The Student Room Group

GCSE Options - Help & Opinions

I’m thinking of doing Dual Humanities (history & geography) and I want to hear your opinions.
I’m doing French, computer science or film studies. Which one do you think is better?
I can’t pick between history and geography. I like both subjects but history more. However I have a higher level in geography.
(edited 6 years ago)
I do both history and geography at GCSE and although there is alot of work combined through the two, they are really enjoyable! However, if you do decide to only take 1, choose the one you enjoy more so in your case history. Even though you get higher grades in geography, when you enjoy a subject more you will be more likely wanting to revise the content therefore you may end up with a higher grade in history. Hope this helps :smile: If you have any more questions I'll be happy to try and answer them!
Computer science is often a respected GCSE as the course is known to be challenging. It's all based on what you want to be when you're older. For the geography and history, GCSEs are demanding and can be stressful, you need to pick subjects you are going to enjoy. History is more long-answer essay style questions but if that's your strong point then I recommend it
Reply 3
Original post by ambertreharne
I do both history and geography at GCSE and although there is alot of work combined through the two, they are really enjoyable! However, if you do decide to only take 1, choose the one you enjoy more so in your case history. Even though you get higher grades in geography, when you enjoy a subject more you will be more likely wanting to revise the content therefore you may end up with a higher grade in history. Hope this helps :smile: If you have any more questions I'll be happy to try and answer them!

Which one do you enjoy more and which ones easier?
Reply 4
Original post by Joseph.C.
Computer science is often a respected GCSE as the course is known to be challenging. It's all based on what you want to be when you're older. For the geography and history, GCSEs are demanding and can be stressful, you need to pick subjects you are going to enjoy. History is more long-answer essay style questions but if that's your strong point then I recommend it

Thank you but I think I’ll enjoy film studies more. Will I be able to take CS at a level, if you know
Original post by pjafm
Which one do you enjoy more and which ones easier?

I personally enjoy history more as I find the topics so intresting my school do and I also find it easier as writing is my strong point. However, this is not to say geography is difficult! I just don't like learning case studies :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by ambertreharne
I personally enjoy history more as I find the topics so intresting my school do and I also find it easier as writing is my strong point. However, this is not to say geography is difficult! I just don't like learning case studies :smile:

I love history but not the topics my school has. The only interesting ones is Nazi and Weimar germany. What topics does your school have?
I also don’t like physical geography as much as I like human. Thank you!
Original post by pjafm
I love history but not the topics my school has. The only interesting ones is Nazi and Weimar germany. What topics does your school have?
I also don’t like physical geography as much as I like human. Thank you!

I'm on the WJEC exam board and the topics my teacher chose are:
- The Elizabethan Era
- USA Nation of Contrasts 1910-1929
- We have to study one of the following (my teacher hasn't decided which one yet) crime and punishment, health and medicine, development of warfare or patterns of migration
- Then we have to study something for our NEA but again my teacher hasn't decided

Same as me, I much prefer human geography!

Quick Reply

Latest