The Student Room Group

Low-ish GCSE Grades

Hi! So I'm a bit demotivated about my GCSE grades. They weren't terrible, I got 4 A*s, 6 As and a B, but most of the people I see applying to medicine have upwards of 7 A*s, and it basically exempts me from some universities, like Oxford and Cardiff.

It's just quite frustrating because I live in a quite poor area, so my school was very much focused on getting people to pass, rather than pushing up our grades. It meant I got the highest GCSE grades in my year, and the highest the school as had for a while, but they're still comparatively low.

I do quite a bit of volunteering, was head boy in my high school (although it will have been like a year before the applications) and I've been doing quite well on my mocks and stuff, so I'm just wondering, if from anybody else's experiences, if that has mattered too much.

I'm thinking of applying to at least Edinburgh and Imperial, not sure where else yet.

Thanks for any help!
Reply 1
Original post by willnewt123
Hi! So I'm a bit demotivated about my GCSE grades. They weren't terrible, I got 4 A*s, 6 As and a B, but most of the people I see applying to medicine have upwards of 7 A*s, and it basically exempts me from some universities, like Oxford and Cardiff.

It's just quite frustrating because I live in a quite poor area, so my school was very much focused on getting people to pass, rather than pushing up our grades. It meant I got the highest GCSE grades in my year, and the highest the school as had for a while, but they're still comparatively low.

I do quite a bit of volunteering, was head boy in my high school (although it will have been like a year before the applications) and I've been doing quite well on my mocks and stuff, so I'm just wondering, if from anybody else's experiences, if that has mattered too much.

I'm thinking of applying to at least Edinburgh and Imperial, not sure where else yet.

Thanks for any help!

I’ve just received an offer from Oxford with GCSEs of 3A*s 4As 4Bs and 1 C!

Don’t let this put you off! If you have good predicted grades/achieved grades at A-level and a good personal statement and references then there’s nothing that should stop you.
Reply 2
Original post by ruthflame57
I’ve just received an offer from Oxford with GCSEs of 3A*s 4As 4Bs and 1 C!

Don’t let this put you off! If you have good predicted grades/achieved grades at A-level and a good personal statement and references then there’s nothing that should stop you.

Oh wow, good job! Might seem like a silly question, but is that for medicine? If it is, is it alright if I ask you some questions? :P
Reply 3
Oh wow, good job! Might seem like a silly question, but is that for medicine? If it is, is it alright if I ask you some questions? :P

No it’s for Law, not quite the same I know but still, there is every chance!
Reply 4
Original post by ruthflame57
No it’s for Law, not quite the same I know but still, there is every chance!

Ah, alright. Thanks for your reply! Don't think I'm going to apply to Oxford, though haha.
Ah, alright. Thanks for your reply! Don't think I'm going to apply to Oxford, though haha.

Try for Cambridge! They don't rate you on your GCSEs for Medicine, unlike Oxford where unfortunately you probably will need higher even with your circumstances
There are quite a few people at my school that are looking to apply for medicine with 2 or less A*s at GCSE, so don't feel like your application won't get looked at. I am going to be applying for veterinary medicine with 4A*s (biology, chemistry, art and English literature), 6As (maths, English language, physics, RE, geography and ICT), 1B (further maths) and 1C (French) and I didn't get the highest grades in my school (top 5-10). Having a large amount of work experience should help your application and getting good predicted grades will also help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending