The Student Room Group

Do you find it better being over 18?

I find myself worrying about turning 18 this year, does anyone actually enjoy it better? I’m scared because I don’t think I’m ready to be independent.

Scroll to see replies

no its not scary at all, but it also doesnt instantly make you an adult. Just dont commit a crime... other then that until 25...or so your a kid, hell im 27 and most people adress me as youngster lol.
Reply 2
Having to pay for things like car insurance, rent ect sucks but I can also eat ice cream for breakfast and no one will stop me. So I guess you could say it is great.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I find myself worrying about turning 18 this year, does anyone actually enjoy it better? I’m scared because I don’t think I’m ready to be independent.

It depends what you mean by 'independent'. Many 18 year olds and older are still living at home these days because of the housing crisis. You shouldn't be worrying about turning 18. Try to think of it as a milestone for yourself and plan the things you might do after you are 18. You will be just fine.X
I'm coming up 26 and would say being an adult is definitely better. The freedom is worth the responsibility that comes with it. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Realitysreflexx
no its not scary at all, but it also doesnt instantly make you an adult. Just dont commit a crime... other then that until 25...or so your a kid, hell im 27 and most people adress me as youngster lol.

Original post by 8472
Having to pay for things like car insurance, rent ect suck but I can also eat ice cream for breakfast and no one will stop me. So I guess you could say it is great.

Thank you, I kinda needed to hear this! I’m just not used to change and people on the internet make it out like it’s the worst thing imaginable.
And I'm nearly 70 and have more freedom than I know what to do with. I had none when I was 18.
Reply 7
Original post by Seamus123
It depends what you mean by 'independent'. Many 18 year olds and older are still living at home these days because of the housing crisis. You shouldn't be worrying about turning 18. Try to think of it as a milestone for yourself and plan the things you might do after you are 18. You will be just fine.X

Original post by sinfonietta
I'm coming up 26 and would say being an adult is definitely better. The freedom is worth the responsibility that comes with it. :smile:

Thanks a lot, I guess it’s just the quickness of it for me :smile:
Reply 8
You won’t automatically be thrown into the deep end once you hit 18 at midnight. Life will definitely become harder once you have to start providing for yourself.
Reply 9
It’s literally no different except u can buy alcohol and go out instead of having house parties lol. I actually kinda miss house parties.
The independence bit can be good but being a child without responsibilities was better.
Life got substantially better at 18 for me. Left home for university, never went back for more than a few nights because I began to felt suffocated by the lack of independence. Not everybody reacts to it the same way, but by no means do I miss my pre-18 days.
Reply 12
I miss being a under 18 in the fact I screwed up my education and now I can't afford to get back into it. But apart from that, it's not so bad - I would never move back home. Even though my parents were pretty chilled I like knowing I have nobody to answer to - I can sit in my PJs all day without a lecture, get blind drunk and go home at 3am, eat when I want what I want. I think the pros outweigh the cons but I do miss a lot of having no responsibilities
Thanks everyone, I do suppose it is different for everyone. I’m just glad everybody doesn’t instantly hate their life as I heard about on the internet. :wink:
Let me ask you this, do you feel comfortable and safe being below 18? As a matter of fact, you are confronted with different problems in different ages, so instead of concentrating on whether you have become independent, concentrate on finding ways to tackle your problems. Sometimes with a problem solved, you grow up and get independent overnight, without yourself even noticing it.
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks everyone, I do suppose it is different for everyone. I’m just glad everybody doesn’t instantly hate their life as I heard about on the internet. :wink:

To be honest my life changed very little from going from 17 to 18 - I had pretty chilled parents and was allowed to do what I liked as long as I let them know if I was staying out etc. I was already allowed to drink alcohol and go wherever I liked. The only difference to me was I smoked from 16 and thought my parents didn't know, they outed me after my 18th and then said they couldn't stop me and it was my decision so I could smoke in front of them. But apart from that, zilch.
(edited 6 years ago)
I only turned 18 about a week ago so I don't have much experience with it haha. But honestly I was scared to turn 18 and thought it would feel really different but it doesn't. I don't think you'll notice that you're even an adult until you move out, I keep forgetting that I'm an adult now
Original post by JayonWead
Let me ask you this, do you feel comfortable and safe being below 18? As a matter of fact, you are confronted with different problems in different ages, so instead of concentrating on whether you have become independent, concentrate on finding ways to tackle your problems. Sometimes with a problem solved, you grow up and get independent overnight, without yourself even noticing it.

Yes I suppose that’s true, personally high school was very hard for me so I was hoping i don’t feel as bad as that. I enjoy college at the moment!
Original post by Tw1x
To be honest my life changed very little from going from 17 to 18 - I had pretty chilled parents and was allowed to do what I liked as long as I let them know if I was staying out etc. I was already allowed to drink alcohol and go wherever I liked. The only difference to me was I smoked from 16 and thought my parents didn't know, they outed me after my 18th and then said they couldn't stop me and it was my decision so I could smoke in front of them. But apart from that, zilch.

Original post by IfYouCanDreamIt
I only turned 18 about a week ago so I don't have much experience with it haha. But honestly I was scared to turn 18 and thought it would feel really different but it doesn't. I don't think you'll notice that you're even an adult until you move out, I keep forgetting that I'm an adult now

This is quite true as I cannot move out for years in advance, I guess it’s the stuff the teacher said in progress during college that stressed me out a little!
hell freaken yes...
its a hole lot better beeing 18 because your able to do other things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending