The Student Room Group

Could someone work this maths out?

Could someone work this maths out. So Im doing a degree and second year scores contribute to 25% of the total degree score. In my second year I got 57%

The third year consists of 4 modules and contributes 75% of the total degree mark. If I get 67%, 40%, 40% and 40% in third year what will my overall score be at the end of the degree?
49.3%
Reply 2
Original post by firemansam212
49.3%

Damn. But thanks so much : )
Original post by inthedark1
Could someone work this maths out. So Im doing a degree and second year scores contribute to 25% of the total degree score. In my second year I got 57%

The third year consists of 4 modules and contributes 75% of the total degree mark. If I get 67%, 40%, 40% and 40% in third year what will my overall score be at the end of the degree?

Do those 4 modules weigh equally? Theres not enough information to carry out a definitive calculation
Reply 4
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Do those 4 modules weigh equally? Theres not enough information to carry out a definitive calculation

Yes they are the same weighting. I was also wondering whether or not units get capped at 40% if an assessment is failed. Say there were 2 assessments/essays in a unit with equal weighting and you got 70% for one but failed the other at 30%. Even though you had to resit the failed assessment would the total mark for unit be 50% or would it be capped at 40..
Yes they are the same weighting. I was also wondering whether or not units get capped at 40% if an assessment is failed. Say there were 2 assessments/essays in a unit with equal weighting and you got 70% for one but failed the other at 30%. Even though you had to resit the failed assessment would the total mark for unit be 50% or would it be capped at 40..

so those two would give a 50% average. However, yes, most uni's policy is that modules to be retaken are capped at 40% (pass grade).

This means the most you can get after retaking is 55%

Why are you aiming so low? You should at least shoot for three modules at 55% and up and one weak.... not understanding your logic, there is still time! second sem just started.. you have to carry those grades around the rest of your life tbf!!!
Reply 7
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Why are you aiming so low? You should at least shoot for three modules at 55% and up and one weak.... not understanding your logic, there is still time! second sem just started.. you have to carry those grades around the rest of your life tbf!!!

Im finding things difficult ever since the words critical analysis and synthesis were mentioned a few weeks ago. I have a research proposal to do and Ive not started it because I've absolutely no idea how to do a literature search or why they are done. I attended the seminar on it but it was all aimed at quantitative research and it confused me, as Im doing a qualitative design. Everyone else seems to understand it.

Also my grades won't matter in the long run. Some employers gave a talk at my university and at the end when asked if anyone had any questions someone asked 'do you take into account degree classification', they looked at each other blankly and just shook their heads and said no they wouldn't take it into account, everyone started laughing. Im studying nursing so all employers are concerned about are professional skills and knowledge.
(edited 6 years ago)
Im finding things difficult ever since the words critical analysis and synthesis were mentioned a few weeks ago. I have a research proposal to do and Ive not started it because I've absolutely no idea how to do a literature search or why they are done. I attended the seminar on it but it was all aimed at quantitative research and it confused me, as Im doing a qualitative design. Everyone else seems to understand it.

Also my grades won't matter in the long run. Some employers gave a talk at my university and at the end when asked if anyone had any questions someone asked 'do you take into account degree classification', they looked at each other blankly and just shook their heads and said no they wouldn't take it into account, everyone started laughing. Im studying nursing so all employers are concerned about are professional skills and knowledge.

surely you couldnt have done nearly 3 years without hearing first year terms like critical analysis? i dont know whats going on in nursing but that doesnt sound good for the NHS, nor do those employers have high aspirations... maybe im too used to nurses being high paid and extremely smart (US).Always sad to see how second class they are taught in UK and im also German so its not just hear. In business (course i do) i think research and critical analysis is all our degree is about, maybe it differs. If all you need is a pass though best of luck, i know if i graduated with a 2:2 or god forbid lower i would sink into the floor lol.
Reply 9
surely you couldnt have done nearly 3 years without hearing first year terms like critical analysis? i dont know whats going on in nursing but that doesnt sound good for the NHS, nor do those employers have high aspirations... maybe im too used to nurses being high paid and extremely smart (US).Always sad to see how second class they are taught in UK and im also German so its not just hear. In business (course i do) i think research and critical analysis is all our degree is about, maybe it differs. If all you need is a pass though best of luck, i know if i graduated with a 2:2 or god forbid lower i would sink into the floor lol.

Well I heard the terms, but Im not great on quantatitive analysis to be honest. I managed to get 72% for an assignment on critical analysis of a qualitative paper but Im not sure how to critique quantatitive for example, so im not great at it. All i know is you assess for reliability and validity. Its the literature serach which im struggling with.They said my initial idea was good but I dont know where to begin in terms if starting it and everyone else is starting theres.

Maybe a nursing course is harder in the US Im not sure, I wouldnt like to guess as Ive never studied nursing in the US. Over here employers dont care about degree classification though apparantly as long as you pass it shows you meet the professional requirements. They argue its not about being an academic bookworm as long as you meet a certain academic standard its about real life skills and personal qualities as at the end of the day thats what you spend 40 plus years doing, not writing essays, so thats what they look for in job applications. So Im trying to work out what Id get ie the least Id get if i have to resit these difficult modules comming up. Id be proud with a 2.2. Believe it or not I actually perform worse on placements than academically lol

Yea again I don't know about nursing in the US. Someone from there did say the UK system is much better than the US as we are lucky to have the NHS etc, despite its difficulties, but thats just one person. Others might consider how the NHS is falling apart and see think how **** it is. I don't know Id have to spend time in the US and see.
Reply 10
yes it is CAPPED always and forever

CALCULATIONS
2nd year 14.25
3rd year 35.06
final: 49.25%

i sure hope you don't become a nurse.

Original post by Alumna
yes it is CAPPED always and forever

CALCULATIONS
2nd year 14.25
3rd year 35.06
final: 49.25%

i sure hope you don't become a nurse.

Yea I know I'm **** Ive heard it off others you don't need to tell me. One woman said that if I was on a ward and she walked on she'd just turn round and walk out. Same woman told a guy not to ask me about blood pressure as I wouldn't know, apparently he was going to. A nurse assistant told another student that she can't image me running a ward as Im far too quiet. Somehow Ive managed to pass so far though. The comments can knock your confidence after a bit. Funnily enough all the people who have said **** haven't even been to university.
Reply 12
Yea I know I'm **** Ive heard it off others you don't need to tell me. One woman said that if I was on a ward and she walked on she'd just turn round and walk out. Same woman told a guy not to ask me about blood pressure as I wouldn't know, apparently he was going to. A nurse assistant told another student that she can't image me running a ward as Im far too quiet. Somehow Ive managed to pass so far though. The comments can knock your confidence after a bit. Funnily enough all the people who have said **** haven't even been to university.

It has nothing to do with comments, more with your proficiency, I would trust you in killing someone. To be honest as long as you can do the job then it is fine, if you cannot please dont jeapordise someone health
Original post by Alumna
It has nothing to do with comments, more with your proficiency, I would trust you in killing someone. To be honest as long as you can do the job then it is fine, if you cannot please dont jeapordise someone health

Ive made mistakes that Ive not even posted on here. Ive even had a verbal warning. So has my friend, for taking someone on a respiratory ward off a medical device, she didn't know that he might have died with ought it. Yet she received full marks on placements and has already secured a job. Everyone in healthcare has made a mistake, not everyone tells people though or posts their weaknesses on a forum. Though isn't it up to the people assessing me to decide my proficiency, as opposed to people who don't do nursing? Did you know that one of the most important things in healthcare to have is self awareness, of your weaknesses.

Why would you trust me in killing someone?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Ive made mistakes that Ive not even posted on here. Ive even had a verbal warning. So has my friend, for taking someone on a respiratory ward off a medical device, she didn't know that he might have died with ought it. Yet she received full marks on placements and has already secured a job. Everyone in healthcare has made a mistake, not everyone tells people though or posts their weaknesses on a forum. Though isn't it up to the people assessing me to decide my proficiency, as opposed to people who don't do nursing? Did you know that one of the most important things in healthcare to have is self awareness, of your weaknesses.

Why would you trust me in killing someone?

yes but i am not pinpointing just you anyone that makes such a fatal mistake is not just self awareness, all research done on culture of work environment and how to study INCLUDES practices of 2nd and 3rd world countries or ethnic minorities. The reason i mention this is because their reasons for decisions and what is acceptable VARIES.

So just because you or your colleague has learnt it is bad to kill someone, really isn't sufficient enough to allow you to be a competent nurse especially if working in the ICU ..come on. this is no joke.

it is sarcasm, i trust that you will be able to kill someone
Original post by Alumna
yes but i am not pinpointing just you anyone that makes such a fatal mistake is not just self awareness, all research done on culture of work environment and how to study INCLUDES practices of 2nd and 3rd world countries or ethnic minorities. The reason i mention this is because their reasons for decisions and what is acceptable VARIES.

So just because you or your colleague has learnt it is bad to kill someone, really isn't sufficient enough to allow you to be a competent nurse especially if working in the ICU ..come on. this is no joke.

it is sarcasm, i trust that you will be able to kill someone

I don't understand the first bit.

Pretty much everyone I know in nursing has weaknesses or has made mistakes. The nurses who have looked after you, you don't know their background or weaknesses you just automatically trust them. The difference is I have been honest and posted my faults on a public forum. Better the devil you know as they say : p I don't plan in staying in nursing long anyway. Theres that much pressure on nurses theres many that are quitting, often the workload in humanly impossible.
Reply 16
I don't understand the first bit.

Pretty much everyone I know in nursing has weaknesses or has made mistakes. The nurses who have looked after you, you don't know their background or weaknesses you just automatically trust them. The difference is I have been honest and posted my faults on a public forum. Better the devil you know as they say : p I don't plan in staying in nursing long anyway. Theres that much pressure on nurses theres many that are quitting, often the workload in humanly impossible.

i know people make mistake sbut i believe its all the new nurses from the past 5-10 years that lack experience because they actually don't have much knowledge and experience compared to old nurses its a completely different cohort and things are made much more simplistic now.

Yeah, I've always noticed this.

Pharmacy and nursing seems a lot more respected in the US - might be because of the higher salary.

Consequnce of the NHS I suppose.
Original post by Alumna
i know people make mistake sbut i believe its all the new nurses from the past 5-10 years that lack experience because they actually don't have much knowledge and experience compared to old nurses its a completely different cohort and things are made much more simplistic now.

What do you mean things are made more simplistic?

My mum is an old nurse and she actually trained in the hospital, she did some theory and obviously has many practical skills but she doesn't know how to critically analyse research nor has she much in depth knowledge on physiology, yet she knows enough to do the job. For example she can't explain the pathophysiology behind pain to the level I have been taught it whereas with nurses these days its part of the curriculum. Then again maybe they didn't have as much solid research out back then.
Reply 19
What do you mean things are made more simplistic?

My mum is an old nurse and she actually trained in the hospital, she did some theory and obviously has many practical skills but she doesn't know how to critically analyse research nor has she much in depth knowledge on physiology, yet she knows enough to do the job. For example she can't explain the pathophysiology behind pain to the level I have been taught it whereas with nurses these days its part of the curriculum. Then again maybe they didn't have as much solid research out back then.

exactly my point, your mum for example is a pure representation of nurses back then who have more experience and knowledge, what you learn in books does not always translate in practice.

So why does she need to critically analyse research? meanwhile she is NOT killing or putting anyones life at danger

Quick Reply

Latest