The Student Room Group

How much do I need for medicine

So I am currently in y10 and I have chosen biology,chemistry,physics,french,and history( compulsory are:math,english lit english lang and re) and the thing is I dont know if I should do further maths because I feel like it might be too much with my choices( I want to go into medicine) and I dont know if I should drop physics if its not necessary for medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Madadi11
So I am currently in y10 and I have chosen biology,chemistry,physics,french,and history( compulsory are:math,english lit english lang and re) and the thing is I dont know if I should do further maths because I feel like it might be too much with my choices( I want to go into medicine) and I dont know if I should drop physics if its not necessary for medicine

You only need a minimum of 9 GCSEs for probably every medical school.

You shouldn’t be dropping physics. There’s some physics in medicine. There is no need to do further maths.

Overall, your GCSE choices don’t matter much. Your current selection is fine.
Reply 2
Original post by S.G.
You only need a minimum of 9 GCSEs for probably every medical school.

You shouldn’t be dropping physics. There’s some physics in medicine. There is no need to do further maths.

Overall, your GCSE choices don’t matter much. Your current selection is fine.

Because I might want to do maths a level so I dont know if I should do further maths because apparently it helps
Reply 3
Because I might want to do maths a level so I dont know if I should do further maths because apparently it helps

It’s really not that necessary. I only did Maths GCSE and I was fine with Maths and Further Maths at A level.

If you want to do it then you can, but it’s not mandatory to do it to succeed in A level maths.
Reply 4

If you do FM, you will probably have to do four A levels. I know that Bart's doesn't accept a combination of both Maths and Further Maths, so candidates offering the two have to offer two more A levels.

If you're happy with doing four A levels, then go ahead, but it's certainly easier to do three and easier to get higher grades as well.
Reply 5
Original post by MR1999
If you do FM, you will probably have to do four A levels. I know that Bart's doesn't accept a combination of both Maths and Further Maths, so candidates offering the two have to offer two more A levels.

If you're happy with doing four A levels, then go ahead, but it's certainly easier to do three and easier to get higher grades as well.

Because I am thinking of doing Chemistry Biology and Maths and something else but I feel like if I do further maths then it will be too much work even though I am in the top class and do very well and do extension work now
Reply 6
Original post by S.G.
It’s really not that necessary. I only did Maths GCSE and I was fine with Maths and Further Maths at A level.

If you want to do it then you can, but it’s not mandatory to do it to succeed in A level maths.

Did you do just maths for gcse and did you find a level maths hard
Reply 7
Did you do just maths for gcse and did you find a level maths hard

I only did Maths for GCSE and did Maths and FM at A level. Maths was easy. FM was slightly harder but I definitely don’t think I missed out anything by not doing Further Maths GCSE.
Reply 8
Original post by S.G.
I only did Maths for GCSE and did Maths and FM at A level. Maths was easy. FM was slightly harder but I definitely don’t think I missed out anything by not doing Further Maths GCSE.

Apparently if you do further maths then it will help you with your physics
Reply 9
Apparently if you do further maths then it will help you with your physics

I can’t say as I’ve never done GCSE further maths.

At the end of the day, if I were in your position, I’d taking the following subjects
English Literature
English Language
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Religious Education
French
History

You can’t go wrong with that combination.
Reply 10
Original post by S.G.
I can’t say as I’ve never done GCSE further maths.

At the end of the day, if I were in your position, I’d taking the following subjects
English Literature
English Language
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Religious Education
French
History

You can’t go wrong with that combination.

I feel like since medicine is so competitive that I am pressurised to do it as it might make me stand out but I dont know ive just been really stressed lately ( I might take further maths and drop it if it is too much)
Reply 11
I feel like since medicine is so competitive that I am pressurised to do it as it might make me stand out but I dont know ive just been really stressed lately ( I might take further maths and drop it if it is too much)

Having an extra Further Maths GCSE is going to make next to nothing impact on your application.

Seriously, you are getting way too worried about this. It’s not going to make or break your application.
your choices are fine.
i’m in year 10 wanting to do medicine and ive got basically the same, just a few more gcses but it’s quality not quantity :yep:
Reply 13
Original post by S.G.
Having an extra Further Maths GCSE is going to make next to nothing impact on your application.

Seriously, you are getting way too worried about this. It’s not going to make or break your application.

Yes people have said that I worry too much about it but I feel like I might regret it if I dont take it so I might do what I said above but im still not sure

Original post by S.G.

Reply 14
Around £45000
Reply 15
Yes people have said that I worry too much about it but I feel like I might regret it if I dont take it so I might do what I said above but im still not sure

Well I can’t help you much more. I’m in medical school now and from my experiences you aren’t going to need it.

The rest is up to you.
Reply 16
Original post by S.G.
Well I can’t help you much more. I’m in medical school now and from my experiences you aren’t going to need it.

The rest is up to you.

What did you do for a levels and gcse
Reply 17
Original post by clouddbubbles
your choices are fine.
i’m in year 10 wanting to do medicine and ive got basically the same, just a few more gcses but it’s quality not quantity :yep:

Our school only allows us 5 choices and 4 compulsory and further maths to those who are capable
Reply 18
What did you do for a levels and gcse

For GCSE: English language, English literature, maths, biology, chemistry, physics, ICT, RE, Geography, History, Spanish

For A level: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.
Reply 19
Original post by aceplayyt
Around £45000

Pardon??

Quick Reply

Latest