The Student Room Group

Ordinary Residency

My daughter is applying for student finance. We returned to the UK in May 2016 and she is due to start Uni September 2018. This means she is 6 months short of the 3 years.

We initially moved overseas to be with my wife's mother who's husband had passed away. I needed to work out there to support the family. We had always planned to return to the UK but the date was not set due to the family situation.

How can I prove this?
My daughter had a new passport with no visa as the time it would take to get a new visa would be longer than the date she received the passport and left to return to the UK.
My work contract was not necessarily fixed either due to the needs of the family

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated
Original post by Benorris1977
My daughter is applying for student finance. We returned to the UK in May 2016 and she is due to start Uni September 2018. This means she is 6 months short of the 3 years.

We initially moved overseas to be with my wife's mother who's husband had passed away. I needed to work out there to support the family. We had always planned to return to the UK but the date was not set due to the family situation.

How can I prove this?
My daughter had a new passport with no visa as the time it would take to get a new visa would be longer than the date she received the passport and left to return to the UK.
My work contract was not necessarily fixed either due to the needs of the family

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

Hi Benorris1977,

To help you better can I ask is you daughter a UK National and where abroad did you move to ?

Thanks Rona
Thanks Rona,

Yes she is a British national and we were living in South Africa

Regards

Ben
Thanks Rona,

Yes she is a British national and we were living in South Africa

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben,

Depending on the circumstances the student may be eligible to apply for Student Support if they have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break.

Students will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.

What could be classed as a temporary break?

Gap Year

Holiday

Voluntary Work overseas

Working for HM Armed Forces

Parents working abroad on a temporary contact of employment

What would not be classed as a temporary break?

People who emigrate to another country outside of EEA/Switzerland

People who are unable to satisfy SFE that their break was of a temporary nature

People who have exercised their right to roam elsewhere in the EU/EEA and will be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of their course

What visa did your daughter have on her original expired passport?What type of visa did you have? In your employment did you have a contract with start and end dates?Regards Rona
Really appreciate your assistance Rona.

My daughter and I would of had indefinite leave to remain as my wife was from South Africa.

Initially we were working as missionaries but the support got less and less so I needed to find employment. The employment didn't have an official end date.

The academic year in South Africa runs Jan-December and my daughter needed to finish the year, which was the GCSE equivalent final year. It then took a few months to get the funds together to fly back.

Regards

Ben
Really appreciate your assistance Rona.

My daughter and I would of had indefinite leave to remain as my wife was from South Africa.

Initially we were working as missionaries but the support got less and less so I needed to find employment. The employment didn't have an official end date.

The academic year in South Africa runs Jan-December and my daughter needed to finish the year, which was the GCSE equivalent final year. It then took a few months to get the funds together to fly back.

Regards

Ben

Hi Ben,

I do appreciate how difficult this is for you.

The assessors need to see that the break was temporary.

When you were working as missionaries did you have a contract of emploment with a start and end date or temporary visas or work permits?

Acceptable Evidence

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature

A letter from HM armed services if applicable

Temporary visas or work permits

Dependent on the situation, you may not have any of the evidence above.
In these circumstances we would advise you to send any evidence of the break (e.g. copies of ticket receipts, accommodation lease, etc.) with a covering letter.

This evidence will be deemed acceptable on a 'case-by-case' basis.

Thanks Rona
Thanks Rona,

I am not holding out much hope on this. Perhaps you could answer another question for me.

If my daughter take a gap year, would she be able to spend a few months overseas as a missionary?

Thanks

Ben
Thanks Rona,

I am not holding out much hope on this. Perhaps you could answer another question for me.

If my daughter take a gap year, would she be able to spend a few months overseas as a missionary?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Benorris1977,

Yes your daughter can take a Gap Year and go abroad, we would ask her to send evidence of this.

A letter from HEI confirming gap year

A letter from the employer on headed paper confirming temporary employment including dates

A contract from the employer that clearly shows the employment is of a temporary nature

A letter from HM armed services if applicable

Temporary visas or work permits

Thanks

Catherine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending