The Student Room Group

Sutton Trust overdoing the positive discrimination

So I've had a portion of my schooling in an independent school, through the hard work and sacrifice of my parents. I'm in the state sector now, but tough, it seems the Sutton Trust exclude applicants unless their education has been 100% state provided. Are there any non-discriminatory alternatives that run similar programs at universities?
Original post by QIWirelessCharge
So I've had a portion of my schooling in an independent school, through the hard work and sacrifice of my parents. I'm in the state sector now, but tough, it seems the Sutton Trust exclude applicants unless their education has been 100% state provided. Are there any non-discriminatory alternatives that run similar programs at universities?

Individual universities offer summer schools eg SOAS, UCL and Oxford

Why do you say they are overdoing it? They have very limited places and seek out the most disadvantaged. Lots of people who have been 100% in the state sector wont be chosen either.

Would you have met the other criteria?

Summer schools arent essential, just get some work experience or d something relevant to your chosen degree. There are other summer schools , but you might have to pay.
Oh I see. Thanks but watch your prejudice.
Reply 4
Thank you. I’ve been raising this issue over in the Sutton trust thread. I feel the application is unfair by overly compensating the ethical minorities etc. What if an applicant has an income just above the amount to claim pupil premium. I live in an area which is average but with a good school. But people travel from lesser rated areas, however still benefit from my areas schooling. I feel the application is quite unfair in that means. And I’m pretty positive I do not have a place. It’s frustrating as there is no way of portraying your interest. The course I’ve applied for ties in with what my epq is; however there’s no means of showing this through the application
I think hard-working responsible people caught in the middle, neither rich, nor on benefits for every little thing, need a bit of a break sometimes.
Oh I see. Thanks but watch your prejudice.

What prejudice would that be? Seems to be you that's displayed your lack of knowledge about why Sutton Trusts exists.

There are plenty of alternatives.
What's your problem sunshine? Your prejudice is that you think anybody who has had even a brief stint in an independent school must be privileged and wealthy, and so doesn't deserve a shot at a summer school. Get out of here, and don't come the clever clogs with me.

Quick Reply

Latest