty for committing abortion, i strongly doubt she will be in a hurry to end her own life in the process. If she then goes ahead with it, then we have to demand her life in payment for the unborn child.

How barbaric.
Original post by Tiger Rag
How barbaric.

Oh, so I am barbaric when someone else killed an unborn child. I guess this is the double standard that men talk about.

The death penalty acts as a deterrent and a solution for one-time situations and stone-cold killers. If someone kills another person and denies them the opportunity to live, laugh and grow old, why should we give them their life and play happy family.

It doesn’t act as a deterrent!
And you did seriously contradict yourself because you previously said that no ones life is more important than another’s/we don’t have the right to take a life/anyone that takes a life should have their life taken bla bla.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oh, so I am barbaric when someone else killed an unborn child. I guess this is the double standard that men talk about.

Oh the irony.

You wouldnt condone the death of an unborn child, but you would condone the death of that same child 15 years later.
Original post by cherryred90s
It doesn’t act as a deterrent!
And you did seriously contradict yourself because you previously said that no ones life is more important than another’s/we don’t have the right to take a life/anyone that takes a life should have their life taken bla bla.

Oh the irony.

You wouldnt condone the death of an unborn child, but you would condone the death of that same child 15 years later.

We have had this discussion before.

A life is important. However when someone takes another person’s life, then their life ceases to be important. Do you understand now?

Everything in life has risk and reward, action with consequence. We need to stop living in this utopian fantasy that people should not be held accountable for their actions.
We have had this discussion before.

A life is important. However when someone takes another person’s life, then their life ceases to be important. Do you understand now?

You said that taking a life is murder and murder is wrong. Now you are saying that the death penalty (which means to take a life ) is not murder and is not wrong. Can you not understand that you contradicted yourself?
The reason for the murder is irrelevant, the action is the same.

Everything in life has risk and reward, action with consequence. We need to stop living in this utopian fantasy that people should not be held accountable for their actions.

Nobody said that people shouldn’t be held accountable for their actions
You said that taking a life is murder and murder is wrong. Now you are saying that the death penalty (which means to take a life ) is not murder and is not wrong. Can you not understand that you contradicted yourself?
The reason for the murder is irrelevant, the action is the same.

Nobody said that people shouldn’t be held accountable for their actions

This is not contradiction. When someone slaps you, you don't turn the other cheek, you slap back.

The fundamental policy is the safety of life of everyone. However when someone takes another person’s life, then we ask for their’s.
Men have a fear of rejection for a date, women have a fear of death from a date

I guess that I am the guy and you are the wall.

You do realise that delegalising abortion is just going to make women "abort" in illegal, harmful ways?
Original post by JustACoincidence
Men have a fear of rejection for a date, women have a fear of death from a date

Who goes on a date with a guy and fears they will be killed in public?
Original post by loveleest
You do realise that delegalising abortion is just going to make women "abort" in illegal, harmful ways?

They should do what they want and face the consequences.
I guess that I am the guy and you are the wall.

:laugh:
Who goes on a date with a guy and fears they will be killed in public?

Who said anything about in public?

Some men (definitely not all, but enough) behave in violent and dangerous ways when things don't go their way, especially on dates. There have been multiple cases of women going on a date and the man trying to rape them and/or kill them. There have been cases of women being threatened with guns, knives, etc for refusal. Because the 'friend zone' exists. No - it is not a woman's job to have sex with you if you're 'nice' to them. It doesn't work that way, and more often than it should ever happen (I.w it shouldn't happen at all) men can get violent because of a woman's refusal to be their sexual object. Nobody is a walking sexual object - they are first and foremost a person.

That is why women fear death and rape after a date because the way society has been built up in a way that a man can get angry if you say no. And yes, I realise that not all men are like this and that not ever date is going to be like that. But is happens and it really shouldn't.

Onto the topic of the thread, the gender pay gap does exist. Otherwise Iceland (I think) wouldn't have needed to make a law to make it illegal. But the pay gap also exists between different racial groups so let's not forget about that either. Yes there are problems with the world, and it shouldn't be about lowering one group, but rather raising the other up.

I read a very good post on tumblr that said, to paraphrase, men (or anyone for that matter) should never have been in a position to control women's (or any other group that didn't ever used to have many rights) rights and the laws regarding them.
Original post by Becca G
Funny how whenever we are talking about equality, the issue of beating women ALWAYS comes up. Always.
Ppl are already beating women mate, the point is that we want them to stop. Being able to hit a woman in comparison with women wanting equal reproductive rights, equal opportunities and no bias are not the same thing, because beating women isn’t a right. Can’t we just stop all violence towards each other? I’m all for self defense, really. But it’s hard to believe that women are the most violent out of the two genders, when all mass shooters, violent criminals and serial offenders are men.
I understand that there are feminists who believe all men should die, bla bla bla but if so, they aren’t real feminists. Literally all real feminists want is political, social and economic equality. And what some might see as ‘picking and choosing’ is actually us addressing that some groups of people (women, LGBT, black, hispanic, etc.) need a little more help getting there than other groups (white straight men). I’m not saying that men don’t have problems, they have plenty like higher suicide rates, toxic masculinity, etc. But even then, it seems as if feminism is the only movement actually trying to help guys and shed light on their problems too.

So excuse me if I call someone stupid when they say that feminism is stupid, because it has helped so many women of all sexualities and nationalities and even men too, to gain equal rights, opportunities and safety.

If you want another example other than the “beating women” example how about this. Look at what’s going on in Hollywood right now with all the sexual harassment allegations. Why are all the protests to that about women being treated unfairly in Hollywood? Men have been sexually harassed in Hollywood too in fact Brendan Fraser just came out today with his story but because he’s a male I doubt anyone will take him seriously. Obviously more women have been harassed but it happens to men too but nobody mentions the men. Notice when all these celebs are making their speeches they say “I stand by the women who have been abused” but they ignore the men? That’s not equality is it?

Another example I can give you is the Barry Bennell case. A football coach who has just been locked up for sexually abusing young footballers on more than 50 separate occasions. That’s just as bad as what Harvey Weinstein did but you don’t see marches and protests against sexual abuse of young footballers and you don’t see celebs wearing black and making speeches in honour of abuse victims in general it’s always about “the women who have been abused.” There’s plenty cases of men being raped or sexually harassed or stalked but because they are men nobody will take them seriously not even the police. That’s not equality.

Another example is mental health. Men find it much harder to admit they have mental health problems than women because men are meant to be “strong” and are told to “man up” if they open up . That’s not equality is it but do you ever see people protesting about it?

My point is that’s a lot of feminists (not all) seem to think that things like rape and sexual harassment etc happen exclusively to women when in actual fact the men find it just as difficult to speak up as the women but when you see these movements like the “Time’s Up” or “Me Too” whatever it’s called it’s all about the women and not a thought is given to men.

There are situations in this world where men are unfairly treated better than women and vice versa but a lot of “feminists” don’t see it like that.

If men stared calling themselves “Meninists” and protesting for equal rights in areas that they aren’t given as much recognition as women then they’d be laughed at and called greedy.

Why can’t everyone just agree that men and women both need more recognition in certain things instead of feminists trying to act like men own the world and keep women locked up in cages?

Sorry for any grammar mistakes I’m typing this on my crappy phone and drunk auto correct.
(edited 6 years ago)

Because no one deserves to die even if they have done something horrible, they deserve to sit and take their penance and live with what they’ve done

Quick Reply

Latest