The Student Room Group

How much do I need for medicine

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Madadi11
Apparently if you do further maths then it will help you with your physics

I did physics A-level and didn’t do any A-level maths, still was the top in my class. It really doesn’t hinder you at all.
Reply 21
Original post by S.G.
For GCSE: English language, English literature, maths, biology, chemistry, physics, ICT, RE, Geography, History, Spanish

For A level: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.

And do unis look at your gcse
Reply 22
Original post by S.G.
For GCSE: English language, English literature, maths, biology, chemistry, physics, ICT, RE, Geography, History, Spanish

For A level: Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths.

Reply 23
Pardon??

How "much" money you need :P
Reply 24

Yes, almost all of them do. Each university has their own policy.

I wouldn’t concern myself with any of this in Year 10. Right now your sole focus is to do as well as you can in your GCSEs.
Reply 25
Original post by ax12
I did physics A-level and didn’t do any A-level maths, still was the top in my class. It really doesn’t hinder you at all.

As in for gcse apparently doing further maths gcse helps with gcse physics
Reply 26

I did physics GCSE without further maths too and it was fine. Don’t do too much when you really don’t need to, unless you love maths and are desperate to do it.
I’m year 11 - and we were going to do further maths but we are not anymore due to the new spec of maths and the difficulty it brings with it - id stick just with maths and smash it.

Also I am triple science and they offered us to do 2 higher papers for the ones we want (bearing in mind triple is harder) and 1 foundation for the subject you just want to pass so you could always do that if you were struggling but I would recommend sticking to the 3 sciences
Reply 28
Original post by S0PHIESB
I’m year 11 - and we were going to do further maths but we are not anymore due to the new spec of maths and the difficulty it brings with it - id stick just with maths and smash it.

Also I am triple science and they offered us to do 2 higher papers for the ones we want (bearing in mind triple is harder) and 1 foundation for the subject you just want to pass so you could always do that if you were struggling but I would recommend sticking to the 3 sciences

See I might try it and if its too much drop it because I might want to do maths a level some people say its better to do further maths gcse to do maths a level but some people say you dont
It will undoubtedly help - but don’t overdo it so your other grades lack, I am planning on doing maths A level too. Definitely go for it if you feel confident but it’s not necessary to do it - there is always a big jump from gcse to A level so further maths may help. What grade are you now?
I’m in year 10. I also want a career in medicine. I took Alle cores French, Geography, Health and Social and Triple Science.I’m sticking with Triple science and focusing on that as a level math isn’t mandatory. Also I think you should do stuff that you enjoy for a level and I’m sure it’s going to get harder. Good luck though.
Reply 31
Original post by S0PHIESB
It will undoubtedly help - but don’t overdo it so your other grades lack, I am planning on doing maths A level too. Definitely go for it if you feel confident but it’s not necessary to do it - there is always a big jump from gcse to A level so further maths may help. What grade are you now?

I always get like 100% in unit test and I got 97% in my Christmas and I am in the top class and do extensions
Wow!! In that case you can definitely do it
most schools dont even provide further maths gcse (mine didnt) and unis know that so im 100% sure you dont

Who told you this? The hardest GCSE physics gets is using sine when you get to the optics sections (if your exam board even does that) - literally GCSE physics is mostly concepts and the maths is just your basic multiplication, division and rearranging. You're overreacting wayyyy too much - which I understand because that's how I felt like in your position.

Seriously, if anything, you need to keep the physics and drop the further maths if it's too much for you. Physics is a core required subject whereas most people don't even have the option of doing further maths GCSE so it doesn't really add anything to your stats except an extra 9/8 if you achieve that.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest