The Student Room Group

Leeds vs Sheffield Uni

If there are students here that have lived or attended either uni, can you tell me more about the nightlife, accomadation, how friendly the area is, and just the uni in general? Ive done a lot of research but Im still torn between the two.

Thanks!
Reply 1
I applied for Leeds University, ended up going to Nottingham and then Sheffield for masters. I LOVE Sheffield. It's a big city but also extremely green and the university campus is really great. Nightlife - most students go out on Wednesday and Saturday to the SU, which is great (voted best SU in the country) but you also have west street which is a street with loads of bars and clubs. The nightlife is great and really diverse so you've got house, disco, live music etc. First year accommodation is in Endcliffe and it's quite far out (like a half an hour walk to the centre) which sucks BUT everyone does it so maybe it's not so bad if you're walkig with friends. Sheffield generally is very friendly. I don't know where you're from but I'm from down south and realised that northerners are SO friendly. The university is also very welcoming. All 3 libraries are great, the sport is incredible and open to beginners and those competing at a high level, the gym is great and massive, the SU has everything.

I would really recommend Sheffield!

If you have any more questions feel free to message me! (I study law and do lacrosse and climbing)
Reply 2
Original post by MuffyB
I applied for Leeds University, ended up going to Nottingham and then Sheffield for masters. I LOVE Sheffield. It's a big city but also extremely green and the university campus is really great. Nightlife - most students go out on Wednesday and Saturday to the SU, which is great (voted best SU in the country) but you also have west street which is a street with loads of bars and clubs. The nightlife is great and really diverse so you've got house, disco, live music etc. First year accommodation is in Endcliffe and it's quite far out (like a half an hour walk to the centre) which sucks BUT everyone does it so maybe it's not so bad if you're walkig with friends. Sheffield generally is very friendly. I don't know where you're from but I'm from down south and realised that northerners are SO friendly. The university is also very welcoming. All 3 libraries are great, the sport is incredible and open to beginners and those competing at a high level, the gym is great and massive, the SU has everything.

I would really recommend Sheffield!

If you have any more questions feel free to message me! (I study law and do lacrosse and climbing)

I like climbing too! I also know that sheffield have lake district and other green areas around the corner. Is it an expensive city to live in? Thank you btw!
Reply 3
Original post by gigi77774
I like climbing too! I also know that sheffield have lake district and other green areas around the corner. Is it an expensive city to live in? Thank you btw!

The climbing is awesome! Foundry is in walking distance and the Climbing Works a bus ride away or there are clubs (Sheffield climbers or Sheffield medic climbers) who do carpooling there. It's a great city if you like climbing - I mean it's the hub of climbing. Peak district is a 20 mins drive away and absolutely beautiful and well worth a trip. I live 5 minutes away from campus yet I live directly in the middle of 3 parks so it's great for running, walking, wanting a nice outlook or walk to uni. Compared to my hometown (Milton Keynes) it is SO cheap. You can get the bus for £1, drinks for £2, pizzas for £5 - generally it's an extremely cheap city to live and eat in.
Reply 4
Original post by MuffyB
The climbing is awesome! Foundry is in walking distance and the Climbing Works a bus ride away or there are clubs (Sheffield climbers or Sheffield medic climbers) who do carpooling there. It's a great city if you like climbing - I mean it's the hub of climbing. Peak district is a 20 mins drive away and absolutely beautiful and well worth a trip. I live 5 minutes away from campus yet I live directly in the middle of 3 parks so it's great for running, walking, wanting a nice outlook or walk to uni. Compared to my hometown (Milton Keynes) it is SO cheap. You can get the bus for £1, drinks for £2, pizzas for £5 - generally it's an extremely cheap city to live and eat in.

Im more towards Sheffield now eventhough I was set on Leeds for a long time :cry:what was the reason for not going to leeds in the end?
Reply 5
Original post by gigi77774
Im more towards Sheffield now eventhough I was set on Leeds for a long time :cry:what was the reason for not going to leeds in the end?

I chose against Leeds because it is just such a big city and university that I wanted more of a central base. That's why I went for Nottingham cos it's must smaller. Sheffield is much smaller than Leeds and I like it because you essentially have the centre for shopping, west street for bars, clubs and restaurants, and campus for uni gym, lectures, library etc. However, Leeds is an amazing city and some friends who went there absolutely love it.
Reply 6
Bump xxx

Quick Reply

Latest