The Student Room Group

Tuition fee loan for EU students

Hello
As a 19-year-old undergraduate EU student, I have a few questions about the tuition fee loan. I currently live in France, and I'm in 1st year of college. However, knowing that I've been made an offer to study in the UK, I intend to start over in 2018/19 in a university in England.

Taking into account that I've started a course and that I won't get to complete it (since I'd be coming to the UK in September), will they still consider me for the tuition fee loan or is this something that could ruin my chances of receiving financial help?
I'm worried because getting financial aid for the tuition fees is what would determine whether I'd be able to study there next year or not, since I definitely couldn't afford to pay both tuition and maintenance.

Also, am I supposed to accept my offer before sending in the form for the loan or after? And how long does it usually take to receive a concrete answer from SFE?

Thank you in advance
Original post by bsch
Hello
As a 19-year-old undergraduate EU student, I have a few questions about the tuition fee loan. I currently live in France, and I'm in 1st year of college. However, knowing that I've been made an offer to study in the UK, I intend to start over in 2018/19 in a university in England.

Taking into account that I've started a course and that I won't get to complete it (since I'd be coming to the UK in September), will they still consider me for the tuition fee loan or is this something that could ruin my chances of receiving financial help?
I'm worried because getting financial aid for the tuition fees is what would determine whether I'd be able to study there next year or not, since I definitely couldn't afford to pay both tuition and maintenance.

Also, am I supposed to accept my offer before sending in the form for the loan or after? And how long does it usually take to receive a concrete answer from SFE?

Thank you in advance

Hi bsch,

Just need to ask you a few questions.

How long have you been studying your course in France?
Have you gained a qualification?

You can apply online before you accept your offer, applications take between 6-8 weeks to process.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 2
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi bsch,

Just need to ask you a few questions.

How long have you been studying your course in France?
Have you gained a qualification?

You can apply online before you accept your offer, applications take between 6-8 weeks to process.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi, thank you for your reply.
This is the first time for me in college, so I've been in this course since September 2017. I haven't and I won't gain any qualification from it at the end of this academic year.

I understand, but I thought online applications were available for UK-residents only?
I had printed out the form and was planning to send it by post, but if it's possible to do it online in this case it's even better.
Original post by bsch
This is the first time for me in college, so I've been in this course since September 2017. I haven't and I won't gain any qualification from it at the end of this academic year.

I understand, but I thought online applications were available for UK-residents only?
I had printed out the form and was planning to send it by post, but if it's possible to do it online in this case it's even better.

Hi bsch,

As this is your first year and no qualification you can apply for fees for the full length of the course, I do apologise EU students can only apply by paper on an EU18N application form.

Thanks

Catherine
Reply 4
Original post by Catherine SFE
Hi bsch,

As this is your first year and no qualification you can apply for fees for the full length of the course, I do apologise EU students can only apply by paper on an EU18N application form.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi, thank you.
I have one more question regarding this.
I'm going to leave the course here in France because I believe the one I've been made an offer for in England suits me better, so what am I supposed to add as "evidence"?

I don't understand how I should actually prove this.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bsch
Hello

Thank you in advance

Hi bsch,

You said that you are currently studying, can I ask you a few questions to help you better?

Firstly, what is the level of qualification that you are currently studying and how many years study have you had ?

Secondly, are you studying on a full or part time basis currently in France and will you gain an exit qualification?

Finally, what is the course and level of qualification that you wish to undertake and will you be studying on a full or part time basis?

Thanks Rona
Reply 6
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi bsch,

You said that you are currently studying, can I ask you a few questions to help you better?

Firstly, what is the level of qualification that you are currently studying and how many years study have you had ?

Secondly, are you studying on a full or part time basis currently in France and will you gain an exit qualification?

Finally, what is the course and level of qualification that you wish to undertake and will you be studying on a full or part time basis?

Thanks Rona

I was in fact studying, but I no longer am because I have quit my course earlier today.

It was a Mathematics/IT course. I believe it is something like a Computer Science BSc in the UK. It was my first year at uni (I only started the course on 02/10/2017).

I was studying on a full time basis and since I quit the course during the first year I won't be getting any qualification.

The course I have been made an offer for is a 4-year MEng Biomedical Engineering course. I would be studying on a full-time basis as well.

I hope I haven't done a mistake by quitting this course..I do however think that Biomedical Engineering would be better for me. I had applied for Biomedical Engineering here in France last year but I wasn't accepted for it so I had to undertake a Maths/IT/CS course, which I didn't enjoy that much..

Will I still be eligible for the loan? And what evidence should I provide on the form for this? Should I just try to explain this to them?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bsch
I was in fact studying, but I no longer am because I have quit my course earlier today.

It was a Mathematics/IT course. I believe it is something like a Computer Science BSc in the UK. It was my first year at uni (I only started the course on 02/10/2017).

I was studying on a full time basis and since I quit the course during the first year I won't be getting any qualification.

The course I have been made an offer for is a 4-year MEng Biomedical Engineering course. I would be studying on a full-time basis as well.

I hope I haven't done a mistake by quitting this course..I do however think that Biomedical Engineering would be better for me. I had applied for Biomedical Engineering here in France last year but I wasn't accepted for it so I had to undertake a Maths/IT/CS course, which I didn't enjoy that much..

Will I still be eligible for the loan? And what evidence should I provide on the form for this? Should I just try to explain this to them?

Hi bsch,

Your previous study will be taken into account when Student Finance calculate your future entitlement.

You will be entitled to the Tuition Fee for the length of your new course, plus we add an additional year of support, then from that figure we deduct any years of previous study that you have undertaken, that leaves the number of years support that you have available.

From the information that you have provided, having had only one year of previous study, then you would be entitled to the Tuition Fee for the length of your new course, but not if you had to repeat any year in the future.

This information you will provide on the application form, you do need to send anything to prove this unless requested.

Regards Rona
Reply 8
Hi bsch,

Your previous study will be taken into account when Student Finance calculate your future entitlement.

You will be entitled to the Tuition Fee for the length of your new course, plus we add an additional year of support, then from that figure we deduct any years of previous study that you have undertaken, that leaves the number of years support that you have available.

From the information that you have provided, having had only one year of previous study, then you would be entitled to the Tuition Fee for the length of your new course, but not if you had to repeat any year in the future.

This information you will provide on the application form, you do need to send anything to prove this unless requested.

Regards Rona

Hi again, thank you for your reply.

Sorry for this question, perhaps it sounds silly but did you mean that I need or that I don't need to send a proof?

And if I do need to send evidence would a "demission letter" signed by me and the uni be ok?
Original post by bsch
Hi again, thank you for your reply.

Sorry for this question, perhaps it sounds silly but did you mean that I need or that I don't need to send a proof?

And if I do need to send evidence would a "demission letter" signed by me and the uni be ok?

Hi bsch,

No dont send anything, we are not asking for any evidence, if you enter your previous qualification on the application and state no qualification gained.

If you are asked at a later stage then you can by all means send a copy of the letter.

Thanks Rona
Reply 10
Hi bsch,

No dont send anything, we are not asking for any evidence, if you enter your previous qualification on the application and state no qualification gained.

If you are asked at a later stage then you can by all means send a copy of the letter.

Thanks Rona

Hello,
Thank you for the help you have provided me before. I have sent in the form to apply for student finance to study in the UK a few weeks ago and today I received a letter with my costumer number and instructions on how to login to my account.

However, as I login and try to apply for student finance online, it says "There are currently no undergraduate applications available.", but it lets me apply for financing for postgraduate studies (which is not my case)

I don't understand why it won't let me, as I am an undergraduate and have been made an offer to study an Integrated Master's (Biomedical Engineering MEng - 4 years). This is what I see:

apply.JPG

Am I even supposed to apply or just wait for an answer since I have already sent in the EU Undergraduate Application form through post?

Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated

King regards,
bsch
Original post by bsch
Hello,
Thank you for the help you have provided me before. I have sent in the form to apply for student finance to study in the UK a few weeks ago and today I received a letter with my costumer number and instructions on how to login to my account.

However, as I login and try to apply for student finance online, it says "There are currently no undergraduate applications available.", but it lets me apply for financing for postgraduate studies (which is not my case)

I don't understand why it won't let me, as I am an undergraduate and have been made an offer to study an Integrated Master's (Biomedical Engineering MEng - 4 years). This is what I see:

apply.JPG

Am I even supposed to apply or just wait for an answer since I have already sent in the EU Undergraduate Application form through post?

Thank you in advance, any help is appreciated

King regards,

Hi bsch,

As it is an undergraduate course that you are doing you can be confident that you have applied on the correct form.

EU students are currently unable to apply online for their Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks Rona

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending