The Student Room Group

Should i get help from student support?

This post is quite long but thank you so much if u do read it :smile:

This is the email I sent my student support anonymously:

(I had a intro about myself but it gives away where i study)

Ever since I met and approached this girl 8 months ago she has been in my mind. It's killing me mentally. It's weird as I am happy etc in college but when I get home it can effect me. But, the worst is going to sleep, it's like I have a nightmare most nights before I'm even actually asleep. We never really got to know each other and she thinks I'm a creep for understandable reasons (I'm not though...). She was never interested in me but I'm finding it impossible to get her out of my head. I have met and texted girls during the 8 months but it doesn't help. Even after summer I was no different, I still couldn't get her out of my mind. She has caused me to be depressed, have suicidal thoughts (rarely though). I even at one point would go to the college grass bit (where the greenhouse is) and punch my fists into the ground to help escape the pain whilst at college. I have now even started to ask myself what the point of life is, why should I live, when I'm just gonna be numb and useless. I don't know what to do, every piece of advice I get from people online is the exact same and useless. I am using an anonymous email address as I guess I'm scared of getting help in real life and letting you guys know who I am, you also may tell my parents who I don't want to worry. Please I just want these painful nights and even days to end, I'm begging you for advice that is different from the rest, something that can really help.

This is the email i got back:

Hello there and thank you for emailing student support.
It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and I would like to be able to try and offer you some support. Here in student support we offer a confidential service and therefore we do not report back to parents or teachers. The only time we would do this is if we felt you or others were in danger or harm.
It sounds like you have already tried to communicate with people online and have not found this helpful, therefore I would encourage you to make an appointment where we could perhaps explore some of your feelings.
If you still wish to remain anonymous then you could contact (anon) counselling on (phone number hidden) (N/A) and arrange to see them. They are not connected to the college and therefore you may feel are a ‘safer’ option for you.
Please contact me as I would like to arrange an appointment to see you.

This email seems fine but I'm scared that they are gonna think I or the person who has made me unstable mentally is in danger and therefore contact my parents. The only reason I want to do this is because I don't want them to make my parents or anyone else worry. I want to be 100% honest which will be extremely disturbing for them and will most likely make them contact someone else...

What should I do?
You should go to your student support and I am sure that they won’t tell your parents, things like this are normally very confidential. In the mean time you could download this app https://www.ipnos.com/apps/relax-melodies/ in the App Store. It may not do much at first but I have chronic anxiety and it normally helps me to sleep. I would advise you not to fall asleep to complete silence, because night time is when your brain is most active and can create nightmares. Maybe play YouTube videos in your room or listen to the app that I linked. Listening to something will take your mind away from your problems so that you can focus on something else. Also you are at collage which must be already quite stressful so that girl may not be the only root of your problems it also may be down to stress. Anxiety is a big spiral so I think that you should definitely get help from your student support (that is why they are there after all). Remember you are not alone!
Reply 2
Original post by Eleanor311
You should go to your student support and I am sure that they won’t tell your parents, things like this are normally very confidential. In the mean time you could download this app https://www.ipnos.com/apps/relax-melodies/ in the App Store. It may not do much at first but I have chronic anxiety and it normally helps me to sleep. I would advise you not to fall asleep to complete silence, because night time is when your brain is most active and can create nightmares. Maybe play YouTube videos in your room or listen to the app that I linked. Listening to something will take your mind away from your problems so that you can focus on something else. Also you are at collage which must be already quite stressful so that girl may not be the only root of your problems it also may be down to stress. Anxiety is a big spiral so I think that you should definitely get help from your student support (that is why they are there after all). Remember you are not alone!

Thanks for the app I will definitely check it out. I emailed my student support back telling them my student ID and full name. Hopefully they will be able to help me, I mean it's worth a try... I just really hope it's confidential enough so they don't tell my parents.
I am sure that if your main worry is that your parents find out then they will keep it confidential. Form what I have read it seems like nobody is in danger so they shouldn’t have to tell your parents.
Reply 4
Original post by Eleanor311
I am sure that if your main worry is that your parents find out then they will keep it confidential. Form what I have read it seems like nobody is in danger so they shouldn’t have to tell your parents.

Okay thanks for all ur help I really appreciate it. If it wasn't for u then I would of most likely never said yes to getting help 😊
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
This post is quite long but thank you so much if u do read it :smile:

This is the email I sent my student support anonymously:

(I had a intro about myself but it gives away where i study)

Ever since I met and approached this girl 8 months ago she has been in my mind. It's killing me mentally. It's weird as I am happy etc in college but when I get home it can effect me. But, the worst is going to sleep, it's like I have a nightmare most nights before I'm even actually asleep. We never really got to know each other and she thinks I'm a creep for understandable reasons (I'm not though...). She was never interested in me but I'm finding it impossible to get her out of my head. I have met and texted girls during the 8 months but it doesn't help. Even after summer I was no different, I still couldn't get her out of my mind. She has caused me to be depressed, have suicidal thoughts (rarely though). I even at one point would go to the college grass bit (where the greenhouse is) and punch my fists into the ground to help escape the pain whilst at college. I have now even started to ask myself what the point of life is, why should I live, when I'm just gonna be numb and useless. I don't know what to do, every piece of advice I get from people online is the exact same and useless. I am using an anonymous email address as I guess I'm scared of getting help in real life and letting you guys know who I am, you also may tell my parents who I don't want to worry. Please I just want these painful nights and even days to end, I'm begging you for advice that is different from the rest, something that can really help.

This is the email i got back:

Hello there and thank you for emailing student support.
It sounds like you are going through a difficult time and I would like to be able to try and offer you some support. Here in student support we offer a confidential service and therefore we do not report back to parents or teachers. The only time we would do this is if we felt you or others were in danger or harm.
It sounds like you have already tried to communicate with people online and have not found this helpful, therefore I would encourage you to make an appointment where we could perhaps explore some of your feelings.
If you still wish to remain anonymous then you could contact (anon) counselling on (phone number hidden) (N/A) and arrange to see them. They are not connected to the college and therefore you may feel are a ‘safer’ option for you.
Please contact me as I would like to arrange an appointment to see you.

This email seems fine but I'm scared that they are gonna think I or the person who has made me unstable mentally is in danger and therefore contact my parents. The only reason I want to do this is because I don't want them to make my parents or anyone else worry. I want to be 100% honest which will be extremely disturbing for them and will most likely make them contact someone else...

What should I do?

Hi. Sounds like you've already made a move, but I'll go ahead and reply anyway.

You could always ask student support about their confidentiality and if/ when they would talk to parents. As far as counseling goes they have to keep things confidential and can only break that if they believe you or somebody else is at serious risk. They should have you sign an agreement that explains that before you start talking about anything and you can always ask what sort of things would seriously worry them.

Good luck with everything. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Kindred
Hi. Sounds like you've already made a move, but I'll go ahead and reply anyway.

You could always ask student support about their confidentiality and if/ when they would talk to parents. As far as counseling goes they have to keep things confidential and can only break that if they believe you or somebody else is at serious risk. They should have you sign an agreement that explains that before you start talking about anything and you can always ask what sort of things would seriously worry them.

Good luck with everything. :smile:

Hmm okay, do u reckon I will end up having an appointment with them once a week or something. Ngl, I really hope they make my appointment just after or before a class. Also thanks for wishing me good luck, I really need it haha
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hmm okay, do u reckon I will end up having an appointment with them once a week or something. Ngl, I really hope they make my appointment just after or before a class. Also thanks for wishing me good luck, I really need it haha

Depends on what you want and what they can do. You should be able to sort something out around your classes. Sounds like they'll be used to dealing with students.
Reply 8
Original post by Kindred
Depends on what you want and what they can do. You should be able to sort something out around your classes. Sounds like they'll be used to dealing with students.

Yeah they will be definitely. I guess we will just have to wait and see. It helped in highschool when I had a mentor so this should help just as much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending