The Student Room Group

Driving automatic immediately after passing manual test?

My parents have an automatic car that I want to start driving. I've only ever driven manual and passed my test a few days ago. I'm quite nervous though, because I have no experience whatsoever in an automatic and don't want to crash the very first time I drive one? How long does it take to get the hang of it? I would like to take a lesson or two in an automatic just to get the feel of it but I'm completely drained of money rn. Anyone?
Automatic is easier to drive than manual lol. You literally just need to accelerate and brake there's no clutch and no gear changing. The principles of driving don't change you still drive exactly how you were taught you just don't have to bother with changing gear. If you are nervous though then just go out a few times with your parents to get the hang of it.
Reply 2
Original post by Anygy
My parents have an automatic car that I want to start driving. I've only ever driven manual and passed my test a few days ago. I'm quite nervous though, because I have no experience whatsoever in an automatic and don't want to crash the very first time I drive one? How long does it take to get the hang of it? I would like to take a lesson or two in an automatic just to get the feel of it but I'm completely drained of money rn. Anyone?

Ask one of your parents to take you out in it first and have a practice in a quiet side street, as if your were a learner again.

But honestly it's not that difficult. You'll be fine.

If the car is larger than your usual/learning car then that's more likely to be the, er, bigger issue than being an automatic.

Just take your time and it will come pretty naturally.

Edit: presumably you are correctly insured to drive this car?
Reply 3
Driving an automatic is a bit like a dodgem car, you just put it is gear, stear and break. There is really nothing to it. You will still try and use the clutch and gears for the first half a day and laugh at yourself every time when you find thin air 😂
Hmm so how does the auto actually work? I have questions:

1) how do you deal with uphill starts? What's the process?
2) when in reverse, do you use gas?
3) if you're stopped at traffic lights and the light turns green, so you lift your foot off the brake will the car roll back?
Reply 5
Original post by Anygy

3) if you're stopped at traffic lights and the light turns green, so you lift your foot off the brake will the car roll back?

Go out with one of your parents...
1) hand brake is on, engage drive, v gently press the accelerator and gently release the handbrake

2) if necessary

3) no because you have the hand brake on.

And, are you actually insured to drive it?
Reply 6
Original post by Anygy

1, Move your foot from the break to the accelerator. You don't use your clutch foot at all.

2, Yes. Reverse has a different setting on the auto 'gearbox'.

3,Depends on the car, one of ours automatics has assisted anti rollback.
Original post by Anygy

1) Same as you would in a manual. Set the revs, handbrake off, gradually give more gas and off you go.

2) Again same as in a manual. If you need gas then do it.

3) Probably not because it takes less than 1 second to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator so if you did roll back it would only be a few centimeters unless you are stopped on a steep hill in which case you can just put the handbrake on. And again it's the same as in a manual. I know when you are a learner you are told to always put the handbrake on when stopped but in reality nobody does that after their test everyone just uses the foot brake and people hardly roll back.

Think of it this way. Driving an automatic is exactly the same as driving a manual except the car uses the clutch for you. You still use the same amount of gas, steer the same, brake the same etc Everything is exactly the same except you have one less pedal.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
And I'd suggest not getting into the habit of using your left foot to brake. Your left is just there to have a nice relaxing time and keeps out of the way.

Especialy if you plan to drive a manual at the same time or in the near future.
It doesn't take long at all.
Original post by Doonesbury
Go out with one of your parents...
1) hand brake is on, engage drive, v gently press the accelerator and gently release the handbrake

2) if necessary

3) no because you have the hand brake on.

And, are you actually insured to drive it?

Thanks for the info, and as of yet, no I'm not insured (as I said, I literally just passed my test not long ago) but I know that I need insurance. Right now, I just wanted to know a bit more about automatic.
Original post by Unknown-99
1) Same as you would in a manual. Set the revs, handbrake off, gradually give more gas and off you go.

2) Again same as in a manual. If you need gas then do it.

3) Probably not because it takes less than 1 second to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator so if you did roll back it would only be a few centimeters unless you are stopped on a steep hill in which case you can just put the handbrake on. And again it's the same as in a manual. I know when you are a learner you are told to always put the handbrake on when stopped but in reality nobody does that after their test everyone just uses the foot brake and people hardly roll back.

Think of it this way. Driving an automatic is exactly the same as driving a manual except the car uses the clutch for you. You still use the same amount of gas, steer the same, brake the same etc Everything is exactly the same except you have one less pedal.

Sounds like the life....... :u:

I'm a little surprised though, I seem to hear from a lot of people that ALL automatics will not roll back on a hill but will stay in place. I probably just heard them wrong though?
Reply 12
I got an automatic a few days ago, only driven it twice, but been extremely easy since the first time. Probably took 5 minutes to get comfortable in it, I've been driving manual for 10 years and the hard part was stopping "muscle memory" of reaching to change gear, moving your left foot to go for the clutch...

In drive, the car will drive even without your foot on the accelerator - it will slowly creep forward. This is nice for driving slowly, e.g. in a car park, you just use the break on its own (gently) to control your speed and don't touch the accelerator until you actually want to go.

It also means that so far at least the car simply will not roll backwards. I have not tried it on a steep hill yet but so far whenever I take my foot off break to move to accelerator I don't get any of the slight rollback you can get from a manual due to being on a hill etc.

Its all a bit strange, unnecessarily expensive (poor mpg and car more expensive) but I can see why people would want them... If you drive a lot, it reduces the work you need to do. I'm only in one cause of my girlfriend.

I'm sure you'll like it, and get used to it quickly, even if you're new to driving.
Reply 13
Original post by mhsc

It also means that so far at least the car simply will not roll backwards. I have not tried it on a steep hill yet but so far whenever I take my foot off break to move to accelerator I don't get any of the slight rollback you can get from a manual due to being on a hill etc.

This depends on the car. A lot of modern automatic cars don't roll back but some do. For those that do roll back you have to be confident using the handbrake for starts.
Reply 14
Original post by Notnek
This depends on the car. A lot of modern automatic cars don't roll back but some do. For those that do roll back you have to be confident using the handbrake for starts.

Fair enough, no different to a manual then really, just wait for the feel that the car is ready to move forward before taking off the handbrake.
Reply 15
Original post by mhsc
Fair enough, no different to a manual then really, just wait for the feel that the car is ready to move forward before taking off the handbrake.

Yep. I've always driven semi-automatic cars and in a new car I always get a feel for it first because you can't assume what it will be like.
Original post by Anygy
Sounds like the life....... :u:

I'm a little surprised though, I seem to hear from a lot of people that ALL automatics will not roll back on a hill but will stay in place. I probably just heard them wrong though?

It depends on the car. Most new cars do have the auto hold feature so it just depends how old your car is. Best thing to do is just ask your parents they will know if it has auto hold or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending