The Student Room Group

A-Levels for NatSci

I've recently heard that most people who do Natsci at Cambridge have 4 A-Levels. I really want to apply to Cambridge for Biology Natsci but I'm concerned that having a language as one of my 4 A-Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French) will make me appear as a much weaker candidate when I apply. If anyone could help that would be great!
Three sciences are encouraged, which you will have... so you're fine! Since you aren't applying for Physical NatSci you don't need further maths (and it wouldn't really make a difference if you took it instead of French). If you enjoy French then go ahead and it. It is a bit more diverse and makes you appear a bit more well-rounded :yep: Also having 4 A-levels does not give you an advantage, and can actually make meeting an offer harder if you receive one for 4 A-levels :wink:
The 4 A-levels thing is primarily for Physical NatSci - specifically, there taking Further Maths is naturally a great advantage, and without Physics and Chemistry they would likely have a weaker background and more limited options for subject choice in Part IA.

For Biological NatSci I don't think there is any great benefit to taking 4 A-levels compared with 3 - and I doubt they'll make much reference to a non-STEM subject outside of requiring you get at least an A in it. As such it may be more beneficial to focus purely on your 3 relevant subjects, unless you are very good at and enjoy your language (particularly if you may wish to live and work/study in France or another Francophone country at some point).
Yeah maths, chemistry and biology are the perfect set for biological natsci.
Original post by cambayrac
I've recently heard that most people who do Natsci at Cambridge have 4 A-Levels. I really want to apply to Cambridge for Biology Natsci but I'm concerned that having a language as one of my 4 A-Levels (Biology, Chemistry, Maths and French) will make me appear as a much weaker candidate when I apply. If anyone could help that would be great!

Not really necessarily for bio nat sci.

Chem, bio and maths is the perfect combo. Further maths is overkill, and while there can be a bit of physics, this will be taught to you - nothing to worry about on this front.
Reply 5
Thank you so much everyone! I have another question - I am going to do my French AS (our school only does AS for languages) but I was thinking if I applied to Cambridge and received an offer would it then be possible to drop French as an A-level so that I could focus on the science subjects to meet the grades or would I be forced to French all the way? Thank you all again so much!
Thank you so much everyone! I have another question - I am going to do my French AS (our school only does AS for languages) but I was thinking if I applied to Cambridge and received an offer would it then be possible to drop French as an A-level so that I could focus on the science subjects to meet the grades or would I be forced to French all the way? Thank you all again so much!

I'd recommend replying to a post, instead of just posting on a thread, since we won't get a notification otherwise.

You'll see in the offer conditions; if French is listed, you'll have to get x grade in it
Reply 7
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I'd recommend replying to a post, instead of just posting on a thread, since we won't get a notification otherwise.

You'll see in the offer conditions; if French is listed, you'll have to get x grade in it

Thank you very much and sorry - I don't know how it works! :wink: One last thing, at interview, do they care about how well you present yourself, or is it a manner of do you get the questions right. I'm really fortunate to be quite confident in interview situations and I was just wondering whether that actually gives me any advantage over other candidates who may not come across as confident?
Reply 8

It's unlikely they would ask for a grade in French. But they might, and if they do you can't drop it.

If they don't include you still.cant just drop a subject. You would have to get permission in advance from all your universities before changing any aspect of your application.

If you have any doubts about continuing French to A-level it would probably be better just to stop after AS.
Thank you very much and sorry - I don't know how it works! :wink: One last thing, at interview, do they care about how well you present yourself, or is it a manner of do you get the questions right. I'm really fortunate to be quite confident in interview situations and I was just wondering whether that actually gives me any advantage over other candidates who may not come across as confident?

No not at all. As long as you can say words and communicate sufficiently, that's all that matters. Also they aren't looking for a well-rounded person, i.e. how well you present yourself.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10

Makes no significant difference. A nervous candidate has as much chance as a "confident" one.

I have experience of Imperial and Oxford, I imagine Cambridge is similar.

The questions at the start you should be able to answer routinely. They'll then give you abstract stuff to see how you think

Just try your best and be creative
Reply 12
Original post by Kyber Ninja
I have experience of Imperial and Oxford, I imagine Cambridge is similar.

The questions at the start you should be able to answer routinely. They'll then give you abstract stuff to see how you think

Just try your best and be creative

So it does involve lateral thinking? I always got the impression that it was more black and white science questions, but I'm pleased to hear that because I perform well on those Qs. Imperial is my 2nd choice so your help is so useful!
So it does involve lateral thinking? I always got the impression that it was more black and white science questions, but I'm pleased to hear that because I perform well on those Qs. Imperial is my 2nd choice so your help is so useful!

Yes, a lot of it is.

You'll have to do the NSAA which will contain a lot of black and white science for the MCQs. The free response questions will be more challenging.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending