The Student Room Group

GCSE History Help!Please

Hey guys:smile:

Just to note this is my first time being on the app, but anyway I really need help with writing history essays, I've done a few as homework to my teacher, but she says I need to improve on my analysis. Could anyone at all give me almost like a structure for writing essays, and explain how I can evaluate instead of just 'repeat' the story as my teacher said. For an example, my most recent homework was "Simon de Monfort was only concerned with self interest" evaluate this answer or something.

I'd really appreciate this:smile:))
Original post by Chynabenae
Hey guys:smile:

Just to note this is my first time being on the app, but anyway I really need help with writing history essays, I've done a few as homework to my teacher, but she says I need to improve on my analysis. Could anyone at all give me almost like a structure for writing essays, and explain how I can evaluate instead of just 'repeat' the story as my teacher said. For an example, my most recent homework was "Simon de Monfort was only concerned with self interest" evaluate this answer or something.

I'd really appreciate this:smile:))

Analysis is just a case of reading and understanding the question and then providing an answer that fits that.

You should normally consider what the question says and then thing about how far you agree or disagree with the statement.

You do research to examine the evidence. In this case you know the name of the person and the issue is self interest. So research what the person did and then id those things which they did from self interest and other things which are less about them but where there were other factors influencing them to take that action i.e because they were ordered or circumstances made them or they did things that didnt help them.

Once you understand what he did and why, then you can write an essay.
The point of analysis is showing the examiner how you want to conduct your investigation, methodically reviewing the evidence, what conclusions you draw from it and your overall evaluation at the end.

It would seem to me you are letting yourself down because you are not looking at and understanding the events and people. Cause and effect.

If you show the examiner you understand the question and show why some actions were in his own interest or against, then you will be giving them the argument a and evidence they will find acceptable.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Analysis is just a case of reading and understanding the question and then providing an answer that fits that.

You should normally consider what the question says and then thing about how far you agree or disagree with the statement.

You do research to examine the evidence. In this case you know the name of the person and the issue is self interest. So research what the person did and then id those things which they did from self interest and other things which are less about them but where there were other factors influencing them to take that action i.e because they were ordered or circumstances made them or they did things that didnt help them.

Once you understand what he did and why, then you can write an essay.
The point of analysis is showing the examiner how you want to conduct your investigation, methodically reviewing the evidence, what conclusions you draw from it and your overall evaluation at the end.

It would seem to me you are letting yourself down because you are not looking at and understanding the events and people. Cause and effect.

If you show the examiner you understand the question and show why some actions were in his own interest or against, then you will be giving them the argument a and evidence they will find acceptable.

Thankyou so much!
Original post by Chynabenae
Thankyou so much!

Just to give you a clue if you describe what happened, then that is only the beginning. You have to understand why these things happened and the significance. That is part of the analysis. Your teacher is interested in how you understand the events and what you make of them? Whar is your opinion?

With your example lets say he did 7 significant things in his life?

Draw up a table with 2 columns and then place the 7 things in either the acted out of self interest or acted for other reasons.

If you find he acted for 7 things in self interest, then you can agree with the title and explain why each of these actions benefited him and not others.Self interest was his motivating.

If you decide he acted always for other reasons then your essay concluded that you disagree and that he acted for other reasons.

Normally you would get a mix say 4 self interest and 3 not. In that case you weight it up and can say yes he acted mostly in self interest but on occasion he had other reasons, which were etc etc.

By analysing the events an evidence that way and explaining their significance in respect of the question then you are providing a more involved reasoned answer that will be what your teacher wants. they want your opinion based on the evidence.

Hopefully thats starting to make sense and you can see how you need to change your approach, use the evidence and start to make sense of it plus provide your opinion. Think of yourself as a detective reviewing the evidence.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Just to give you a clue if you describe what happened, then that is only the beginning. You have to understand why these things happened and the significance. That is part of the analysis. Your teacher is interested in how you understand the events and what you make of them? Whar is your opinion?

With your example lets say he did 7 significant things in his life?

Draw up a table with 2 columns and then place the 7 things in either the acted out of self interest or acted for other reasons.

If you find he acted for 7 things in self interest, then you can agree with the title and explain why each of these actions benefited him and not others.Self interest was his motivating.

If you decide he acted always for other reasons then your essay concluded that you disagree and that he acted for other reasons.

Normally you would get a mix say 4 self interest and 3 not. In that case you weight it up and can say yes he acted mostly in self interest but on occasion he had other reasons, which were etc etc.

By analysing the events an evidence that way and explaining their significance in respect of the question then you are providing a more involved reasoned answer that will be what your teacher wants. they want your opinion based on the evidence.

Hopefully thats starting to make sense and you can see how you need to change your approach, use the evidence and start to make sense of it plus provide your opinion. Think of yourself as a detective reviewing the evidence.

I think I understand, that table will really help me, I need to start thinking 'why' and not 'what' any tips on that? Like what should I consider in my answer, amazing answer by the way really helped me a lottttr

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending