The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Post-Offer Open Day vs. Industrial Action

I've just received confirmation from UCL that the post-offer open day I was due to attend is going to be affected by the current strike action. The intention is to go ahead with the day as far as possible, but I'm conflicted about attending as I support the action and I've always said I would never cross a picket line. I'm not a member of any union and I'll only be visiting, but I'm still uncomfortable with the idea. Can anyone advise me on the etiquette in this situation, please? Should I still attend?
Original post by Redacted
I've just received confirmation from UCL that the post-offer open day I was due to attend is going to be affected by the current strike action. The intention is to go ahead with the day as far as possible, but I'm conflicted about attending as I support the action and I've always said I would never cross a picket line. I'm not a member of any union and I'll only be visiting, but I'm still uncomfortable with the idea. Can anyone advise me on the etiquette in this situation, please? Should I still attend?

The lecturers are fair in their right to strike.

However, most would also want you to be sure you're comfortable spending your next 3-4 years at UCL. They don't want to teach someone who doesn't want to be there.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Kyber Ninja
The lecturers are fair in their right to strike.

However, most would also want you to be sure you're comfortable spending your next 3-4 years at UCL. They don't want to teach someone who doesn't want to be there.

True enough, although I've already firmed UCL and it's the only uni in the country that offers my chosen degree, so I'll be going there regardless (provided I meet my offer, of course). I'd certainly like to take a look around the campus, but I know the NUS is urging students not to attend classes, etc, in support. Although I'm not a NUS member, I am still a student [just not a UCL student yet], so ... :|
True enough, although I've already firmed UCL and it's the only uni in the country that offers my chosen degree, so I'll be going there regardless (provided I meet my offer, of course). I'd certainly like to take a look around the campus, but I know the NUS is urging students not to attend classes, etc, in support. Although I'm not a NUS member, I am still a student [just not a UCL student yet], so ... :|

Just tell them you're here for an open day; they're not going to mind.

Why would UCL's union actively discourage people from learning more about the uni? They'd also encourage you to go. NUS is for university students after all.
Reply 4
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Just tell them you're here for an open day; they're not going to mind.

Why would UCL's union actively discourage people from learning more about the uni? They'd also encourage you to go. NUS is for university students after all.

That's fair enough. It's a sensitive subject so I'm just being cautious. Thanks for the responses. :smile:
That's fair enough. It's a sensitive subject so I'm just being cautious. Thanks for the responses. :smile:

No worries, have fun.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending