The Student Room Group

Is murder always wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Internet
Would people say that murdering Hitler is wrong? Yes I invoked Godwin's law.

Godwin's law is a cheap attempt by the right wing to ignore history. Hitler was alive less than 80 years ago and in modern history we're not allowed to mention or compare something to Hitler? Why?
If your kid got raped by a paedo or even you got raped or anything of similar situation then i'd be able to sympathise with it and I dont think the murderer should be punished
Reply 22
I think it is, or it should be. But that's not to say that I wouldn't do it should the occasion arise.
Original post by Caesar333
Godwin's law is a cheap attempt by the right wing to ignore history. Hitler was alive less than 80 years ago and in modern history we're not allowed to mention or compare something to Hitler? Why?

No one says you're not allowed. Godwin's law just means that "as an online discussion progresses, it becomes inevitable that someone or something will eventually be compared to Adolf Hitler or the Nazis, regardless of the original topic."
Reply 24
The obvious answer is Yes, it would be wrong! Two wrongs dont make a right, and there is an inequality in having to pay for an act of rape by having your life taken from you. That's the obvious straight-forward answer.

Just to play devils advocate, if you take a utilitanian angle, the answer could also be "no, it isnt wrong". Felicific calculus would suggest that the act of murdering the rapist would prevent several other potential victims from being harmed; greatest good for the greatest number.

However, the latter is theoretical of course. I personally think that in situations like these, one's own sense of morality should dictate the course of action. I would choose not to kill.
If murder is wrong, why did God murder so many people?
I believe in trying to de-escalate the situation. I'm training to be an emergency call operator :cyber: so I believe in keeping a cool head to prevent violence as it's something I've eventually had to learn to do anyway and it worked.

But sometimes that's not possible. I think in those rare occurences during the heat of the moment to stay alive it might be "ok" but then again that's why there's trials. Going back to kill someone is premeditated and judicially someone who premeditated/planning the crime is never let off. But you can plead insane. I believe in "snapping." I really do.
Original post by debates.
For example if you got raped and you went to the police, however no charges were brought due to a lack of evidence- would it be wrong for you to go and kill the person that raped you? Would you describe a person who gets their own revenge as evil?

in this gas it would be wrong.

My general belief is that murder is ALWAYS wrong but can be done for the right reasons.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
If murder is wrong, why did God murder so many people?

Oh please, I knew I shouldn't take your HIV comments seriously. Now I see what your issue is :lol:.

When did God take human form and float down and kill anyone...? And which God are you talking about? :rolleyes: these are rhetorical questions btw because 'm not interested in what you have to say.
Original post by gjd800
I think it is, or it should be. But that's not to say that I wouldn't do it should the occasion arise.

:rofl:
Original post by cat_mac
I’d rather that person live a horribly long life in prison where he has to live with what he did for the rest of his life. Killing someone isn’t punishment, they don’t suffer because of it. Take away that persons freedom to do what they did to you to anyone else is justice.

Also @squeakysquirrel has a good point. If we kill all convicted rapists, what about the false convictions? When new evidence comes to light two years later that the guy had a solid alibi and he literally couldn’t have done it, you’ve killed an innocent person.

I absolutely consider your 2nd paragraph. But int he case of "living a horrible life in prison" I know people who literally love it in there. They have more in there than out and/or are just that deranged. And those same people suddenly **** themselves when it comes execution day or death row. It's torture living on death row not knowing your execution date. They literally lose their minds or beg for a chance.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Oh please, I knew I shouldn't take your HIV comments seriously. Now I see what your issue is :lol:.

When did God take human form and float down and kill anyone...? And which God are you talking about? :rolleyes: these are rhetorical questions btw because 'm not interested in what you have to say.

My issue is that I don't like misinformation being sent around, especially not on real issues such as the stigma against HIV carriers.

Your issue is that you're anti-knowledge and clearly ignorant.

---

God in The Bible said he killed cities of people for sins, said he flooded the world and killed everyone but one family, said he killed all the first-borns in Egypt, just to name 3 examples. If God didn't do any of them, than he's a liar.
I believe in certain scenarios,It can be justified. Provided the suspect was found to be guilty
My issue is that I don't like misinformation being sent around, especially not on real issues such as the stigma against HIV carriers.

Your issue is that you're anti-knowledge and clearly ignorant.

---

God in The Bible said he killed cities of people for sins, said he flooded the world and killed everyone but one family, said he killed all the first-borns in Egypt, just to name 3 examples. If God didn't do any of them, than he's a liar.

Mkay Mr. Know It All, then tell me which book, which chapter, which verse? ...

I'll wait while you make something up.

And don't be nasty with the personal insults :naughty:
I absolutely consider your 2nd paragraph. But int he case of "living a horrible life in prison" I know people who literally love it in there. They have more in there than out and/or are just that deranged. And those same people suddenly **** themselves when it comes execution day or death row. It's torture living on death row not knowing your execution date. They literally lose their minds or beg for a chance.

Yeah I’m not not claiming the prison system is great, but i’d much rather money was spent sorting out prisons than spending millions on the death penalty. :dontknow:
Mkay Mr. Know It All, then tell me which book, which chapter, which verse? ...

I'll wait while you make something up.

Mr Know-Nothing, these are your receipts:

"Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well." (Exodus 11:5)
http://biblehub.com/exodus/11-5.htm

"Seven days from now I will send rain that will last for forty days and nights, and I will destroy all other living creatures I have made." (Gensis 7)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+7&version=CEV
Yes, Murder is always wrong.
Original post by cat_mac
Yeah I’m not not claiming the prison system is great, but i’d much rather money was spent sorting out prisons than spending millions on the death penalty. :dontknow:

Well Im just connecting to you saying incarcerated murderers won't suffer if they die. I'm saying being sentenced to death takes years for them to actually meet their execution date so it's torture waiting for that day. If you don't agree with the death sentence, then I'd hope you want them to serve life at least. In all cases of someone getting the death penalty they're in there for life anyway, so what difference does it make if they're on death row for ages or serving life? :s-smilie:
The only reason I'd see it being right killing someone else is if they attack you or put you in a position of harm and you do it to protect your self from being harmed. It's a last resort but in a hypothetical situation of kill or me killed - kill them.

As for other cases like rape, the justice system should be looked to take care of that and look into the evidence available. Once you take a life there's always talk of not feeling completely you and having that memory of killing a person haunt you, It's just not worth it even if they are a rapist. You'd probably be doing them a favor tbh if your saving them from the rest of their life spent rotting in a corrupt prison.
Mr Know-Nothing, these are your receipts:

"Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well." (Exodus 11:5)
http://biblehub.com/exodus/11-5.htm

"Seven days from now I will send rain that will last for forty days and nights, and I will destroy all other living creatures I have made." (Gensis 7)
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+7&version=CEV

this is what people like you do: you arrogantly quote convenient texts out of context, do you even know the story of the Exodus. The plague God sent was a warning. Not even every first born died, that was only if they didn't leave to go to Promised Land away from slavery. The ones who went (hence EXODUS you genius) were saved in more ways than one lmao. Nice try. That's not murder. Murder is senseless violence resulting in death. God warned this land over and over to leave to find freedom. That was his final ultimatum. More people lived than died hence an Israeli Jesus Christ's bloodline being from the blood of Jacob, who had Egyptian children one descendant being Joseph, Jesus's dad :congrats:

And as for he Genesis, that's the FIRST BOOK lol meaning humanity flourished and is still flourishing after that. So...

nice one. Sike.

Call me ignorant again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending