The Student Room Group

It is true that americans do not criticize the Government and its organization?

Hi guys.

I spoke to some american guys, I know it's a country that is contains lots of personalities, but from my discussions with them, I found out that they do not criticize very often something that was made by the government.

If someone is poor is his fault, is not because the lack of opportunities.
If USA have to attack country and throw bombs in Syria, it's because it have to be like that, there aren't other options.

No one complain in the USA, or if someone have to criticize something, prefer to not do that in a explicit way.
When you criticize something you are targeted as a lazy person.

What do you think?

Thanks
WiSi.
Dunno about that... I hear a lot of americans who are suspicious of their government and think it's got priorities that are not aligned with their own. They don't have PAYE afaik so people have to actually write a cheque (check) to the government annually- which makes them focus a bit more on what it's doing with their money IMO.

probably they give less of a monkeys about foreign policy that brits though - generally thinking of the rest of the world as a distant and deeply mysterious place is a bit of an American trait.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
Dunno about that... I hear a lot of americans who are suspicious of their government and think it's got priorities that are not aligned with their own. They don't have PAYE afaik so people have to actually write a cheque (check) to the government annually- which makes them focus a bit more on what it's doing with their money IMO.

probably they give less of a monkeys about foreign policy that brits though - generally thinking of the rest of the world as a distant and deeply mysterious place is a bit of an American trait.

They have very different system, they care more about money them politics.
Giving an example, why a lots of them are interested in the stock exchange market, while most of the people, at least where I like ( Italy), don't know what it is or how it work?

I heard that they do not have a regular pension like Europeans, but they have the 401k, which is a way to invest the money in the company you work for.

I mean, it's too much importance given in the money then in anything else, why?

1) They want to build a wall for Mexicans and at the same time continue to sell their junk food as Coca Cola etc. to them.....this is not coherent ?

2) They put biggest limitation to the people that want to go there and visit the USA.
Lots of people can't do this, because are not included in the VISA program, but at the same time those people have their own country full of american fast food like McDonalds.

3) People do not protest against stuff like high tuition fees.
In Italy, when the Minister wanted to make taxes more expensive ( from 400 to 600 euros) lots of student organized associations and protested, and they also winner their fight for the right.

WiSi.
This is... incredibly wrong, no, it's not true. Maybe it is true for the tiny tiny tiny subsection of people you spoke to, but there was literally photos just the other day of a HUGE group of Americans marching on their city hall to protest something or other. People are very outspoken critics of Trump, and people march/protest in cities across the US all the time, now more than ever.
Reply 4
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
This is... incredibly wrong, no, it's not true. Maybe it is true for the tiny tiny tiny subsection of people you spoke to, but there was literally photos just the other day of a HUGE group of Americans marching on their city hall to protest something or other. People are very outspoken critics of Trump, and people march/protest in cities across the US all the time, now more than ever.

Last person I spoke with, told me that he is happy about Trump, because the stock marketing is going very good and is trying to stop the people that want to do in the USA.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by WiSi
Last person I spoke with, told me that he is happy about Trump, because the stock marketing is going very good and is trying to stop the people that want to do in the USA.

There are over 300 million people in the US. Obviously some people are happy with Trump, but it doesn't make them representive of the entire population.
Reply 6
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
There are over 300 million people in the US. Obviously some people are happy with Trump, but it doesn't make them representive of the entire population.

Yes, it's true, I was impressed just because this guy was a university teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest