The Student Room Group

weird maths question

the graph of y=f(x) is transformed to give the graph y=-f(x+3)
the point A on the graph of y=f(x) is mapped to the point P on the graph of y=-f(x+3)
the coordinates of point A are 9,1
Find coordinates of point P

im very confused as how to do this question, im aware what the transfomation is which is 3 to the left, but 3 to the left from where? how am i suppose to know what P originally was? thanks
What happens to the x values and y values after that transformation. Apply those changes to the x and y coordinates of the point to obtain new ones.
P was originally A if you read the question carefully.
Point A (9,1), apply the first part of the transformation (x+3) as you correctly said it moves it 3 to the left giving the new coordinate (6,1)
Now let’s apply the minus giving us the point
P (-6,-1). I haven’t done maths in a while
But that should be correct
You need to be aware of the steps taken to transform the graph from y=f(x) to y=-f(x+3). For each step your x and y coordinate values will change. So starting with (9,1) apply each change to the coordinates depending on the change to the graph
Original post by Howie_2114
Point A (9,1), apply the first part of the transformation (x+3) as you correctly said it moves it 3 to the left giving the new coordinate (6,1)

Why the **** has 6 changed into -6?
Original post by Radioactivedecay
What happens to the x values and y values after that transformation. Apply those changes to the x and y coordinates of the point to obtain new ones.

they move 3 to the left, but im confused as to what P is, it doesnt say what the gradient of the line is so how do i know where P originally was so i can apply the trainsformation?
Original post by Gent2324
they move 3 to the left, but im confused as to what P is, it doesnt say what the gradient of the line is so how do i know where P originally was so i can apply the trainsformation?

P is orignally A. Read the question carefully.

so does mapped mean changes into?
Original post by Math12345
Why the **** has 6 changed into -6?

Because the transformation is -f(x+3), once you’ve done the (x+3) you multiply that new coordinate by -1 to give the final coordinate P
Original post by Gent2324
the graph of y=f(x) is transformed to give the graph y=-f(x+3)
the point A on the graph of y=f(x) is mapped to the point P on the graph of y=-f(x+3)
the coordinates of point A are 9,1
Find coordinates of point P

im very confused as how to do this question, im aware what the transfomation is which is 3 to the left, but 3 to the left from where? how am i suppose to know what P originally was? thanks

The transformation isn't just 3 to the left tho is it. If the -ve is outside the f(x) then it's gunna multiply all the values of f(x) by -1, which will essentially reflect it in the x axis.

If you know P, which is f(x) then you start from inside the brackets when you do these questions, so firstly move to the left by 3 like you rightly said. Then you can reflect it in the x axis and ta da
(edited 6 years ago)
Because the transformation is -f(x+3), once you’ve done the (x+3) you multiply that new coordinate by -1 to give the final coordinate P

-f(x+3) is the transformations: translation vector (-3 , 0) and reflection in the line y=0 (x-axis).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by BDunlop
The transformation isn't just 3 to the left tho is it. If the -ve is outside the f(x) then it's gunna multiply all the values of f(x) by -1, which will essentially reflect it in the Y axis.

If you know P, which is f(x) then you start from inside the brackets when you do these questions, so firstly move to the left by 3 like you rightly said. Then you can reflect it in the Y axis and ta da

Original post by Y11_Maths
You need to be aware of the steps taken to transform the graph from y=f(x) to y=-f(x+3). For each step your x and y coordinate values will change. So starting with (9,1) apply each change to the coordinates depending on the change to the graph

great thanks everyone i think i get it now, you -3 and then you flip the Y value, its just a case of weirdly worded questions that confuse me :biggrin:
The amount of wrong answers on this thread *shaking my head*
The amount of wrong answers on this thread *shaking my head*

which ones are wrong other than -6,-1 ?
Original post by BDunlop
which ones are wrong other than -6,-1 ?

You just changed y-axis to x-axis :wink:
You just changed y-axis to x-axis :wink:

no I totally didn't..*walk of shame*

embarrassing mistake, doesn't reflect my maths :wink:
It wasn't weirdly worded, you just have to break it down into steps.I would do the horizontal changes first, then the vertical, but it doesn't really matter.

Quick Reply

Latest