The Student Room Group

Course dilemma

Regarding course choice.

Hi all - this question regards university choice subject. I have received three unconditional offers one for BSC Adult Nursing at Stirling University Scotland and the others at York St John University for LLB Law and Teesside University for LLB Law with Policing.

In terms of employment prospects after graduation which is the best? I am honestly torn between becoming a Nurse, a police officer or a lawyer. I really need some advice what to do.

Thanks

Martin
Original post by Hazard17!
Regarding course choice.

Hi all - this question regards university choice subject. I have received three unconditional offers one for BSC Adult Nursing at Stirling University Scotland and the others at York St John University for LLB Law and Teesside University for LLB Law with Policing.

In terms of employment prospects after graduation which is the best? I am honestly torn between becoming a Nurse, a police officer or a lawyer. I really need some advice what to do.

Thanks

Martin

An LLB doesn’t qualify you to become a lawyer. You have to take an expensive postgraduate qualification to become a solicitor (assuming that’s what you mean by being a lawyer).

If you want a guaranteed job then nursing is your best option...but it’s a tough degree and career if you’re not sure. Are you in a rush to get to university? Have you looked into taking a gap year and getting some work experience or shadowing in the different areas you’re interested in.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
An LLB doesn’t qualify you to become a lawyer. You have to take an expensive postgraduate qualification to become a solicitor (assuming that’s what you mean by being a lawyer).

If you want a guaranteed job then nursing is your best option...but it’s a tough degree and career if you’re not sure. Are you in a rush to get to university? Have you looked into taking a gap year and getting some work experience or shadowing in the different areas you’re interested in.

Its called an LPC course for short or Legal practice course. Furthermore you could do BPTC, Barrister professional training course.
Original post by jdddd
Its called an LPC course for short or Legal practice course. Furthermore you could do BPTC, Barrister professional training course.

Yes I am aware of that. I’m not sure how that helps the OP though.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Yes I am aware of that. I’m not sure how that helps the OP though.

So he is aware of the course he would have to take, instead of just telling him LLB Law doesn't qualify you as a Lawyer, from this he can search up and get and understanding of the course and how long it will take.
If you're talking about the path to lawyer from the likes of Teesside and YSJ, it's a long and bumpy road. LLB with Policing would be interesting and help with a policing career, but there are recruitment freezes all the time and to be competitive you might have to join a force on the other side of the country. Nursing is probably the easiest path to a good fulfilling job from those degrees mentioned.
Original post by J-SP
You could become a police office or a lawyer with a nursing degree. You can’t become a nurse without a nursing degree.

The PG qualification PQ mentions will only be optional after 2020 - there will be an equivalent route available after you graduate (called the SQE).

To be clear, you can become a nurse without a nursing degree. You can do a PGDip, which is two years. That would be similar to BA History + GDL + LPC.
Original post by Notoriety
To be clear, you can become a nurse without a nursing degree. You can do a PGDip, which is two years. That would be similar to BA History + GDL + LPC.

Nursing PGDip now gets undergraduate funding though (so tuition loan and maintenance loan).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending