The Student Room Group

IMPATIENT Driving INSTRUCTOR!

My driving instructor is so impatient she puts me under so much pressure and always has a go at me for doing something wrong. This really puts me off driving and I just feel like I’m not doing anything right. She expects me to learn everything quickly and get the hang of it when that’s impossible as it takes practice and time to get the hang of something you’ve never done before! What can I do? Should I carry on taking driving lessons or change instructor? Also I don’t feel in control of the car because she always tells me what to do and doesn’t let me do it myself for example when changing gears she tells me to put it in this gear now and now this and so on.. and I feel so rushed and under pressure that it doesn’t feel like I’m doing anything just feels like she’s doing it all for me.
Original post by Unknown19x
My driving instructor is so impatient she puts me under so much pressure and always has a go at me for doing something wrong. This really puts me off driving and I just feel like I’m not doing anything right. She expects me to learn everything quickly and get the hang of it when that’s impossible as it takes practice and time to get the hang of something you’ve never done before! What can I do? Should I carry on taking driving lessons or change instructor? Also I don’t feel in control of the car because she always tells me what to do and doesn’t let me do it myself for example when changing gears she tells me to put it in this gear now and now this and so on.. and I feel so rushed and under pressure that it doesn’t feel like I’m doing anything just feels like she’s doing it all for me.

If you're not learning anything, then maybe it's worth changing driving instructors. There's no point in really staying with a driving instructor which you're unsatisfied with.

Just tagging @AngryJellyfish to move this to Learning to drive :smile:
Reply 2
Change driving instructor. Your paying them at the end of the day and if you're not happy with how they interact with you..
New instructor time.
As I always say on every other post the same as this one - you are paying for a service. If you are not happy with the service, you need to find a different one.
when I started my lessons were like that! I have a new instructor now and it's a lot better, I'm learning more and am starting to enjoy it so I would recommend switching rather than giving up! you're paying after allso itts okay to go with what's best for you!
Reply 6
How are you getting on & how many lessons have you taken if u don’t mind me asking
Reply 7
Original post by SarahBaggaley
when I started my lessons were like that! I have a new instructor now and it's a lot better, I'm learning more and am starting to enjoy it so I would recommend switching rather than giving up! you're paying after allso itts okay to go with what's best for you!

How are u getting on & how many lessons have u taken if u don’t mind me asking
Reply 8

They sound just like my old driving instructor. Made me feel awful about myself and I'm still annoyed that I let them treat me like that. Safe to say it destroyed my confidence and I haven't driven since.

I'd definitely ditch them.
Reply 9
Original post by sundae
They sound just like my old driving instructor. Made me feel awful about myself and I'm still annoyed that I let them treat me like that. Safe to say it destroyed my confidence and I haven't driven since.

I'd definitely ditch them.

That’s awful. I think you should try find a good instructor who’s more patient
How are u getting on & how many lessons have u taken if u don’t mind me asking

I'm still probably a few months off taking my test! I've done my theory, but my practical lessons have been a bit bitty! I started learning through a course at school (weird I know!) where I had 10 hours to learn the basics, and then I started properly with an instructor who wasn't great - like yours! They were also quite unreliable so I was with them for about 4 months but only got about 7 hours. Now with my new instructor who I like I've had about 10 hours and I'm learning a lot more! So mine's been quite patchy and spread out haha... 😅
Original post by SarahBaggaley
I'm still probably a few months off taking my test! I've done my theory, but my practical lessons have been a bit bitty! I started learning through a course at school (weird I know!) where I had 10 hours to learn the basics, and then I started properly with an instructor who wasn't great - like yours! They were also quite unreliable so I was with them for about 4 months but only got about 7 hours. Now with my new instructor who I like I've had about 10 hours and I'm learning a lot more! So mine's been quite patchy and spread out haha... 😅

I haven’t done my theory yet but I’ve booked it for next week. Is it too early to do my theory as I’ve only taken 3 lessons however I practice everyday on my parents car
I haven’t done my theory yet but I’ve booked it for next week. Is it too early to do my theory as I’ve only taken 3 lessons however I practice everyday on my parents car

I wouldn't have thought so - try some theory tests and hazard perception tests online and see how you get on! It's more about road rules and the highway code than actual practical driving so you should be fine I think 😊 I'm not an expert though! Good luck, hope it goes well!x
I beg you to change your instructor.
Yours sounds like the last driving instructor I had, he shouted at me and induced me into tears on three separate occasions. It made the lessons hell and I used to dread them. I finally got the courage to ditch him. And I took a 6 month break from driving because he really destroyed my self confidence.

I've got a new instructor now, and he's been great nothing like my old one.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending