The Student Room Group

Higher Geography 2017/2018

There doesn't seem to be a higher geography thread yet so I thought I would make one :smile:

How's everyone's assignments and course doing?

Maison
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Higher Geography is a shambles for me aha, my assignment isn't happening and neither is the physical course work 🙈

How are you finding crashing higher? Must be quite difficult! I noticed that in my human courses a lot of the information we learned last year!
Higher geography is a shambles for me too, I have no idea what to do for the assignment findings - I am doing “Should Mumbai (Dharavi) have the same housing strategies as Morocco (Bidonvilles)” any help would be much appreciated! Fair play to you crashing higher this year, I liked N5 but have found with Higher there is so much more to know in a lot more detail!
Is this for GCSE?
Reply 4
Original post by Lren10
Higher Geography is a shambles for me aha, my assignment isn't happening and neither is the physical course work 🙈

How are you finding crashing higher? Must be quite difficult! I noticed that in my human courses a lot of the information we learned last year!

Awful :frown: It doesn't help that my teacher is the opposite of helpful.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by kirsty4211
Higher geography is a shambles for me too, I have no idea what to do for the assignment findings - I am doing “Should Mumbai (Dharavi) have the same housing strategies as Morocco (Bidonvilles)” any help would be much appreciated! Fair play to you crashing higher this year, I liked N5 but have found with Higher there is so much more to know in a lot more detail!

Shame I can't help you with your assignment as I did something completely different. If it helps my write up came to around 7 sides of A4 paper. I regret crashing higher a lot actually ahahahaha I didn't think it would be as difficult as it is. I understand all the information and its easy to remember its just I have no idea how marks are gained and end up writing too much or too little.
Good luck on your assignment, I know if you type into Google "SQA Understanding Standards" then it gives you sample assignments and what mark they were given.
Reply 6
Original post by Kangaroo17
Is this for GCSE?

No, Higher. I think Higher is the equivalent to A Level in England?
Original post by maisie_134
There doesn't seem to be a higher geography thread yet so I thought I would make one :smile:

I'm crashing higher geography this year so I really have no idea what I'm doing... but i'm trying! Any questions I will try to answer :smile:

Original post by Lren10

Hi everyone! :wavey:

I've moved this thread over to Scottish qualifications for you, and hopefully a few others doing Higher Geography will join in the discussion! :smile:

For my assignment I'm comparing the health and development in 3 different countries and oh my, I got my first draft back and the teacher pretty much said it was rubbish (in not so many words). Turns out you actually have to research the countries you're studying... thought I just had to apply basic knowledge but nevermind. I didn't even really want Geography, I can get decent marks in it but I don't enjoy it that much; I wanted Psychology
Reply 9
Did anybody else do their assignment before christmas?? My class done ours around October-November time as we went on a trip down to the Lake District to do investigations and research.
I done my assignment before Christmas too. I am so glad that we did now that I’m currently trying to complete ones for my other subjects.
I find the physical course notes difficult to memorise. Hoping that our exam has a pretty good formation of a feature question.

I'm crashing higher geography this year so I really have no idea what I'm doing... but i'm trying! Any questions I will try to answer :smile:

Original post by Lren10

Original post by kerry678
Did anybody else do their assignment before christmas?? My class done ours around October-November time as we went on a trip down to the Lake District to do investigations and research.

Original post by bwilliamson
I done my assignment before Christmas too. I am so glad that we did now that I’m currently trying to complete ones for my other subjects.
I find the physical course notes difficult to memorise. Hoping that our exam has a pretty good formation of a feature question.

:wavey: How are you all getting on with the course and exam revision?
I find the physical unit really difficult to remember! The rest is not too bad.
I have dropped it down to units! Crashing it was too hard and I have been given no support from my teacher :/ I tried asking for help by doing exam questions at home and bringing them in but she says "I might look at them, but I probably won't mark it".... Helpful. I gave her exam answers I had done at home (Ones i struggled with in the prelim/mock exam) 3/4 weeks ago and have nothing back and it was a question i struggled with the most. I did enjoy geography but with no support or help in passing the course I'm a lost cause. Luckily I don't need geography but it could have still been another Higher Qualification.

That's rubbish that your teacher hasn't been very supportive :frown: I know they have a lot of pressure and a lot of classes, but that is really rubbish for you...It does seem like quite a difficult higher to crash though it is a shame you're not getting the full qualification out of it. Guess it gives you more time to concentrate on your other subjects at least :redface:
Original post by Labrador99
That's rubbish that your teacher hasn't been very supportive :frown: I know they have a lot of pressure and a lot of classes, but that is really rubbish for you...It does seem like quite a difficult higher to crash though it is a shame you're not getting the full qualification out of it. Guess it gives you more time to concentrate on your other subjects at least :redface:

Yes, i'm trying to look on the brighter side of it but it is unfortunate, I really did try my best in that class but... I guess you can't be good at everything!
Yes, i'm trying to look on the brighter side of it but it is unfortunate, I really did try my best in that class but... I guess you can't be good at everything!

Yeah, maybe it just wasn't meant to be...Well, best of luck with your other exams then :smile:
Can anyone here offer any help?

Original post by Amylousie22
Do you need to know anything about coastal defence (like sea walls and groynes) bc my teacher went over them but I've never seen them in past papers or textbooks

Here's the thread i mentioned- hopefully someone will be able to clarify what you need to know :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Labrador99
Can anyone here offer any help?

Here's the thread i mentioned- hopefully someone will be able to clarify what you need to know :smile:

We haven't learned about those particularly, I think you only need it for the 10 mark question at the end perhaps.
Does anyone have any predictions about what questions will come up in the exam?? Here are mine:

Physical:

- HYDROSPHERE!!! (It hasn’t come up since 2015)
- coastal formations (possibly coastal conflicts/solutions)
- global heat budget OR oceanic circulation OR itcz impacts
- brown Earth OR podzol formations

Human:

- housing problems OR housing solutions & effectiveness (developed city)
- solutions & effectiveness to land degradation
- population pyramids

Global issues (depends what you’ve studied, here are my predictions for Development & Health and Climate Change):

- factors affecting development

- human (possibly physical too) causes of climate change
I think the need for management of housing or traffic will come up. Our teacher went over it yesterday as he found it in the course notes he was oven when they changed to the new higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending