The Student Room Group

How is the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WiSi
You are right...https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-where-to-be-born-index-the-highest-and-lowest-scoring-countries.html.
This is weird, you are right.

Anyway, I think that this "where to be born" do not represent the reality of the job opportunities because consider also the expectation of life, that in Italy is very high, maybe the highest of the world, and balance the low job opportunities and low salaries.

There is also the fact that this raking was made in 2013, 5 years ago.

Hence, why you move to London. For employment opportunities because moving to some random 500k city in the UK for "quality of life" makes zero sense. If you want employment opportunities, go to London. If you want "quality of life", stay at home or move to Norway or Australia.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Pantsu
So far everyone in this thread is only talking about England as though that's all the UK is. Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland all have a lot going for them and the culture is different in each nation too. If you decide to move to the UK you have a lot of different options and you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you only considered London. Your best bet is to embrace flexibility so you can go where the work is, even if it's in a place you wouldn't have considered.

The faster you understand that nobody on the outside cares about Swansea or Dundee the better. The UK fails to score highly in international rankings like "where-to-be-born", quality of life, happiness and gender equality and there is a multitude of European countries that surpass you. Hence moving to the UK for quality of life or "culture" (lmao) makes zero sense unless you're from a third world country. You come here to work. And you find work in London.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Germany is a better economy because you take home more money, UK living costs are quite high where the good jobs are. You can in Germany go one or two towns further and find rent capped accomodation..Thats the big issue in the UK is rent prices, and if due to brexit food prices increade you have a real issue, inflation is 3.2% currently... thats alot, germany is like 1.2% and food prices and rent costs are maintained low by the government.

Do you have a degree? what do u plan on working in?

I do know how much does a house cost in the Germany, but I bet that are less expensive then London.
London is expensive also because it is named London.

But if you know this problems, why are you living in the UK?

I have a friend, she is studying engineering here in Italy and learning german language.

When I had to apply for high school, 6 years ago, I had the opportunity to choose german as a language, instead of some hours of math, but the situation was different from today..so I guess I made a bad choice.

I actually don't have a degree, if I had it I probably had already tried to live in the UK for at least a year and understand how things work.

I'm considering now learning Germany from 0, but honest to be, I'm afraid of german culture, people that when there told me that they fell a lack of human emotions.
Maybe german have a different way to see life, I don't know.
Reply 43
Original post by angelinahx
The better you understand that nobody on the outside cares about Swansea or Dundee the better. The UK fails to score high in international rankings like "where-to-be-born", quality of life, happiness and gender equality and there is a multitude of European countries that surpass you. Hence moving to the UK for quality of life or "culture" (lmao) makes zero sense unless you're from a third world country. You come here to work. And you find work in London.

I'm really surprised by your words.
I appreciate honest people, I know who can be able to tell lies about his own country just because he born there.

Gender equality is a problem also here in Italy.
Females, unfortunately, have lower salary..this is so sad, you know why?
Because they will need to stay home and take care of a child, doing it 24/24 7/7, and companies do not care about this, but about making money.

Anyway, I didn't expected the so low quality of life in the UK, can be related to the low expectation of life and because of the weather?
Original post by WiSi
I do know how much does a house cost in the Germany, but I bet that are less expensive then London.
London is expensive also because it is named London.

But if you know this problems, why are you living in the UK?

I have a friend, she is studying engineering here in Italy and learning german language.

When I had to apply for high school, 6 years ago, I had the opportunity to choose german as a language, instead of some hours of math, but the situation was different from today..so I guess I made a bad choice.

I actually don't have a degree, if I had it I probably had already tried to live in the UK for at least a year and understand how things work.

I'm considering now learning Germany from 0, but honest to be, I'm afraid of german culture, people that when there told me that they fell a lack of human emotions.
Maybe german have a different way to see life, I don't know.

Im also american so i grew up there and prefer doing my education in english. So the uk works well for doing my degree, i study international management at the University of Nottingham.

Without a degree you wont have a great life here, you will just have to do odd jobs. Without A level qualifications you wont even get an apprenticeship.. My advice get a degree or learn a trade. Before moving.
Reply 45
Im also american so i grew up there and prefer doing my education in english. So the uk works well for doing my degree, i study international management at the University of Nottingham.

Without a degree you wont have a great life here, you will just have to do odd jobs. Without A level qualifications you wont even get an apprenticeship.. My advice get a degree or learn a trade. Before moving.

This is obvious, my intend is getting a bachelor's and a master degree, and then more to the UK or other countries.

When I will take the degree, the Brexit will be definitive.

Anyway, what do you think of german universities ?
I know most of them are free?

Is is possible to survive in German with english ?

What would you choose between USA and Germany ?
Original post by WiSi
I'm really surprised by your words.
I appreciate honest people, I know who can be able to tell lies about his own country just because he born there.

Gender equality is a problem also here in Italy.
Females, unfortunately, have lower salary..this is so sad, you know why?
Because they will need to stay home and take care of a child, doing it 24/24 7/7, and companies do not care about this, but about making money.

Anyway, I didn't expected the so low quality of life in the UK, can be related to the low expectation of life and because of the weather?

Their healthcare system is bad, obesity rates are skyrocketing because of the constant access to junk food and it scores about 20th for gender equality and 48th for parliamentary (as in how many women vs women in political positions) in the world. Spain ranks better in quality of life than the UK. It’s also not easy if you’re poor, there’s a massive gap between state and private schools and a family friend from London pays €930 for childcare per month. My Swedish mother was completely appalled. That’s probably why quality of life is lower than other European countries. And yes, women make less money than men for equal work. lA female friend of mine in a male-dominated profession was actually fired for no real reason despite performing excellent work.

By all means, come here if you want to progress in your career and make good money. That is why most people come here in the first place. But do not move to Sheffield or Leeds or Exeter or Guildford or some other irrelevant UK city because there is no point. They have **** employment prospects and the quality of life is lower than most other European countries. If you are below 30 and looking for excellent quality of life, Australia and Canada have working holiday VISAS for Italian citizens. Move there or to another EU country if you want excellent benefits, healthcare and social services and excellent gender equality. Move to London and London only if you want to make money. But for the love of God, don’t randomly move to some city with 200,000 people where you’ll make £6.5 hourly as a shop assistant. Especially if you don't have excellent qualifications. Move to London and do an apprenticeship and then start making good money or choose another country.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 47
Their healthcare system is bad, obesity rates are skyrocketing because of the constant access to junk food and it scores about 20th for gender equality and 48th for parliamentary (as in how many women vs women in political positions) in the world. Spain ranks better in quality of life than the UK. It’s also not easy if you’re poor, there’s a massive gap between state and private schools and a family friend from London pays €930 for childcare per month. My Swedish mother was completely appalled. That’s probably why quality of life is lower than other European countries. And yes, women make less money than men for equal work. lA female friend of mine in a male-dominated profession was actually fired for no real reason despite performing excellent work.

By all means, come here if you want to progress in your career and make good money. That is why most people come here in the first place. But do not move to Sheffield or Leeds or Exeter or Guildford or some other irrelevant UK city because there is no point. They have **** employment prospects and the quality of life is lower than most other European countries. If you are below 30 and looking for excellent quality of life, Australia and Canada have working holiday VISAS for Italian citizens. Move there or to another EU country if you want excellent benefits, healthcare and social services and excellent gender equality. Move to London and London only if you want to make money. But for the love of God, don’t randomly move to some city with 200,000 people where you’ll make £6.5 hourly as a shop assistant. Especially if you don't have excellent qualifications. Move to London and do an apprenticeship and then start making good money or choose another country.

angelinahx, I really appreciate your help.
I think that money is not the most important thing is life, even if the system make them to be.
So I won't move to another place just for money, it depends how much more money I will have to earn.
My impression of UK, is that there is a huge different between rich and poor people, but this is true also in the US.

Anyway, 930 euros per month for what?
Just insurance ?
I'm started to think that gender equality in work exist no where.....

Those UK's cities you nominated to me looks very clean, and modern, they do not look bad, I don't know why you say that are so bad.

Australia is very far, why it should be better then UK?
Was founded by UK, was an old colony.

"But for the love of God, don’t randomly move to some city with 200,000 people where you’ll make £6.5 hourly as a shop assistant."
This is the reality of the city where I live, 100.000 people and if you work in the restaurant you are paid 7 euros per hour.

Before moving I intend to get a bachelor and a master degree.

I think that there are no country that give you a good job without a preparation.

20 years ago Italy was 4th in the where to born index...today is 26 in the index...and the economy is worst then the Greek's one.
development....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Development_Index
Here UK is in the 16th position.
Original post by WiSi
This is obvious, my intend is getting a bachelor's and a master degree, and then more to the UK or other countries.

When I will take the degree, the Brexit will be definitive.

Anyway, what do you think of german universities ?
I know most of them are free?

Is is possible to survive in German with english ?

What would you choose between USA and Germany ?

I own property in Germany, so i prefer Germany plus education is far cheaper in the UK, and i will get my masters in the netherlands. For you to have your student loan guaranteed for the uk, you would need to start your degree now (this year). Because without a student loan it costs 9,250 a year. Which isnt cheap and you would have to pay. Your best off doing your education in the EU, italy, Germany, wherever you will come out much cheaper. You can move to the UK later. I wouldnt advise it now unless your financially stable. I make money from being a landlord, otherwise honestly you cant survive here. You need at least £1,200 a month to live in the UK, closer to £2,200 for London. Being a poor student is no fun here its not designed for that. Which is why im doing my second year at Nottingham Malaysia campus. Same uni lower living costs. UK is expensive.
Reply 49
I own property in Germany, so i prefer Germany plus education is far cheaper in the UK, and i will get my masters in the netherlands. For you to have your student loan guaranteed for the uk, you would need to start your degree now (this year). Because without a student loan it costs 9,250 a year. Which isnt cheap and you would have to pay. Your best off doing your education in the EU, italy, Germany, wherever you will come out much cheaper. You can move to the UK later. I wouldnt advise it now unless your financially stable. I make money from being a landlord, otherwise honestly you cant survive here. You need at least £1,200 a month to live in the UK, closer to £2,200 for London. Being a poor student is no fun here its not designed for that. Which is why im doing my second year at Nottingham Malaysia campus. Same uni lower living costs. UK is expensive.

So why do you prefer education in english?

Anyway, there aren't scholarship for people with high notes ?

There are interesting courses in Germany taught in english ?
Here in Italy for living alone I need 1200 euros, and I'm not talking about a poor area of Italy, neither about the most expensive.

P.S. In Italy university is free only for people with very low income, but you have to pay the rent, for middle class, tuition fees are about 1500 euros.
Original post by WiSi

Here in Italy for living alone I need 1200 euros, and I'm not talking about a poor area of Italy, neither about the most expensive.

P.S. In Italy university is free only for people with very low income, but you have to pay the rent, for middle class, tuition fees are about 1500 euros.

£1200 in the UK is scraping by. It’s do-able but it’ll be tight. In london you probably need X3 that much, living alone. It won’t be cheaper living here, but maybe you can get a higher paying job. (Again, depending on the field, your education and work experience)
Reply 51
Original post by cat_mac
£1200 in the UK is scraping by. It’s do-able but it’ll be tight. In london you probably need X3 that much, living alone. It won’t be cheaper living here, but maybe you can get a higher paying job. (Again, depending on the field, your education and work experience)

What is the median salary for an engineer or a physician ?
Original post by WiSi

I went to highschool in the US... so english is truly my first language as far as academics go.

I mean its all up to you, but with brexit and all your better of staying in europe.

learning a trade also isnt a bad idea, not everyone needs to go to university...

in Germany only 25 percent have a degree...
the others do well paid apprenticeships and learn key skills.
Reply 53
I went to highschool in the US... so english is truly my first language as far as academics go.

I mean its all up to you, but with brexit and all your better of staying in europe.

learning a trade also isnt a bad idea, not everyone needs to go to university...

in Germany only 25 percent have a degree...
the others do well paid apprenticeships and learn key skills.

Where I live plumbers are payed better then 50% of the people with a degree.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jbrdodd
Its harder in areas such as London due to high rent prices, so youll be working hard for little return for yourself due to bills (such as rent, tax, etc) but if you lived somewhere such as Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, etc; you’d be working hard for things in return with lots of opportunities.

Sheffield and opportunities in the same sentence?

Do you live in a parallel universe?

Because I have lived in London for seven months and I have visited other British cities, such as Portsmouth, Brighton, Exeter, Torquay and Cambridge. They're uninteresting and plain.

"I visited two university cities, a tourist town for old folk, an overhyped half retirement city half university town and a decent-but-boring port city. On this basis, I feel I have a full understanding of life outside of London due to my weekend (or less) visits to places I find boring to my interests."

Shops close at 6PM

Where the **** have you been?

A postcard shop in Torquay?

and there is little employment prospects (this is especially if true if you're not in London, Birmingham, Manchester or Leeds).

Employment prospects are very good in Edinburgh, Bristol, Reading, Southampton and Nottingham. Norwich arguably too.
One of the reasons UK banking is so succcesful is because it can operate in that big population ie europe if it loses access to 500+ million people and there are banking tariffs that wont be easy.

Canada has a bigger banking sector than Germany and France put together and their only access is to themselves. Australia has a bigger banking sector than Germany as well.

Also im German, lets be honest if you spoke German you would wanna go there far stronger economy alot less uncertainty.

You have less uncertainty yes.

You also have lower earnings and far lower chances of ever owning your own home, or just about any wealth to pass to your own kids.

The median wealth of a German family is half of an Italian one. It is absurdly low and it is just an inch above Slovenia. Most Germans don't own a home and never will. There's also a very hard time in finding credit, and Germans rely on savings to fund their purchases. It 's why very rare in Britain to find a car 10 years and older, whereas in Germany that's the standard.

according to Credit Suisse Wealth Datebook 2017: http://publications.credit-suisse.com/tasks/render/file/index.cfm?fileid=A8BD95FB-A213-1EE7-59CC7F2F001A11AF

Median Wealth per adult
1) Switzerland - $229,059
2) Australia - $195,417
3) Belgium - $161,589
7) United Kingdom - $102,641
12) Spain - $63,369
13) United States - $55,876
14) Germany - $47,091
15) Sweden - $45,235

There are advantages and disadvantages to every developed country. Earning potential and wealth are not one of the advantages for Germany, and certainly not over the UK. Quality of life is probably better, as are prices, but not earnings.

One would only emigrate to Germany if they want to become German and live there for the rest of their life. It is certainly not the location for a quick buck before you return to Italy.

So i mean tbh its not in the best of positions on brexit, the british people realize this. Picking a fight as one nation vs 27 is always difficult.

That's an oversimplification. Different countries have different needs and wants from Brexit. To imply that the EU is united in its position to the UK is absurd.
Poland would be more than happy to see the UK go without monetary contribution and single market, but want them in the freedom of movement area.
Germany doesn't mind the UK leaving the freedom of movement area, but wants them to continue to contribute to the EU budget and stay in the single market as its crucial to the survival of many German export businesses.

The us strength of currency is not comparable, america produces its own food and is its own massive economy the UK provides alot of services to mainland europe and imports.. Also cant print money at will and dictate monetary policy is far more dependent on other nations.

First of all GBP/USD is today in the same position as before the referendum. It has climbed back up over the last year. So this is a redundant conversation.

Hypothetically in terms of food, the UK could strike those very free trade agreements it claims it wants with countries who are net exporters. Ukraine of course being the closest and cheapest fertile basket case, and in desperate need of any income.

The main reason the pound is strong though is because people make alot less money in the uk then in germany for example.

First of all that's ******** - Brits have a higher income than Germans.
Second of all that's economically incoherent. Lower incomes do not spur an appreciation in the currency strength. That's nonsensical. If anything, it's the opposite.
(edited 6 years ago)
As for the OP, if you are indeed looking for a 'quick buck' so to speak before returning to Italy, explore Estonia, Poland and Israel. They all have developed and highly paid IT sectors at Western European salaries but you're paying developing world prices.

For example, a quick google search found Accenture offering 60 000 EUR for an IT Manager wage in Estonia, in a country where you could comfortably get by on ±10000 euros a year. For context, that's about 52k GBP even though that position maintains an average of circa 40k in the UK.

Poland has a lot of support functions especially for PwC, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan in IT, with averages of around $75 000 USD where you could comfortably get by on around ±7500 USD. https://www.emolument.com/salary-reports/locations/poland/7292

No idea if you're actually seeking to do IT I just skimmed and saw it somewhere, apologies if incorrect.
Original post by LostAccount
Canada has a bigger banking sector than Germany and France put together and their only access is to themselves. Australia has a bigger banking sector than Germany as well.

You have less uncertainty yes.

You also have lower earnings and far lower chances of ever owning your own home, or just about any wealth to pass to your own kids.

The median wealth of a German family is half of an Italian one. It is absurdly low and it is just an inch above Slovenia. Most Germans don't own a home and never will. There's also a very hard time in finding credit, and Germans rely on savings to fund their purchases. It 's why very rare in Britain to find a car 10 years and older, whereas in Germany that's the standard.

according to Credit Suisse Wealth Datebook 2017: http://publications.credit-suisse.com/tasks/render/file/index.cfm?fileid=A8BD95FB-A213-1EE7-59CC7F2F001A11AF

Median Wealth per adult
1) Switzerland - $229,059
2) Australia - $195,417
3) Belgium - $161,589
7) United Kingdom - $102,641
12) Spain - $63,369
13) United States - $55,876
14) Germany - $47,091
15) Sweden - $45,235

There are advantages and disadvantages to every developed country. Earning potential and wealth are not one of the advantages for Germany, and certainly not over the UK. Quality of life is probably better, as are prices, but not earnings.

One would only emigrate to Germany if they want to become German and live there for the rest of their life. It is certainly not the location for a quick buck before you return to Italy.

That's an oversimplification. Different countries have different needs and wants from Brexit. To imply that the EU is united in its position to the UK is absurd.
Poland would be more than happy to see the UK go without monetary contribution and single market, but want them in the freedom of movement area.
Germany doesn't mind the UK leaving the freedom of movement area, but wants them to continue to contribute to the EU budget and stay in the single market as its crucial to the survival of many German export businesses.

First of all GBP/USD is today in the same position as before the referendum. It has climbed back up over the last year. So this is a redundant conversation.

Hypothetically in terms of food, the UK could strike those very free trade agreements it claims it wants with countries who are net exporters. Ukraine of course being the closest and cheapest fertile basket case, and in desperate need of any income.

First of all that's ******** - Brits have a higher income than Germans.
Second of all that's economically incoherent. Lower incomes do not spur an appreciation in the currency strength. That's nonsensical. If anything, it's the opposite.

Financing also comes easier in the UK lets not forget that, mind you im 26 own my own 10 flat building... and 6 garages and come from a decent middle class germany family.

This homeownership obsession is silly, most people in the UK just as in the US own their home but it isnt by any means paid off.

Then they take that as an asset when technically its a liability, a mortage should not determine your networth. A paid off house like mine which brings in rent maybe.

Sure some of those Londoners are mightly rich, but thats concentrated at the top not all over,

OP wont be living that life regardless, this was meant to give him a pragmatic view of his opportunities, he will face far more challenges in the UK with his limited resources....

I wanted to retain him the EU for his own benefit rather then expose him to your working class identity crisis that caused Brexit. If things were so rosy in the UK for the common man their wouldnt have been a Brexit.

The German economy is far stronger then the UK and you know it. Those cars you drive primarily german and financed.

Every been to Munich???? Koln??? the Ruhr metropolitan area, Germany is rich powerful, PRODUCES and doesnt just consume.. Some areas are weaker such as eastern germany (reunification struggles after years of communist brainwash). Other then that its very rich.

Other then the inflated earnings in London and the south the north is mighty poor.

Australia is also the only capitalist economy in the developing hotbed of asia, thats an easy meal, with developed economy knowledge to dominate the region in banking.

London wont be banking in Europe soon and that might become an issue, you may move to australia in search of work lol.
You implied there were. There is literally no reason moving to the UK if you're going to move to Sheffield or Leeds lmao

We get it, you hate everywhere that isn't London despite never even having lived anywhere else. Can you stop now? You're really up your own ass and it's getting boring.
Original post by howitoughttobe
We get it, you hate everywhere that isn't London despite never even having lived anywhere else. Can you stop now? You're really up your own ass and it's getting boring.

I have spent extensive time in Manchester and I've visited Birmingham, Exeter, York, Brighton, Portsmouth, Bristol and Cambridge. These cities were so boring (except maybe Manchester and Bristol, which still can be explored in a weekend) that I wanted to immediately leave and go back to London.
The employment prospects in Portsmouth aren't equal to the ones in London hence why it's rated as one of the top places to be a student and why people from all over the world want to come and live here.

Quick Reply

Latest