The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Warwick vs Notts Economics

I have offers from Warwick and Nottingham to study BSc Economics and I have no idea which one to put as my firm choice. I really liked Nottingham a lot more than Warwick when I went to the open day, and in general I liked Nottingham more for other reasons (accommodation, campus, social life, city and location), however, the only thing drawing me to Warwick is the rank and prestige of the uni. I want to go into banking/consultancy and I haven't ruled out IB as a career (although I think it is unlikely I will go into IB), however, I want to know if having a degree from Warwick as opposed to Nottingham will severely affect my chances in getting a top job from a top firm? I would want to go to Nottingham instead of Warwick if it doesn't make a huge difference in the long run. Is Nottingham still targeted by top employers in the finance world? Or should I go to Warwick (even though I really didn't like it) to gain an advantage for my future career?

Scroll to see replies

what are your grades, stats, predictions etc.?

By the way, I think warwick is better and there still is that aspect of a good social life. Its not as bad as LSE or UCL. Nottingham does have a decent reputation with employers but have you looked at firms/companies you may look to apply for in the future?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
As far as banking and finance go, Warwick by far outstrips Nottingham in terms of employability - their graduates are actively recruited by banks and the have a lot of "brand name" recognition. In terms of general academia, the Warwick course is quite rigorous, and so very good preparation for a PhD or similar, but this is arguably unnecessary for generic banking and finance jobs (it would be better preparation for a position in quantitative finance or similar I believe though).

However, I would still recommend going with the one you prefer, over any notions of "prestige" or similar. They're both good overall, and either would be perfectly suitable for getting any other general position (e.g. generic non-banking grad schemes and similar - while Warwick certainly pulls a lot of weight with the name alone, a Nottingham grad with a good degree isn't going to be in a considerably worse off position). You will have a much more positive experience going somewhere you actually like though, and this can affect your academic performance (getting a 3rd at Warwick because you hate it there and develop crippling depression isn't going to be better than a 2:1/1st from Nottingham and you having a very good experience all around).
Reply 3
Original post by Hello1236969
what are your grades, stats, predictions etc.?

By the way, I think warwick is better and there still is that aspect of a good social life. Its not as bad as LSE or UCL. Nottingham does have a decent reputation with employers but have you looked at firms/companies you may look to apply for in the future?

9A* 1A at GCSE, 3A 1B at AS, predicted 3A*s. Got rejected from Oxford and UCL:frown: The social life is also worrying me slightly, because whilst academics holds priority for me, a decent social life is also important and I've heard negative things about Warwick in that sense. I have looked at some consultancy firms and I might email them to ask because I can't find much on their targeted unis.
Original post by salonityagi
9A* 1A at GCSE, 3A 1B at AS, predicted 3A*s. Got rejected from Oxford and UCL:frown: The social life is also worrying me slightly, because whilst academics holds priority for me, a decent social life is also important and I've heard negative things about Warwick in that sense. I have looked at some consultancy firms and I might email them to ask because I can't find much on their targeted unis.

what subjects u do? only asking because i got nottingham offer but rejected from warwick.

I cant tell u warwick has a good social life but if your open to people, im sure you will meet others there that are looking for social lives aswell. Although the course is very rigourous as said above so alot of people will just study. I do recommend warwick, but if you feel nottingham was better when you went, by all means firm nottingham. They still are a top 10 uni for econ, a russel group uni, and has a good reputation.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
As far as banking and finance go, Warwick by far outstrips Nottingham in terms of employability - their graduates are actively recruited by banks and the have a lot of "brand name" recognition. In terms of general academia, the Warwick course is quite rigorous, and so very good preparation for a PhD or similar, but this is arguably unnecessary for generic banking and finance jobs (it would be better preparation for a position in quantitative finance or similar I believe though).

However, I would still recommend going with the one you prefer, over any notions of "prestige" or similar. They're both good overall, and either would be perfectly suitable for getting any other general position (e.g. generic non-banking grad schemes and similar - while Warwick certainly pulls a lot of weight with the name alone, a Nottingham grad with a good degree isn't going to be in a considerably worse off position). You will have a much more positive experience going somewhere you actually like though, and this can affect your academic performance (getting a 3rd at Warwick because you hate it there and develop crippling depression isn't going to be better than a 2:1/1st from Nottingham and you having a very good experience all around).

This is my dilemma because I don't know how much of a difference it will make in the long run. I don't know how Warwick would turn out for me, if I chose it, because I could end up liking it. But if the difference in employability isn't significant I'd go with Notts. Also, if if I do BSc Econ from Nottingham with MSc from a top uni e.g. UCL, Warwick or Imperial, would this make a difference in terms of employability in top firms?

MBB definitely recruits a lot more from warwick then notts (don't even know if they recruit there). Other consultancies have in general a much better opinion about warwick. Again the social life is really what you make out of it, and I personally have really enjoyed the community spirit that is developed within societies more than just clubbing with friends. Feel free to PM if you want to know more.
This is my dilemma because I don't know how much of a difference it will make in the long run. I don't know how Warwick would turn out for me, if I chose it, because I could end up liking it. But if the difference in employability isn't significant I'd go with Notts. Also, if if I do BSc Econ from Nottingham with MSc from a top uni e.g. UCL, Warwick or Imperial, would this make a difference in terms of employability in top firms?

what alevels do you do by the way? and what AS-level did you do?
Reply 9
what subjects u do? only asking because i got nottingham offer but rejected from warwick.

Maths, Economics and Bio at A2 and did Chemistry last year but dropped it this year. What about you?
Maths, Economics and Bio at A2 and did Chemistry last year but dropped it this year. What about you?

i did maths, econ and politics.

AAA @ AS
A*A*A* Predictions
gcse: 5A*6As

I really wanted an offer from warwick or ucl but get rejected. I do have nottingham but might take a gap year and reapply next year for warwick/ucl
i did maths, econ and politics.

AAA @ AS
A*A*A* Predictions
gcse: 5A*6As

I really wanted an offer from warwick or ucl but get rejected. I do have nottingham but might take a gap year and reapply next year for warwick/ucl

Same, I really wanted UCL and was so upset when I didn't get it. Now I have to choose between Warwick and Notts and I'm so confused.

I imagine it would be similar although I have no data to speak for on the matter. However regardless of whether it's better or worse from the investment banks perspectives, it's considerably more expensive as the relevant courses tend to have extortionate tuition fees, far in excess of the postgrad loan amount.

I'd point out that when accounting for the number of additional hours you'd be expected to work without any specific pay increases, you wouldn't be earning much more than at a standard grad scheme (if not McDonalds) as an analyst - and unless your dream is to be a hedge fund manager (aka, destroying the lives of anyone with less than 7 figures in their bank account for your own greed), it really isn't going to make a difference for working in the business world generally whether you work a few years as a banking analyst or in a grad scheme. This is quite aside from the point that such grad schemes and the roles they lead to are more than enough to live comfortably on if you aren't living in central London...
I have offers from Warwick and Nottingham to study BSc Economics and I have no idea which one to put as my firm choice. I really liked Nottingham a lot more than Warwick when I went to the open day, and in general I liked Nottingham more for other reasons (accommodation, campus, social life, city and location), however, the only thing drawing me to Warwick is the rank and prestige of the uni. I want to go into banking/consultancy and I haven't ruled out IB as a career (although I think it is unlikely I will go into IB), however, I want to know if having a degree from Warwick as opposed to Nottingham will severely affect my chances in getting a top job from a top firm? I would want to go to Nottingham instead of Warwick if it doesn't make a huge difference in the long run. Is Nottingham still targeted by top employers in the finance world? Or should I go to Warwick (even though I really didn't like it) to gain an advantage for my future career?

Do a LinkedIn browse, plenty from Nottingham still get into IB. I hold similar reasons to you, plus the course, and so that's why I'm likely going to decline UCL for Notts econ. If you have the academics, which you have, and stand out experience then you should be gucci.
For consultancy UCL could be better, but getting into an MSc programme after undergrad at UCL would do you fine. Bear in mind, they're extremely costly..
Hey this post is coming from someone who recently dropped out of the University of Warwick (first year).

Like you, when I went to Warwick’s open day I wasn’t that impressed, the place didn’t thrill me with excitement. However, at the time I was on the gap year and to be honest with you I couldn’t be bothered to reapply to UCAS, so I stuck with my offer to study there. I mean how bad could it be? It was high on the league tables, a target for many employers (I was studying a course at WBS).

However, when I got there I knew I had made a mistake, I should have trusted my gut feeling about the uni. You see I am someone who likes to party and Warwick just doesn’t cut it, compared to my friends at other uni’s my freshers was pretty bad. I didn’t like the vibe of the place and its location; Coventry isn’t the best and even though Warwick is near Leamington Spa which admittedly is a really nice town, I can imagine getting the bus there and back every day to be quite an inconvenience in second and third year. Especially in the winter when you might have to wait at the bus stop in the freezing cold for up to half an hour. The buses are seriously crowded. After waiting so long for the bus remember the journey back is also another half an hour.

Clubs are decent-ish, however Ive been to clubs in London, Leeds and Brighton and I’m sorry but they just do not compare. Don’t even get me started on ‘circling’ in the Warwick SU, it’s an absolute joke.

If you’re someone who likes clubbing and wants a great social life, Id personally choose Notts, its still a high ranking uni, targeted by employers. You will get bored at Warwick because you will run of things to do, the nights out are very repetitive, trust me. However, if you are 100% set on IB, and want to sacrifice your soul (which you do anyway in that job area) then Warwick is the place for you!! In all honesty, Warwick is the go-to uni if you aren’t interested in partying and don’t like to drink, Im sure you would meet plenty of like-minded people and have a great time. It all depends on what type of person you are. If you aren’t convinced from what i'm saying and still want to go, I’d recommend applying to Rootes/Jack Martin/Arthur Vick accommodation to maximise your chance of a decent social life, please avoid the quiet areas such as Lakeside village at all costs.

I wish someone had told me this before I went because now im another year behind everyone else and by the time I finish my first year at university, my friends would have graduated, please consider VERY carefully before choosing your university.
Original post by Spotlight1
Hey this post is coming from someone who recently dropped out of the University of Warwick (first year).

Like you, when I went to Warwick’s open day I wasn’t that impressed, the place didn’t thrill me with excitement. However, at the time I was on the gap year and to be honest with you I couldn’t be bothered to reapply to UCAS, so I stuck with my offer to study there. I mean how bad could it be? It was high on the league tables, a target for many employers (I was studying a course at WBS).

However, when I got there I knew I had made a mistake, I should have trusted my gut feeling about the uni. You see I am someone who likes to party and Warwick just doesn’t cut it, compared to my friends at other uni’s my freshers was pretty bad. I didn’t like the vibe of the place and its location; Coventry isn’t the best and even though Warwick is near Leamington Spa which admittedly is a really nice town, I can imagine getting the bus there and back every day to be quite an inconvenience in second and third year. Especially in the winter when you might have to wait at the bus stop in the freezing cold for up to half an hour. The buses are seriously crowded. After waiting so long for the bus remember the journey back is also another half an hour.

Clubs are decent-ish, however Ive been to clubs in London, Leeds and Brighton and I’m sorry but they just do not compare. Don’t even get me started on ‘circling’ in the Warwick SU, it’s an absolute joke.

If you’re someone who likes clubbing and wants a great social life, Id personally choose Notts, its still a high ranking uni, targeted by employers. You will get bored at Warwick because you will run of things to do, the nights out are very repetitive, trust me. However, if you are 100% set on IB, and want to sacrifice your soul (which you do anyway in that job area) then Warwick is the place for you!! In all honesty, Warwick is the go-to uni if you aren’t interested in partying and don’t like to drink, Im sure you would meet plenty of like-minded people and have a great time. It all depends on what type of person you are. If you aren’t convinced from what i'm saying and still want to go, I’d recommend applying to Rootes/Jack Martin/Arthur Vick accommodation to maximise your chance of a decent social life, please avoid the quiet areas such as Lakeside village at all costs.

I wish someone had told me this before I went because now im another year behind everyone else and by the time I finish my first year at university, my friends would have graduated, please consider VERY carefully before choosing your university.

Can I ask, what course did you study? And if you don't mind me asking, did you drop out, purely because the social life wasn't good enough? Or was it to do with your course as well? Thank you for this, it is definitely useful. Do people go to Leamington often or do most people cba to go, because I can imagine that many can't be bothered to trek there and back on a night out so is this the case? I mean, I'm not a huge party person who will go out every night and academics does hold priority for me when choosing my uni. However a good social life comes in as a close second priority and I would want to experience decent nightlife whilst I'm at uni. I want to work hard but also have a lot of fun so I guess I'm weighing nightlife vs the rank and rep of each uni in the decision I'm making. I'm still so confused!!
Original post by Ze Witcher
Do a LinkedIn browse, plenty from Nottingham still get into IB. I hold similar reasons to you, plus the course, and so that's why I'm likely going to decline UCL for Notts econ. If you have the academics, which you have, and stand out experience then you should be gucci.
For consultancy UCL could be better, but getting into an MSc programme after undergrad at UCL would do you fine. Bear in mind, they're extremely costly..

You're going to decline UCL for Notts, how come?! UCL was my first choice and I had my heart set on UCL until I got rejected which was the worst day of my life lol. What are your stats, predicted grades etc, if you don't mind me asking? And what exactly do you mean by stand out Experience?? Like internships, SW and work experience??
Reply 17
It definietly won't affect your chances of getting a top job my mum works in a school and the headteacher actually went to Nottingham uni and he's really proud to say it.
Can I ask, what course did you study? And if you don't mind me asking, did you drop out, purely because the social life wasn't good enough? Or was it to do with your course as well? Thank you for this, it is definitely useful. Do people go to Leamington often or do most people cba to go, because I can imagine that many can't be bothered to trek there and back on a night out so is this the case? I mean, I'm not a huge party person who will go out every night and academics does hold priority for me when choosing my uni. However a good social life comes in as a close second priority and I would want to experience decent nightlife whilst I'm at uni. I want to work hard but also have a lot of fun so I guess I'm weighing nightlife vs the rank and rep of each uni in the decision I'm making. I'm still so confused!!

Yes it was due to the course as well (management). I decided that it also wasn't for me and now I have applied for a completely different degree subject entirely.

People do go to Leamington often because there really isn't that many other decent places to go. There is also Birmingham however, which is great for shopping but again its a bit of a trek.

I totally get where you're coming from with academics especially since Economics is known to be an intensive course, youll probably be drowning in work during second and third year anyway and have less time to party, as opposed to WBS course which are still demanding but not as intense as economics.
(edited 6 years ago)
I am in a similar situation to you but i got rejected from ucl and warwick econ. I am considering taking up my offer of econ at nottingham which is quite a well-regarded course to maximise my chances of getting top jobs. Im also someone that wants that social life and partying lifestyle by the way.

I will see how job-hunting goes, and if it doesnt go well, ill prob do a masters at LSE, UCL or one of them wet unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending