The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rauhan
u should download 'grammarly' on ur phone/tablet/iPad/laptop and take a membership there; it will actually help u see/correct if ur essay is plagiarized or not, its really helpful.

Totally unnecessary. People know if they've plagiarised. The solution? Understanding what plagiarism is and not doing it. Simple.

OP - the punishment will depend on the severity of what you did.
My girlfriends friend had the same as you. Caught plagiarising and then ordered into a meeting to discuss her future. They ended up letting her resubmit (capped at 40%) - which is better than nothing in my opinion.I’m pretty sure they only ‘let you off’ so lightly in the first year though, and will likely be double checking some of your work in future.Good luck, I hope it works out for you!
There has to be an update - what happened?
Original post by Lana C
I am in deep **** here I been caught plagarising in my 1st year at uni I face a hearing tomorrow what could happen to me, I am so scared that I could be kicked out my parents will kill me as they are basically funding my university help!

You need to ask your uni. It depends on your uni and course. We aren’t the judge and don’t know exactly what you did. :smile: hopefully that helps.
you can't control what they do but you can control how you handle it. Don't deflect the blame or defend yourself when you speak with them, you need to tell them you're genuinely sorry and you really want to study at the uni. It's their choice though ultimately
Original post by johnKiwi
Core is that they need to prove with evidence that is beyond balance of probabilies, ie a civil prosecution. You can defend it by asking for the evidence and get a lawyer in to review it. There are always defences. Could be that you were with others and relied upon their work, so can plead 'migitation' that it was not 100% your fault.If you did it, then options are to defend it, and see how strong their case is. Might be gossip and no substance. Otherwise can plead guilty, and then they can remit your case for clemancy. End is that what is the plea bargain you can get. If you talk to anyone employed at the university, they are on the other side and can be used against you, as a witness. You can only talk to a lawyer and get protection. Best bet, See a lawyer fast. This is not legal advice and should not be taken as such. Lastly honesty helps. If you stole work while in a company, then its jail. Think next time and do an honest days work...Leave WallSt films to be the on screen crooks.KindlyJJ

No, No, No. Don't spend money on solicitors. Unis use software to detect plagiarism so you won't have a leg to stand on. If you relied on others' work, then they'll get caught too!!! Perhaps you could claim reaction to stress and hope for clemency. Good luck!
Reply 26
Universities usually have advice centres run by student's, sometimes run by Law students, which could be your first port of call. If it's your first time you will probably just be penalised. Would imagine others will have plagiarized in the past, obviously they use detection software these days.
Did your turnitin score show up the plagerism?Without the full details it is difficult to comment. My usual defence is to plead blonde, it’s you’re first year and you didn’t fully understand what plagerism is. Fingers crossed for you.
what was the outcome?
Reply 29
Original post by louise48
Did your turnitin score show up the plagerism?Without the full details it is difficult to comment. My usual defence is to plead blonde, it’s you’re first year and you didn’t fully understand what plagerism is. Fingers crossed for you.

yeah they detected it through turntin, they are making me resit the assignment and capped at 40% told if it happens again I will be disqualified, I study Sport Science.
Original post by Lana C
yeah they detected it through turntin, they are making me resit the assignment and capped at 40% told if it happens again I will be disqualified, I study Sport Science.

Phew it could of been worse. A lesson learnt. Good luck for the future years x
Tell your teacher that you are sorry for what you did and apologize. What happens next is up to the instructor and may be based entirely upon the uni guidelines, so don’t expect the apology to change the outcome. But it is the mature thing to do and will go a long way to help you over time.
You might ask your instructor for help in not plagiarizing again.
girl...you need to learn how to cheat...here are 6 simple steps.
step 1: copy from wiki
step 2: put it through a plagiarism check
step 3: delete from wiki everything it found
step 4: put it through again
step 5: ......
step 6: profit.
Or the OP could resolve to take a more proactive approach to their writing and learning in general. The amount of grammar and spelling errors in their forum posts suggest a general laziness with regards to use of things like dictionaries or the hours of teaching that some poor primary school teacher had to give them. For goodness sakes, you've misspelled the word plagiarism in your post title. That spelling error wouldn't be accepted from an 11 year old, how are so many people nowadays graduating primary school without knowing how and when to use tools like dictionaries and thesaurus'? You need to work on being more meticulous and less lazy in ALL of your writing otherwise you're probably undeserving of a degree, plagiarism or no plagiarism. I know this sounds harsh but it's true.
(edited 6 years ago)
You broke the law and, law won.
Original post by NapierNurse
Or the OP could resolve to take a more proactive approach to their writing and learning in general. The amount of grammar and spelling errors in their forum posts suggest a general laziness with regards to use of things like dictionaries or the hours of teaching that some poor primary school teacher had to give them. For goodness sakes, you've misspelled the word plagiarism in your post title. That spelling error wouldn't be accepted from an 11 year old, how are so many people nowadays graduating primary school without knowing how and when to use tools like dictionaries and thesaurus'? You need to work on being more meticulous and less lazy in ALL of your writing otherwise you're probably undeserving of a degree, plagiarism or no plagiarism. I know this sounds harsh but it's true.

Who are you to judge? this person COULD be dyslexic! Or laid back enough to realise that this is a forum which is not a marked piece of work!

Especially when your writing is not free from error. 🤷*♀️
Original post by Lana C
I am in deep **** here I been caught plagarising in my 1st year at uni I face a hearing tomorrow what could happen to me, I am so scared that I could be kicked out my parents will kill me as they are basically funding my university help!

Yes yo are in deep **** my uni would kick you out for plagiarising almost for sure. Personally I'd be packing my bags right now you knew you would risk getting kicked out if you plagiarised and you still did i that's really dumb.

When you leave the hearing make sure you pick up your Mc Donalds application.
Original post by NapierNurse

I can see you don't post much on TSR.
You made me lol though.
Just f*cking lol at you buddy boyo, it's over now as plagiarising is a death sentence
Original post by jonathanemptage
Yes yo are in deep **** my uni would kick you out for plagiarising almost for sure. Personally I'd be packing my bags right now you knew you would risk getting kicked out if you plagiarised and you still did i that's really dumb.

When you leave the hearing make sure you pick up your Mc Donalds application.

Wow that was helpful.
If you'd bother to read the thread, which is from February, then you would see the matter was already resolved and they were not kicked out.

Notwithstanding it was really foolish by the OP.

Latest

Trending

Trending