The Student Room Group

Gcse literature

Hi, I'm Saffron!
I'm taking my GCSE Literature exam this year in yr10, does anyone have any revision tips?
Im studying; Much Ado About Nothing, An Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and the Love and Relationships Cluster from the Anthology.
Original post by Saffron512
Hi, I'm Saffron!
I'm taking my GCSE Literature exam this year in yr10, does anyone have any revision tips?
Im studying; Much Ado About Nothing, An Inspector Calls, Jekyll and Hyde and the Love and Relationships Cluster from the Anthology.

For me watching Mr Bruff videos helped and reading the books in my spare time, making sure to remember quotes is extremely important. I believe it is best to do as many papers as possible in timed conditions, as for paper 2 there is quite a lot to do in a short amount time, so you have to be on time. Also do mind maps on the characters, I hope this helped a bit.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MoonlightTiger
For me watching Mr Bruff bideos helped and reading the books in my spare time, making sure to remember quotes is extremely important. I believe it is best to do as many papers as possible in timed conditions, as for paper 2 there is quite a lot to do in a short amount time, so you have to be on time. Also do mind maps on the characters, I hope this helped a bit.

Wow thank you so much! That’s v v helpful, I’ve been trying to read as much as I can when I can, but I’ve never heard of Mr Bruff so I’ll be sure to check him out, thank you!
Totally recommend Mr Bruff and also make perceptive comments and get in the habit of using context that links in with your text.
Reply 4
Original post by Sabrinehamidi
Totally recommend Mr Bruff and also make perceptive comments and get in the habit of using context that links in with your text.

Wow thank you that’s v helpful, I’ve never heard of Mr Bruff before and someone else just recommended him! I shall have to look at his videos, thank you!!
Hi, I'm Saffron!

Thread moved to the English study help :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lemur14
Thread moved to the English study help :smile:

Aw thank you!
Aw thank you!

Not a problem :smile: Good luck with your exam!
Mr Bruff’s videos are very helpful. You can pick up his ebooks for not much money too which have even more ‘perceptive’ analysis in them, much better than the other revision guides availible. For me, the best AIC revision is to watch the film, the David Thewlis version is a good start :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Goldenshark
Mr Bruff’s videos are very helpful. You can pick up his ebooks for not much money too which have even more ‘perceptive’ analysis in them, much better than the other revision guides availible. For me, the best AIC revision is to watch the film, the David Thewlis version is a good start :smile:

Wow thank you! That’s very helpful, good luck to you with your exams!
Hi, I'm Saffron!

I'm in yr11 and I'm doing Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, the same poems as you and A Christmas Carol and I think the best way to revise (especially the poems) is to learn the books/plays and poems as best as you can. You'll pick up quotes as you go, and theres lots of workbooks out there. Flashcards dont really work for me, but they might for you
Reply 11
Original post by _orca_
I'm in yr11 and I'm doing Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, the same poems as you and A Christmas Carol and I think the best way to revise (especially the poems) is to learn the books/plays and poems as best as you can. You'll pick up quotes as you go, and theres lots of workbooks out there. Flashcards dont really work for me, but they might for you

Hi! Yes I’m always trying to re-read the books & poems when I can. For the poems, I’ve realised that the questions are 85-90% of the time to do with the themes of the poems so I’ve been trying to learn those, I don’t know if that’s any help for you! I find the CGP revision books to be very helpful, especially for the poems. Good luck with your exams!
Hi! Yes I’m always trying to re-read the books & poems when I can. For the poems, I’ve realised that the questions are 85-90% of the time to do with the themes of the poems so I’ve been trying to learn those, I don’t know if that’s any help for you! I find the CGP revision books to be very helpful, especially for the poems. Good luck with your exams!

My exam board is AQA and I always find that AQA gives a much more solid and clear explanation of points especially for science, since the CGP books don't have all of the AQA content, due to the fact that AQA changed its exams in the past couple years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending