The Student Room Group

Extra Curriculars for Medicine

Hi, I’m hoping to apply to UCL for medicine but I feel as though I lack extracurricular activities . I’ve been volunteering at a care Home for a year, done a week at the GP’s, a week at the paediatric, done an online course about genes, read some books around medicine. I’m also part of medicine club and debate club at school. It’s sounds like a lot but I play no sports ! I played piano till grade 2. What can I do? Any advice will relieve a lot of stress
Original post by slaybae
Hi, I’m hoping to apply to UCL for medicine but I feel as though I lack extracurricular activities . I’ve been volunteering at a care Home for a year, done a week at the GP’s, a week at the paediatric, done an online course about genes, read some books around medicine. I’m also part of medicine club and debate club at school. It’s sounds like a lot but I play no sports ! I played piano till grade 2. What can I do? Any advice will relieve a lot of stress

You work experience and volunteering sound very good.

What do you do for fun?
Reply 2
Original post by Democracy
You work experience and volunteering sound very good.

What do you do for fun?

I really enjoy singing and playing badminton . I also like baking but I don’t do anything to a competitive level :frown:
Original post by slaybae
I really enjoy singing and playing badminton . I also like baking but I don’t do anything to a competitive level :frown:

That's fine, write about those. They're not looking to recruit GBBO winners or international standard athletes.

As long as you're genuine and you can explain why you're interested in your hobbies and why you think it's important for doctors to have outside interests, you'll do fine. They don't actually care what you do or whether you have any achievements in it - they just want to see that you're a multi-dimensional person who's interested in things outside of revising for A levels.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
That's fine, write about those. They're not looking to recruit GBBO winners or international standard athletes.

As long as you're genuine and you can explain why you're interested in your hobbies and why you think it's important for doctors to have outside interests, you'll do fine. They don't actually care what you do or whether you have any achievements in it - they just want to see that you're a multi-dimensional person who's interested in things outside of revising for A levels.

You think that’ll be ok ?
Original post by slaybae
You think that’ll be ok ?

Definitely! I just got an offer for UCL medicine (Sep 2018 entry) and it sounds like you do more extra curriculars than I do! In my interview, I just mentioned I play in the orchestra and do meditation/yoga when I’m stressed and they seemed to like that, so I think definitely quality (how well you reflect) over quantity 🙂
Original post by slaybae

Democracy's post is good and accurate.

Those are good things to talk about. You want to show that you have outside interests and can have good work-life balance.

I guess it's also useful to illustrate things like teamwork, leadership etc. I think the clubs you've mentioned at school, music, badminton would be OK to illustrate those.
Reply 7
Original post by lemonandbubbly
Definitely! I just got an offer for UCL medicine (Sep 2018 entry) and it sounds like you do more extra curriculars than I do! In my interview, I just mentioned I play in the orchestra and do meditation/yoga when I’m stressed and they seemed to like that, so I think definitely quality (how well you reflect) over quantity 🙂

That’s great!! Congrats :smile: do you mind sharing your stats like BMAT score Gcses etc
Original post by slaybae
That’s great!! Congrats :smile: do you mind sharing your stats like BMAT score Gcses etc

Thank you!
9A* and an A for GCSE, I got an A in Ad maths (the FSMQ) too. Predicted 3A*s in biology, chemistry and physics and A in AS maths 🙂
I’m really sorry but I don’t tell people what I got for BMAT, it wasn’t anything spectacular though - I think UCL is also very holistic so if you don’t do as well in one section you can make up for it in another. Best of luck!
Reply 9
Original post by lemonandbubbly
Thank you!
9A* and an A for GCSE, I got an A in Ad maths (the FSMQ) too. Predicted 3A*s in biology, chemistry and physics and A in AS maths 🙂
I’m really sorry but I don’t tell people what I got for BMAT, it wasn’t anything spectacular though - I think UCL is also very holistic so if you don’t do as well in one section you can make up for it in another. Best of luck!

Your stats are amazing and dw about sharing your BMAT :smile: I completely understand. My GCSEs aren’t the best ... only 2A* rest A. Do you think I should still apply?
Original post by slaybae
Your stats are amazing and dw about sharing your BMAT :smile: I completely understand. My GCSEs aren’t the best ... only 2A* rest A. Do you think I should still apply?

Thanks so much ☺️ don’t worry about GCSEs, I think as long as your A level/IB etc predictions are good then go for it - and I’m sure there are plenty of successful applicants with similar GCSEs as you!
Original post by slaybae

Honestly you've ticked loads of boxes so well done! The beauty of a medicine interview and personal statement is as long as you can twist the experience to show what you have learned or gained from it you'll be fine. For example, if you are in debate club like you say, then you can say that you are good at problem-solving, have excellent communication skills and like to look at things from different perspectives within a debate and wider life. So ultimately don't worry too much about what you've done (though you've done great) and think about what you've learned! Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending