The Student Room Group

Height difference when dating - does it matter?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Langerhan
Why is everyone assuming OP is a girl? :confused:

could not even be human
op friend could be a great dane
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone is giving you the optimistic, fairy land answers. This is the real answer, at first you might not mind it but once it becomes serious, people will take the piss out of it, it'll hurt both of your confidence, he'll be made out to feel like he's under your control and you'll be told your dating a little kid. People will probably say stuff like, does he need a ladder to kiss you. Do you have to sit down to kiss him..etc.

Also, once you're serious, tm. You'll realise you want more masculinity from your boyfriend, which wouldn't really work out, end of the day, the guy always likes to feel like the bigger person and the girl always wants to feel protected and small.

Are you 12?

As the OP is worried about height, and society tells us the girl should be shorter??

Dont try and stir something up - is everyone homophobic now?
Original post by Jack22031994

As the OP is worried about height, and society tells us the girl should be shorter??

Dont try and stir something up - is everyone homophobic now?

Have you looked around TSR, kiddo? Yes, lots of people here are homophobic.

But gay dudes also worry about height a lot. Since OP hasn't posted anything about what gender they are, I'm just saying people's advice shouldn't be entirely based on 'oh obviously OP's a girl, only girls ever worry about being short, I r smart'.
Have you looked around TSR, kiddo? Yes, lots of people here are homophobic.

But gay dudes also worry about height a lot. Since OP hasn't posted anything about what gender they are, I'm just saying people's advice shouldn't be entirely based on 'oh obviously OP's a girl, only girls ever worry about being short, I r smart'.

That wasnt what I meant.

They may do. However it is not wrong or homophobic to assume the OP is a girl. What you want people to do? Write out every possibility there could be in their replies?
Original post by Jack22031994
That wasnt what I meant.

They may do. However it is not wrong or homophobic to assume the OP is a girl. What you want people to do? Write out every possibility there could be in their replies?

It's not, to quote you, "stirring things up" to suggest people take two seconds to think about giving advice that's not based on an assumed gender, but YDY.
It's not, to quote you, "stirring things up" to suggest people take two seconds to think about giving advice that's not based on an assumed gender, but YDY.

Youre right, it isnt.

But youre implying people are homophobic for assuming the OP is a girl.
(edited 6 years ago)
It doesn't matter OP.
Here are some relationship problems people have in the world that matter: micropenis, vagina not deep at all, sex always hurts, find the love of their life then realise they are siblings/twins separated at birth, infertile, both fertile but unable to conceive together due to biological incompatibilty, etc.

So this guy is a bit shorter than you? if you like him so what, sounds quirky and different to me. and why would you care about what people think?? people will always try to say something to drag you down if they can.
Maybe if you're literally children, sure. Once you reach adulthood people cease giving a **** about that kind of thing.

Not at all. Sexual and physical attraction are still crucially important in adult sexual relationships.

If anything, physical appearance and attraction is more important in a long-term adult relationship than it is for some short-term childish fling.
If you love each other or care about each other, go for it.

Not that I'd personally date a dwarf, but still.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Why would you care what other people think?

It's up to you. If you don't care about his height, then go ahead. If you have reservations due to his height, that's entirely reasonable, but it should be a personal decision for you.

Original post by UWS
It matters if you let it matter.

People will look but that's them, if you're both happy then it can work.

Original post by ANM775
I've definitely noticed an increase in couples where the girl is taller than the guy in the past year.

perhaps times are a changing.....

Everyone is giving you the optimistic, fairy land answers. This is the real answer, at first you might not mind it but once it becomes serious, people will take the piss out of it, it'll hurt both of your confidence, he'll be made out to feel like he's under your control and you'll be told your dating a little kid. People will probably say stuff like, does he need a ladder to kiss you. Do you have to sit down to kiss him..etc.

Also, once you're serious, tm. You'll realise you want more masculinity from your boyfriend, which wouldn't really work out, end of the day, the guy always likes to feel like the bigger person and the girl always wants to feel protected and small.

Despite his height, he is a really masculine guy. He's really confident, has a great career, is fun to be around and gets plenty of attention from other girls taller than him.

The things you mention are things I think about though. I don't even think he's the kind of guy that would let things like that get to him... having said that I don't even know if he'd want to date me.

Original post by Xyspher
It's just height, if you're both happy with eachother then it shouldn't make a difference.

I fancy a girl who's 3-4 inches taller than me but I just feel like she'd think it was weird to go out with a shorter guy . . . sounds like there may be hope . . .

Maybe if you're literally children, sure. Once you reach adulthood people cease giving a **** about that kind of thing.

Original post by ForestShadow
you might get some looks but those who care don't matter and those who matter don't care, you decide your life, not the norms of society

Original post by TheBomber09
Looks a bit odd but shouldn't stop you, and if it does he can't mean much

Original post by atarassia
I'm 5'9". Always dated shorter guys; when you really like someone, height becomes the last thing you think about

love have no borders or walls my sister.

haha wow I was in the similar situation as yourself once, I'm 5'9 too and also dated a guy who was 5'2. despite his short stature he was almost perfect in every other way - very confident, a real gentleman, funny, treated me well, he wasn't even insecure, I mean you could tell he knew he was small but didn't let it affect him etc I was happy to date him (despite all the nasty looks and comments we got - mainly from people who knew us). in the end it just didn't work out (the height difference had nothing to do with it) and despite the fact I miss him the only thing I don't mind is the sore neck/back I always had from having to bend down to kiss him good night. you know people say things like you should always try to overlook the flaws and thats true for the most part but if its detrimental to your health then you shouldn't have to make such a sacrifice for the sake of love. in the same way that everyone defends someone for not wanting to date a morbidly obese people (yes I know that the difference is the weight can be lost!) due to the fact that said person doesn't want to have his organs damaged when squashed during sex. or just doesn't want to lose their partner early from heart disease or diabetes. fact is I'm now with a guy who treats me just as well and hes taller than me and so theres no resentment.

Original post by bi_bish
1st- if you're really interested in this guy then you shouldn't be scared.
2nd- all of those other people won't be in your relationship, so there thoughts don't really matter.
3rd- follow your heart and do what you think is best

Original post by Realitysreflexx
really depends on your personal situation, but if your a very confident girl then this likely wont work, because lets be real you wont respect him.

A guy being 5'10 and a girl 5'2 is very different lol.

A guy being 5'2 and a girl being 5'10 is just weird loo king on the street.

But if its true love attraction can prevail far worse barriers.

Thanks for the replies so far :smile: It's so hard trying to weigh up whether I feel I could cope with people's judgements.

I am a girl :smile:
And I guess it's because society tells us that the man should be taller
He will be a lot more aware of it, than you are. And Im guessing here, he may feel inadequate, so bring it up, but make it light and entertaining.
Dw it's not an issue my gf was 5"1 but she's grown on me over the years.
Personally, I think it's very shallow to factor height into a relationship.
thatIm 15, and 5,3, but personally in my opinion? i couldnt care on size. its about the inside that counts. You two sound like a good match. Dont care about what other people say.
I like a friend of a friend, and I feel he may like me too. We clicked instantly when we met and playfight whenever we see each-other... but I'm 5ft 9 and he's possibly the shortest guy I've met (maybe 5ft 2 - if that). He always finds me in a crowd and I kinda want to hint he take me out some time - but I'm nervous he only considers us to be flirting for bants... because of our height gap. I can't stop thinking about him and it's driving me crazy lol. As stupid as this sounds, I'm also conscious about people talking and / or staring if we date. What's everyone's thoughts?
Personally, dating a guy shorter than me isn't what I'd go for but if you like him OP, it will deffo work out. You can ask him to wear lifts or elevator shoes if he feels insecure next to you in public, it will give him a confidence boost too!
Attachment not found
Go for it OP, **** what everyone else thinks. Do what makes you happy.

Good luck.
Who gives a s***? If you like each other then go for it he can't control his height it would be such a stupid thing to not go out over. Screw what everyone else thinks if people have nothing better to do than talk about who's dating who then they are wasting their lives.
I had to look that up (as you can tell I'm not a GoT fan). He's bangladeshi, which probs explains his height.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending