The Student Room Group

How is the UK?

Hi guys.

I also considered Uk as a interesting country for the job opportunities.
Where I leave there aren't so much as in the UK, and the few ones are not very interesting.

The only thing I fear is the cultural shock I can have one I move there.
I had a friend that moved to London, and after 2 weeks he burnout and decided to come back.

It is true that work is the UK is more hard then in other places?
A girl once told me about people that used drugs to be able to work so much hours.

Where I live, people in general work 40 hours per week, with the exception of who run a company and more more hours.

How things work there?

Thanks
WiSi.

Scroll to see replies

it's a complicated way of getting everyone to work but it would depend what part of the UK you are looking at and I'm not sure about other places as I haven't worked else where
Reply 2
Depends on what you’re wanting to do/qualified to do?
Reply 3
Original post by cat_mac
Depends on what you’re wanting to do/qualified to do?

no full time is always 40 hours a week
Reply 4
Original post by YaBoiSF

I was talking about how “hard” working is in the UK and job availability, it depends on the field. (Also at my previous employer we worked 39 hours a week... anything above 35 hours is classed as full time.)
Reply 5
Original post by WiSi
Hi guys.

I also considered Uk as a interesting country for the job opportunities.
Where I leave there aren't so much as in the UK, and the few ones are not very interesting.

The only thing I fear is the cultural shock I can have one I move there.
I had a friend that moved to London, and after 2 weeks he burnout and decided to come back.

It is true that work is the UK is more hard then in other places?
A girl once told me about people that used drugs to be able to work so much hours.

Where I live, people in general work 40 hours per week, with the exception of who run a company and more more hours.

How things work there?

Thanks
WiSi.

Don't bother coming here...
It depends entirely on where you live in the UK. I wouldn’t recommend you moving here unless you’re going to live in London (or maybe Manchester) simply because most other cities are boring. Having that said, London is endlessly energetic and frantic and the employment opportunities here are amazing. I’ve been here six months and I have already done work experience at some of the largest museums in the world and legal internships at global law firms. I love London. London is good. Come to London.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Its harder in areas such as London due to high rent prices, so youll be working hard for little return for yourself due to bills (such as rent, tax, etc) but if you lived somewhere such as Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, etc; you’d be working hard for things in return with lots of opportunities.
To be honest I'd say don't go to London unless yo can afford it.

I'd say another larger city, that isn't as bad as london for housing prices etc, such as Bristol.
Don’t goto bradford whatever u do😂
Reply 10
Original post by YaBoiSF

I heard that in the US people, especially in the IT work 50+ hours a week, and there there are a lot of people that have 2 hobs and work 80 hours per week.

This was just to say that an anglophone country as US have different work habits.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by cat_mac
I was talking about how “hard” working is in the UK and job availability, it depends on the field. (Also at my previous employer we worked 39 hours a week... anything above 35 hours is classed as full time.)

There are problem of job availability also in the UK, even if you have a degree?

Anyway I glees that are better then were I live, were youth unemployment is about 37%.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/752135/Italy-Jobs-Act-referendum-as-youth-unemployment-jumps-to-39-per-cent.
Reply 12
Original post by Stewpid
Don't bother coming here...

Why?
Reply 13
Original post by angelinahx
It depends entirely on where you live in the UK. I wouldn’t recommend you moving here unless you’re going to live in London (or maybe Manchester) simply because most other cities are boring. Having that said, London is endlessly energetic and frantic and the employment opportunities here are amazing. I’ve been here six months and I have already done work experience at some of the largest museums in the world and legal internships at global law firms. I love London. London is good. Come to London.

Why other places of the Uk are boring on your opinion ?
I would like to know.

Anyway, London is very attractive, but I thought there the City is not an exception on the land, but that there are also other cities, maybe less famous, but with good quality of life.
Reply 14
Original post by Unknown19x
Don’t goto bradford whatever u do😂

Why?
London is terrible. Absolutely horrendous.

The North is better by far.
(edited 6 years ago)
As soon as we get those Brexit papers signed the better!!!
Original post by WiSi
There are problem of job availability also in the UK, even if you have a degree?

Anyway I glees that are better then were I live, were youth unemployment is about 37%.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/752135/Italy-Jobs-Act-referendum-as-youth-unemployment-jumps-to-39-per-cent.

Yep, lots of post grads are really struggling to get employment and end up working in retail instead of their field. Research the job market in the field you’re in, it’s not impossible to get work but it certainly isn’t easy.
Original post by WiSi
Why other places of the Uk are boring on your opinion ?
I would like to know.

Anyway, London is very attractive, but I thought there the City is not an exception on the land, but that there are also other cities, maybe less famous, but with good quality of life.

Because I have lived in London for seven months and I have visited other British cities, such as Portsmouth, Brighton, Exeter, Torquay and Cambridge. They're uninteresting and plain. Shops close at 6PM and there is little employment prospects (this is especially if true if you're not in London, Birmingham, Manchester or Leeds). Also, I wouldn't move here for "quality of life". According to the where-to-be-born index, it ranks amongst one of the lowest in Europe.
Original post by jbrdodd
Its harder in areas such as London due to high rent prices, so youll be working hard for little return for yourself due to bills (such as rent, tax, etc) but if you lived somewhere such as Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, etc; you’d be working hard for things in return with lots of opportunities.

This isn't even true. To even imply that Sheffield (lmao) and London have equal employment opportunities is lying to OP.

Quick Reply

Latest