The Student Room Group

Can't get a hospital placement for medicine application.

Hi,
I've been committed to studying medicine for about a year and a half now, but I cannot for the life of me find any sort of shadowing placement at a hospital or GP.

It's gotten to the point where I've been asking teachers to ask their friends and I can still find absolutely nothing.

I've been emailing clinics, hospitals and GPs directly, and on the off-chance they reply, it's a rejection.

I have, however, been volunteering at a local care home for months now, and could easily reflect on a lot of experiences from there in my personal statement and interviews (if I get them) when I apply next October.

I was just wondering how essential hospital placements are. Everyone else seems to be getting them because they've got contacts, but I don't, and I feel like I don't stand a chance against the people who have gotten loads of different placements in an actual medical environment. Will the universities be understanding of that? Is there still a reasonable chance I'll get an offer based on my care work?

Thanks
Universities will always understand that it isn't possible for everyone to get work experience-you've shown commitment in other ways. Many people do apply without the clinical experience. As long as you show understanding of a doctors life in your personal statement its fine
Anyway, have you tried googling the NHS then your local authority and work experience-that tends to be the way you can get work experience in the hospital.
Also if you are scottish you can apply to medic insight which allows you to get clinical experience in a variety of areas. If you are based in glasgow, applications for this close on Sunday, if dundee then they open next monday and I don't know about edinburgh. I'd google around.
Reply 2
I'm based in the Leeds/Bradford area, if that would be any help.
Reply 3
Original post by AzureCeleste
Universities will always understand that it isn't possible for everyone to get work experience-you've shown commitment in other ways. Many people do apply without the clinical experience. As long as you show understanding of a doctors life in your personal statement its fine
Anyway, have you tried googling the NHS then your local authority and work experience-that tends to be the way you can get work experience in the hospital.
Also if you are scottish you can apply to medic insight which allows you to get clinical experience in a variety of areas. If you are based in glasgow, applications for this close on Sunday, if dundee then they open next monday and I don't know about edinburgh. I'd google around.

What sorts of things would I say to show this understanding of a doctor's life?

And I'm unfortunately not Scottish. I live in Bradford.
Reply 4
I have not actually tried Leeds Medical School yet, so I will definitely get on that. Thanks.
Original post by InspectorPadgett
I'm based in the Leeds/Bradford area, if that would be any help.

Have you tried Airedale? They do student placements.
You often find only one hospital is designated for this in an area. For example Blackpool covers LA postcodes (50 miles away!).
Airedale is closer - but was no go for me.
Hi,
I've been committed to studying medicine for about a year and a half now, but I cannot for the life of me find any sort of shadowing placement at a hospital or GP.

It's gotten to the point where I've been asking teachers to ask their friends and I can still find absolutely nothing.

I've been emailing clinics, hospitals and GPs directly, and on the off-chance they reply, it's a rejection.

I have, however, been volunteering at a local care home for months now, and could easily reflect on a lot of experiences from there in my personal statement and interviews (if I get them) when I apply next October.

I was just wondering how essential hospital placements are. Everyone else seems to be getting them because they've got contacts, but I don't, and I feel like I don't stand a chance against the people who have gotten loads of different placements in an actual medical environment. Will the universities be understanding of that? Is there still a reasonable chance I'll get an offer based on my care work?

Thanks

Have you tried considering volunteering/ shadowing for dentists or opticians? I know it’s not medicine but it is a clinical environment and there are a lot more dental surgeries than GP practices. At least it shows initiative when applying to med school that you chose thr next best thing for experience.
What sorts of things would I say to show this understanding of a doctor's life?

And I'm unfortunately not Scottish. I live in Bradford.

Well in the care home, if you've seen teamwork skills then you could talk about that and how you have them. Basically search up qualities of a doctor I'd say and try and link it to what've you learnt in the care home. You will have learnt empathy which is an important quality so you could talk about that

Quick Reply