The Student Room Group

Why do school shootings in america make headlines here?

In a country where it is so easy to get guns things like this are to be expected. It happened so many times and it will continue happening its not ****ing news worthy to the uk. At most is should be mentioned in a news briefing for a few seconds if anything.

Scroll to see replies

When a lot of people die in a horrific way people want to know about it so that they can show their support for the families and people affected. It is not just about people in the UK being told about it, it is about it being broadcasted so people can understand that change has to be made
Reply 2
Original post by Eleanor311
When a lot of people die in a horrific way people want to know about it so that they can show their support for the families and people affected. It is not just about people in the UK being told about it, it is about it being broadcasted so people can understand that change has to be made

People die in horrific ways all around the world. Why focus so much on america?
Because America is such a powerful country and it is shocking that things like this still goes on in such a modern country
Also nobody in the UK likes Donald Trump so it is just another way to make him look bad
Reply 5
Original post by Eleanor311
Because America is such a powerful country and it is shocking that things like this still goes on in such a modern country

not really when you see how stupid a lot of americans are. Mass shooting will happen a lot if people have easy access to guns - these things are to be expected in America.
It's a stick to beat America (and by extension "the West") with - and to say "look how terrible America is".

There are mass murders all the time in other countries. Mexico is more violent than Afghanistan. It's not trendy or cool to make out that these countries are bad, though.
it's important. it's important we are aware of what's happening around the world especially when it something as horrendous as this
Original post by Charliepow
it's important. it's important we are aware of what's happening around the world especially when it something as horrendous as this

It's just a liberal anti-gun political agenda. They don't really even want to get rid of guns - they just want to make Republicans / conservatives look bad.

There are mass shootings every day around the world, and if we reported on all of them, there would be no time for anything else.

If there were a mass shooting in Vietnam or Peru tomorrow - likely no-one would give a toss. Not because anyone has any special empathy with Americans - most people are no more likely to go to small-town America than they are to Vietnam or Peru; but because there is some intangible capital to be gained by commenting on American Politics, and there is some reflected criticism of the American right and the British right.

Bottom line - it's cool to hate Trump. It's cool to call Americans gun nuts. No-one even knows who the President of Vietnam or Peru is, and if you call the people names, it's rather racist.
Original post by Trinculo
It's just a liberal anti-gun political agenda. They don't really even want to get rid of guns - they just want to make Republicans / conservatives look bad.

There are mass shootings every day around the world, and if we reported on all of them, there would be no time for anything else.

If there were a mass shooting in Vietnam or Peru tomorrow - likely no-one would give a toss. Not because anyone has any special empathy with Americans - most people are no more likely to go to small-town America than they are to Vietnam or Peru; but because there is some intangible capital to be gained by commenting on American Politics, and there is some reflected criticism of the American right and the British right.

Bottom line - it's cool to hate Trump. It's cool to call Americans gun nuts. No-one even knows who the President of Vietnam or Peru is, and if you call the people names, it's rather racist.

You're right we can't report every gun crime. we don't but the ones we do report are ones like this one. as it was in a school and I shouldn't need to explain why a shooting in a school is horrendous. gang gun crime is not reported in America in such large scale because it is so common youre right but excuseme for being so liberal and anti-gun by supporting the fact that this is news. people shooting up schools should be talked about and yes there should be something done to help provent this for occurring again. sorry for sounding so politaically liberal but what happened was an atrocity and actions need to be taken
Reply 10
It makes me appreciate UK gun laws, the no one ever has to fear they wont make it home from school alive. Quite the opposite, they know they’ll be coming home everyday with a slightly better quality of life having learnt something new or having had a good experience. I guess the UK enjoys the gun law debate because of the success of changes after Dunblane and it once was a huge political debate in this country although nowhere near as big as it is in the USA
and also I do agree with your point about news coverage ignoring what is happening in eastern countries and I disagree with ignoring it very much but I'm aware the news covered this because it was such an awful crime that has happened in a first world country, one that isn't struck with civil war or evil dictators.
You're right we can't report every gun crime. we don't but the ones we do report are ones like this one. as it was in a school and I shouldn't need to explain why a shooting in a school is horrendous. gang gun crime is not reported in America in such large scale because it is so common youre right but excuseme for being so liberal and anti-gun by supporting the fact that this is news. people shooting up schools should be talked about and yes there should be something done to help provent this for occurring again. sorry for sounding so politaically liberal but what happened was an atrocity and actions need to be taken

Babies got shot execution style in Mogadishu recently. No-one cares because Somalia is a very violent place, and it's self-evident that calling for the removal of guns from Somalia is pointless and stupid, and there is no political capital to be gained.

Beslen was pretty much the most horrific terrorist attack of modern times, but it stayed in the news only a very short time. That was not just a school shooting, but a school massacre with systematic executions. No-one cares about Russia, and it's not cool to harp on about Muslims.
Babies got shot execution style in Mogadishu recently. No-one cares because Somalia is a very violent place, and it's self-evident that calling for the removal of guns from Somalia is pointless and stupid, and there is no political capital to be gained.

Beslen was pretty much the most horrific terrorist attack of modern times, but it stayed in the news only a very short time. That was not just a school shooting, but a school massacre with systematic executions. No-one cares about Russia, and it's not cool to harp on about Muslims.

the diffremce is one is an incredibly poor country, riddled with war and the other is a incredibly rich and economically successful country where crimes like this can be easily redused and even stoped. (I am not talking about banning guns I am talking about the fact a mentally unstable 19 year old boy was legally and incredibly easily managed to be his hands on that gun which is appalling I my eyes and can quite easily be stoped by simply making that not restrictions on who can have guns leaving stable, sound minded people happy to own a gun if they so wish)
I agree the news does not cover enough on discusting crimes that are happening in other countries but this doesn't mean they cannot ignore hideous crime a happening in america
Probably because it involved teenagers in a school, so it made the crime more horrific. Also, in case you haven't noticed, many people in this country care alot about this and have very strong opinions on it. LBC for example, were able to have multiple discussions on this spanning nearly the whole week and each of those had busy phone lines.
Thankfully the governor of that state (Florida) rejected the proposal. It would be dangerous because Florida is a Stand Your Ground state which allows people to kill if they emotionally deem necessary-even if it's not necessary. Imagine teachers just shooting students for chatting back a little loudly...to prevent school shootings from other students. Makes no sense.
Do you find the idea of World News puzzling?
the diffremce is one is an incredibly poor country, riddled with war and the other is a incredibly rich and economically successful country where crimes like this can be easily redused and even stoped. (I am not talking about banning guns I am talking about the fact a mentally unstable 19 year old boy was legally and incredibly easily managed to be his hands on that gun which is appalling I my eyes and can quite easily be stoped by simply making that not restrictions on who can have guns leaving stable, sound minded people happy to own a gun if they so wish)
I agree the news does not cover enough on discusting crimes that are happening in other countries but this doesn't mean they cannot ignore hideous crime a happening in america

This is reducing incredibly complex things to outrageous simplicities.

It's one thing to point out failures like those of the FBI in this case, or failures of licensing or availability in other cases. But to declare that you believe that mass shootings could be easily solved is wildly speculative.

The point about the bad countries is that no-one cares about how bad they are, and people like to look the other way. Not because the crimes aren't horrific, but because they like to attack "The West". It makes people feel good to rip on America or Britain, but they don't like the idea that there are problems in other countries that can't be blamed on "The West".
This is reducing incredibly complex things to outrageous simplicities.

It's one thing to point out failures like those of the FBI in this case, or failures of licensing or availability in other cases. But to declare that you believe that mass shootings could be easily solved is wildly speculative.

The point about the bad countries is that no-one cares about how bad they are, and people like to look the other way. Not because the crimes aren't horrific, but because they like to attack "The West". It makes people feel good to rip on America or Britain, but they don't like the idea that there are problems in other countries that can't be blamed on "The West".

it is not wildly speculative they can reduce mass shooting as many other countries have put actions in place to stop it and succeeded. The American government are refusing to even have a talk about it (as they think the problem of open is much more important).
I wouldn't disagree completely with your point about us not being able to blame eastern disasters on the west. i feel as if you believe news these days is mainly run by liberal propaganda which client be further than the truth tbh. the mojarity of news networks are run by extremely conservative powers and report on news that people will want to hear. and yes as horrible as it seems people do care more about America that other 3rd world countries.
it is not wildly speculative they can reduce mass shooting as many other countries have put actions in place to stop it and succeeded. The American government are refusing to even have a talk about it (as they think the problem of open is much more important).

The situation isn't as in other countries, though. The US has phenomenon that aren't apparent in other countries - a far richer and more urbanised society, with many more firearms. There aren't any comparable nations that have had similar issues and solved them.

The US Government isn't "refusing" to talk about these issues. In the main, what we have are victims, opposition politicians and highly politicised celebrities screaming and shouting for "change" without actually specifying what change they want. Almost all the noise has been about "gun control" coupled with a lot of emotion. It's not clear what that means, if it would be effective, and from an outsider view (as in from Britain or Europe) we completely ignore the enormous constitutional implications. Changing the Constitution isn't a trifling matter, if that's what people want.

I'd add that one measure that might (and only might) have some impact would be an outright ban on all firearms. This is the point at which anti-gun people are the ones refusing to talk - the implications could be too terrible to contemplate - which is why they're not talking about it - they're just shouting a lot.

I wouldn't disagree completely with your point about us not being able to blame eastern disasters on the west. i feel as if you believe news these days is mainly run by liberal propaganda which client be further than the truth tbh. the mojarity of news networks are run by extremely conservative powers and report on news that people will want to hear. and yes as horrible as it seems people do care more about America that other 3rd world countries.

The US media is incredibly liberally-biased. Given that the country is more or less 50/50 in Democrats/Republicans, there is only one "conservative" network - Fox, and only one "conservative" major newspaper - The WSJ, which doesn't concentrate overwhelmingly on social issues. Pretty much all other TV and print media has a strong liberal or Democratic bias - and an even stronger anti-Trump agenda. The coverage, opinion and editorial on Trump relative to Obama couldn't be more stark. I'm not a particular Trump fan, and some of his stuff is terrible. But look at how all of a sudden there has been a shooting, and the media narrative is all about dead children being the fault of Trump and Republicans.

Obama has his fair share of mass shootings, he had 8 years and a large House majority. He did nothing about gun control, which is apparently such a huge concern to Democrats and liberals all of a sudden. I don't recall CNN, NBC and pretty much every talk show host constantly moralising about Obama's inaction on guns.

Quick Reply

Latest