The Student Room Group

A levels or btec?

When I am older, my absoulute dream job would be a photgrapher. I know that this is possible, as my passion for the subject is so strong. My only problem is, what to do at college?

The first college, lets call it college A, has offered me a place on the BTEC L3 photography course. I wouldn't be doing any other subjects, only photography. I think that this course would be amazing for me, but my only concern is ONLY doing the one course, no a-levels or other BTECS.

The second college, lets call this one college B, here I would be doing 3 a-levels, Photography, media studies and English lit. I have not had an interview at this college yet(its next thursday), so I don't really have much details on the A level photography course.

Has anyone done/do a level photography? What is it like? Which college would you pick if you were in my position?

JUST TO CLARIFY COLLEGE A DOESN'T OFFER A LEVEL PHOTOGRAPHY.
ID say go for your interview then way it up. id persoanlly say college A sounds bettrr fpr you but until youve had your interview for B dont make a decision
Original post by LucieTheUnicorn
When I am older, my absoulute dream job would be a photgrapher. I know that this is possible, as my passion for the subject is so strong. My only problem is, what to do at college?

The first college, lets call it college A, has offered me a place on the BTEC L3 photography course. I wouldn't be doing any other subjects, only photography. I think that this course would be amazing for me, but my only concern is ONLY doing the one course, no a-levels or other BTECS.

The second college, lets call this one college B, here I would be doing 3 a-levels, Photography, media studies and English lit. I have not had an interview at this college yet(its next thursday), so I don't really have much details on the A level photography course.

Has anyone done/do a level photography? What is it like? Which college would you pick if you were in my position?

Hello Lucie

Do the A-levels for sure 100%. WAY more recognition by universities considering you're doing eng lit and media studies too.

Spoiler

Original post by TheRealAdam1
Hello Lucie

Do the A-levels for sure 100%. WAY more recognition by universities considering you're doing eng lit and media studies too.

Spoiler

A) btecs get just as much recognition at unis than a-levels. If the op were wanting to do medicine or something then yeah obviously do a-levels, but a lot of courses accept btecs.
B) who said that the op deffo wanted to go to uni?

Hi there,

For me, I'd for the BTEC. If you're passion is only photography, then focus all of your energy on that. There's no point in spreading yourself too thin for courses you don't care about. I think its also important to say that regardless of how you do on these courses, or whether you do uni or not, you can be a successful photographer regardless, especially if you put the work in and practice in your spare time. I hope this helps you. if you have any other questions then just drop a comment.

Regards
Depends what your GCSEs are like, if you think you’re good enough deffo do a levels, more useful just in case you change your mind about photography
Original post by Emma:-)
A) btecs get just as much recognition at unis than a-levels. If the op were wanting to do medicine or something then yeah obviously do a-levels, but a lot of courses accept btecs.

Isn't BTECH a meme? Back when I was in school it was used as an insult.

If you hvent got anything useful to say then dont say anything at all.
Reply 8
With the BTEC, you'd be focusing on a lot more application of the knowledge, as well as theory

Whereas with A-Levels, it's more theory based.

A-Levels are definitely not "more useful" than BTEC's; it all depends on what interests you more and what your future plans are
If you hvent got anything useful to say then dont say anything at all.

Lol.
Lol.

Original post by LG as you were x
Depends what your GCSEs are like, if you think you’re good enough deffo do a levels, more useful just in case you change your mind about photography

Original post by KieranAdam
Hi there,

For me, I'd for the BTEC. If you're passion is only photography, then focus all of your energy on that. There's no point in spreading yourself too thin for courses you don't care about. I think its also important to say that regardless of how you do on these courses, or whether you do uni or not, you can be a successful photographer regardless, especially if you put the work in and practice in your spare time. I hope this helps you. if you have any other questions then just drop a comment.

Regards

After lots of thinking i'm going to go with the A-levels at college B. Not only is this college a lot closer, its actually in the top 10 colleges in the country.
Personally I don't think that btecs are thought any more or less of compared to a-levels, at the end of the day they all carry the same UCAS points...
After lots of thinking i'm going to go with the A-levels at college B. Not only is this college a lot closer, its actually in the top 10 colleges in the country.
Personally I don't think that btecs are thought any more or less of compared to a-levels, at the end of the day they all carry the same UCAS points...

Good decision Lucie.
Reply 12

Massive misconception! Funny when some BTEC students do better than A-Level students at University isn't it? Not such a meme then is it?
Original post by jdddd
Massive misconception! Funny when some BTEC students do better than A-Level students at University isn't it? Not such a meme then is it?

Exceptions to the rule exist with most things. Doesn't change the overall trend.
Defo alevels even if your choices are rubbish
3 > 2
(3 alevels vs 2 alevels
for level 3)
Do not go for the second option my friends do english lit its difficult. Its better to do 1 subject than 3 especially in college. If you want to go into photography then go for the first option no point doing english.
Reply 16
Original post by howitoughttobe
Exceptions to the rule exist with most things. Doesn't change the overall trend.

Whats the overall trend then?
Assuming you go to a UCAS uni
Alevels is probably the better option if you are capable, as much as btecs are equivalent, if you want to go to uni then there is an alevel snobbery and unis do prefer them.

Get the offer first otherwise you dont have a choice to make.
Look at the specification for A level and the one for BTEC.

A levels will give you more options if you want to do other things, but not many.
Look at the entrance requirements for courses you are interested in and check.
Will you do equally well with A levels?

If you have checked the above and are 100% sure on a photography career, then possibly the BTEC would make more sense.

Quick Reply

Latest