The Student Room Group

Keyhole surgery recovery

Guess I’m back again and I’m a little confused as to why my recovery time is taking longer than what my doctor told me it would be. I had my keyhole surgery to remove my gallbladder. My surgery took place on the 9th of February. I’m able to eat and drink fluids without any pain but when it comes down to sitting up for to long or having to walk for to long all sorts of pain starts to kick in. I’ve already missed a whole week of school and Its been 2 weeks since I had surgery. Would it be ok if i took another week of
Reply 1
Original post by Ruru_
Guess I’m back again and I’m a little confused as to why my recovery time is taking longer than what my doctor told me it would be. I had my keyhole surgery to remove my gallbladder. My surgery took place on the 9th of February. I’m able to eat and drink fluids without any pain but when it comes down to sitting up for to long or having to walk for to long all sorts of pain starts to kick in. I’ve already missed a whole week of school and Its been 2 weeks since I had surgery. Would it be ok if i took another week of

Take as much time as you need. Stuff just got cut out of you. You deserve some time to recover.

Did you see somebody in the end to check things are all healing up okay? Recovery times aren't exact so you could just be taking a bit longer than expected, but best to check there's nothing like an infection or a little unexpected damage slowing things down.

Are you okay to do a bit of work sat at home? You could get in touch with your school to have some work sent over.
Original post by Ruru_

After about a month, you should be able to walk without pain, but you will probably still feel tired by it.

6-8 weeks is the typical, full recovery time.
Reply 3
Original post by Kindred
Take as much time as you need. Stuff just got cut out of you. You deserve some time to recover.

Did you see somebody in the end to check things are all healing up okay? Recovery times aren't exact so you could just be taking a bit longer than expected, but best to check there's nothing like an infection or a little unexpected damage slowing things down.

Are you okay to do a bit of work sat at home? You could get in touch with your school to have some work sent over.

Yeah I went to my gp and because I couldn’t help with the pain they gave me c
Original post by Kindred

Yeah I went to my gp on Wednesday they said there’s no sign of any infection but they gave me Codeine so I won’t feel the pain but obviously that comes with the side effects of feeling sleepy and not my self however if I do manage to go to school on Monday I don’t wanna be sleepy because I’ll just end up knocking out and not being myself like today was different I just broke down and had a mental breakdown which never happens to me so I was surprised when it did but I guess your right everyone has a different speedy recover and my one just taking it’s time
Reply 4
Original post by Kyber Ninja
After about a month, you should be able to walk without pain, but you will probably still feel tired by it.

6-8 weeks is the typical, full recovery time.

6-8 weeks. I’m just wondering how I’ll be able to sit and walk around for a long time if I do end up going school next week. I already took a week of. How long do u think I should take of before I recover properly and be able to go back to school
Original post by Ruru_
6-8 weeks. I’m just wondering how I’ll be able to sit and walk around for a long time if I do end up going school next week. I already took a week of. How long do u think I should take of before I recover properly and be able to go back to school

when my uncle had it done, he was back at work after two weeks - maybe you'll be fine after another week - everyone is different.
Reply 6
Original post by Ruru_
Yeah I went to my gp on Wednesday they said there’s no sign of any infection but they gave me Codeine so I won’t feel the pain but obviously that comes with the side effects of feeling sleepy and not my self however if I do manage to go to school on Monday I don’t wanna be sleepy because I’ll just end up knocking out and not being myself like today was different I just broke down and had a mental breakdown which never happens to me so I was surprised when it did but I guess your right everyone has a different speedy recover and my one just taking it’s time

Okay well that's good news. Noting seems to be slowing stuff down so you just need to hold on until you feel a bit better. In my experience when things decide to improve they do it rather quick so don't worry too much about getting like this for X long. You might find that tomorrow or in a couple of days you're suddenly feeling only half as bad as now.

Maybe wait a bit longer and have a chat with school about coming in with some support in place like staying in the library to work or whatever you think would help thing be a bit easier for you. Maybe just take ibuprofen before you go so you're not all messy in your head, but have the cocodamol with you for if you need it. You can always try it for a day and see how it goes.
Obviously school is pretty important, but if you need more time you need more time. You just need to listen to your body and see how things go. This is a good reason to be feeling naff and sometimes important things like school need to take a back seat for your health and wellbeing.
Don't worry about attendance points or anything. This is a very reasonable thing to be missing school for so if it ever comes up as a potential issue just say you were recovering from surgery.

Hope you feel better soon. Until then just keep doing little bits to stay somewhat active and let yourself rest a bit. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Kindred
Okay well that's good news. Noting seems to be slowing stuff down so you just need to hold on until you feel a bit better. In my experience when things decide to improve they do it rather quick so don't worry too much about getting like this for X long. You might find that tomorrow or in a couple of days you're suddenly feeling only half as bad as now.

Maybe wait a bit longer and have a chat with school about coming in with some support in place like staying in the library to work or whatever you think would help thing be a bit easier for you. Maybe just take ibuprofen before you go so you're not all messy in your head, but have the cocodamol with you for if you need it. You can always try it for a day and see how it goes.
Obviously school is pretty important, but if you need more time you need more time. You just need to listen to your body and see how things go. This is a good reason to be feeling naff and sometimes important things like school need to take a back seat for your health and wellbeing.
Don't worry about attendance points or anything. This is a very reasonable thing to be missing school for so if it ever comes up as a potential issue just say you were recovering from surgery.

Hope you feel better soon. Until then just keep doing little bits to stay somewhat active and let yourself rest a bit. :smile:

Sorry I also forgot to mention does it come with having mild lower back pain. My back has been hurting and it’s only down the lower back, it especially hurts when I lay down and I don’t know what to do about it
Reply 8
Original post by Ruru_
Sorry I also forgot to mention does it come with having mild lower back pain. My back has been hurting and it’s only down the lower back, it especially hurts when I lay down and I don’t know what to do about it

I'm not entirely sure because I don't know that procedure (and I'm not a doctor or anything), but have you been laying down or lounging in bed more than usual? Changes in posture (like spending more time reclined) can cause back pain and I expect you'll be doing more laying down because you're recovering. That would be my bet for why you're getting back pain. I get lower back pain if I lounge around in bed too long.

You might want to get a more qualified response to that though cos I'm not sure if anything else could be casing it and wouldn't want to be sat here over the internet like "nah you're totes fine" when there's actually something going on.

So yeah I guess mention it to somebody like a nurse or even pharmacist, but I would expect it's from all the rest. Might help to do some gentle stretches or something to get that area moving around a little or to try to change up how you're laying. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest