The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA science 9-1 trilogy grade boundaries?

HI, i have realised there are no set grade boundaries (by AQA) for the GCSE AQA 9-1 science spec for tests as this is the first year. We are getting grade boundaries set by our school: for a 7- 60% and 8- about 70+%, for our latest test given by AQA. What are the grade boundaries like in your school for grades 7/8/9, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Abdullah72108
HI, i have realised there are no set grade boundaries (by AQA) for the GCSE AQA 9-1 science spec for tests as this is the first year. We are getting grade boundaries set by our school: for a 7- 60% and 8- about 70+%, for our latest test given by AQA. What are the grade boundaries like in your school for grades 7/8/9, thanks!

In my moc for combined science I got 41/81 and it was a grade 6, therefore I’m guessing 50%=6, 60%=7, 70%=8/9 :smile:
Reply 2

Well I got 42 per cent in my physical science mock and apparently, that's a six? Basically no-one knows so everyone is guessing.
Reply 3
In my school is what about the same for::
Physics: 7-60% 8-70% 9-80%
Chemistry: 7:58% 8:70% 9:93%
Biology: same as chemistry
Original post by Beth286
In my moc for combined science I got 41/81 and it was a grade 6, therefore I’m guessing 50%=6, 60%=7, 70%=8/9 :smile:

oh thanks that makes sense, as on my bio and chem i got 79% and 77% and got 8 for both.
Original post by nio.m
In my school is what about the same for::
Physics: 7-60% 8-70% 9-80%
Chemistry: 7:58% 8:70% 9:93%
Biology: same as chemistry

93% for grade 9 on bio and chem ? I know grade 9 is hard to get, but 93% seems a little too high?
Original post by kt11376
Well I got 42 per cent in my physical science mock and apparently, that's a six? Basically no-one knows so everyone is guessing.

well physics boudaries will always be lower than chem and bio, since its harder, but that seems o b about right!
Reply 7
I got 48% in all science which i got a grade 7 on!
I think ours are 70% 7, 80% 8, 90% 9. Really hoping these aren’t the actual ones! But in maths it was 78% for grade 9 so fingers crossed!
^^^But the grade boundary for 7+ will be the current A grades. Ofqual say that the same proportion of kids getting A or more will be the same as those getting 7 or above if that helps to give you an idea of the real grade boundaries...
Original post by rainbowcat1437
I think ours are 70% 7, 80% 8, 90% 9. Really hoping these aren’t the actual ones! But in maths it was 78% for grade 9 so fingers crossed!

That seems abit too high as only a few students in my school get above 70% so how can this be a 7??
That seems abit too high as only a few students in my school get above 70% so how can this be a 7??

Not all schools are at the same academic level. Some schools don’t have any pupils getting about an A.
Not all schools are at the same academic level. Some schools don’t have any pupils getting about an A.

yes true, but considering my school is above average, i do not think the grade boundaries would that high
yes true, but considering my school is above average, i do not think the grade boundaries would that high

I guess they just want to us to happy if we get 7s in our mocks and get a 9 on results day. I know for maths it was 78% for a 9 which is really low but also shows how hard they are😬😬😬. I’m sure a 9 for science subjects will be around 80-85% so hoping for the best!
I guess they just want to us to happy if we get 7s in our mocks and get a 9 on results day. I know for maths it was 78% for a 9 which is really low but also shows how hard they are😬😬😬. I’m sure a 9 for science subjects will be around 80-85% so hoping for the best!

Yes, 80% for grade 9 seems about correct, but we will see, it might be lower than we expected it to be, maybe higher 70s
Yes, 80% for grade 9 seems about correct, but we will see, it might be lower than we expected it to be, maybe higher 70s

yes hopefully!
Is it better to do a foundation combined exam and get a high grade and pass with easy time and find it too simple or do the higher exam and come out with ungraded because you haven't been taught it in class?
Original post by Wasistdasschule
Is it better to do a foundation combined exam and get a high grade and pass with easy time and find it too simple or do the higher exam and come out with ungraded because you haven't been taught it in class?

Better to do higher becauses it’s easier to pass grade boundries low, for foundation you need to basically Know ALLL the answers and I know because you think of foundation you might you oh easy but I did foundation last year and the “easy” questions were the ones that tricked me out 😂 and ended up getting a 3 I do higher now and I’m getting a 5 as for the never been taught in class I suggest watching my free science lesson guy on YouTube he covers everything and just make flashcards. My teachers are so bad so I’ve just been teaching myself science
Has anyone got any predicted questions that are going to come up for AQA bio chem and physics that ur teacher has said?????? thanks

It was stated by an exam marker that in the year 10 mocks, 80% of students failed to get over 50%. Therefore they will have to drastically change the exams

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending