The Student Room Group

Braces... a few of my questions?

Hey,

so today I went to the dentist and they told me that i'm going to need braces and they told me to wait for a letter from the Orthodontist.
At first I was really worried about going back to school with braces and how badly i'd get bullied. Then I wasn't sure what to think.
My questions are:
How long did you have to wear your braces?
What was it like having braces while being at school?
Was it a lot of effort wearing them?
Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by queenmeelzx
Hey,

so today I went to the dentist and they told me that i'm going to need braces and they told me to wait for a letter from the Orthodontist.
At first I was really worried about going back to school with braces and how badly i'd get bullied. Then I wasn't sure what to think.
My questions are:
Thanks,

I had headgear then braces back in year 8.
(Fortunately head gear was only at night!)
I had my braces for eight months and tbh after the first few days no one really cares about you having them. Most people in my year have had braces at some point so no one was rude about them.
I wouldn’t say they’re much effort, they hurt a bit at first and require you to properly brush your teeth but it’s kinda just basic hygiene stuff:h:
Had them for about 16 months, no issue at school and only effort really was when they hurt when the wires were changed/had to use the stupid little brush to get into small spaces to brush properly/when I had to have elastic bands. I think more people than not have braces at some point during school and getting them earlier is certainly better than later.
Hey,

My questions are:
Thanks,

I am still wearing mine, but I think it will be just over a year.

Fine. Loads of people have them. People dont make fun of them or anything. More of my friends have braces than dont. Some of the more popular people have them, and no one really says anything about them. TBH only a few people will say something about them when you first get them. They will just be like "Wait when did you get braces??"

Not really. You just can't have things the coke etc and you can't bite into hard things e.g. apples, but you can cut them up. Might take an extra minute or so to brush your teeth if you dont brush them well at the moment (as in you spend less than a minute or so. With braces you should use mouthwash as well, which will make brushing your teeth take longer if you dont already).
Reply 4
They told me they were gonna be on for a year and a half, but it ended up lasting up until Year 11 (had them put on in Year 7). The reason I had them on for so long is I had to wear elastics for my overbite, and I could never be bothered. It's not effort wearing them, you just need to brush longer and maybe do some extra stuff, like elastics. Everyone was excited about them for the first couple days then that's it... nobody cares if you wear braces. And it's worth it when you get them off :wink:
Original post by Toastiekid
I had headgear then braces back in year 8.
(Fortunately head gear was only at night!)
I had my braces for eight months and tbh after the first few days no one really cares about you having them. Most people in my year have had braces at some point so no one was rude about them.
I wouldn’t say they’re much effort, they hurt a bit at first and require you to properly brush your teeth but it’s kinda just basic hygiene stuff:h:

Original post by Paralove
Had them for about 16 months, no issue at school and only effort really was when they hurt when the wires were changed/had to use the stupid little brush to get into small spaces to brush properly/when I had to have elastic bands. I think more people than not have braces at some point during school and getting them earlier is certainly better than later.

Original post by Bill Nye
I am still wearing mine, but I think it will be just over a year.

Fine. Loads of people have them. People dont make fun of them or anything. More of my friends have braces than dont. Some of the more popular people have them, and no one really says anything about them. TBH only a few people will say something about them when you first get them. They will just be like "Wait when did you get braces??"

Not really. You just can't have things the coke etc and you can't bite into hard things e.g. apples, but you can cut them up. Might take an extra minute or so to brush your teeth if you dont brush them well at the moment (as in you spend less than a minute or so. With braces you should use mouthwash as well, which will make brushing your teeth take longer if you dont already).

Did you get them invisible? What do you think about invisible braces?
I had braces when I was 14 and just before my sweet sixteenth, I got them off. It wasn't that bad at school because literally everyone was wearing them. YES IT WAS A LOT OF EFFORT. I had to eat baby food during the first few weeks but you'll get used to them. It can be torture, I had to wear these elastics and I'm pretty sure I have swallowed some lol. Trust me, it's so worth it! I can't stop smiling now :wink:
Did you get them invisible? What do you think about invisible braces?

I just got normal braces. The NHS only offers the normal braces, otherwise you have to pay a lot of money (thousands).
Original post by zahlicious
I had braces when I was 14 and just before my sweet sixteenth, I got them off. It wasn't that bad at school because literally everyone was wearing them. YES IT WAS A LOT OF EFFORT. I had to eat baby food during the first few weeks but you'll get used to them. It can be torture, I had to wear these elastics and I'm pretty sure I have swallowed some lol. Trust me, it's so worth it! I can't stop smiling now :wink:

That's good, I am sort of conscious about my smile tbh so I guess it's a pro! What do you think about invisible braces? Is it worth it?
My friend has invisible ones (like the wire etc is see through) but the idea of eating something like curry with them in disturbs me deeply:biggrin:
I quite liked changing the colour of my bands too:wink:
I now have an invisible retainer thingy (like Invisalign) which is good (though tastes manky and id rather have a fixed retainer)
I just got normal braces. The NHS only offers the normal braces, otherwise you have to pay a lot of money (thousands).

WTF! REALLY?! I don't understand why?
1- I had to wear twin block braces (kind of like retainers) for a while before I got regular braces, so in total about 3 1/2 years ?
2- the twin block braces at school were kind of uncomfortable because I couldn’t talk very well in them, but I got used to them after a while. Nobody cared, though.
The normal braces were literally no bother whatsoever at school. So many people get braces now, there’s absolutely no reason anybody would make fun of you for them.
3- regular braces took no effort, sure you have to be careful with brushing and maybe avoid super hard foods, but they’re fine. Twin block braces were a bit of a nightmare cause I had to eat in them and it wasn’t enjoyable- but, like I said, I got used to them.

Btw you’ll need twin block braces if you have a severe overbite, otherwise you won’t and you’ll just have elastic bands to fix a slight overbite.

Good luck and don’t worry!
Got my braces off yesterday and it was all worth it :-D
Reply 12
Only problem with braces is they kill everytime they change wires and sometimes have to get them trimmed as they scratch my cheek. I need to have em for 2 years :frown:

Oh wait... smh
https://www.orthodonticexcellence.co.uk/finance/
Original post by aceplayyt
Only problem with braces is they kill everytime they change wires and sometimes have to get them trimmed as they scratch my cheek. I need to have em for 2 years :frown:

How often do they change wires?!!?!?!?!?!
That's good, I am sort of conscious about my smile tbh so I guess it's a pro! What do you think about invisible braces? Is it worth it?

I've never heard of invisible braces, I think you're referring to the ceramics? Apparently those break easily haha I wore the metal ones which is more effective.
Original post by gomgossa
1- I had to wear twin block braces (kind of like retainers) for a while before I got regular braces, so in total about 3 1/2 years ?
2- the twin block braces at school were kind of uncomfortable because I couldn’t talk very well in them, but I got used to them after a while. Nobody cared, though.
The normal braces were literally no bother whatsoever at school. So many people get braces now, there’s absolutely no reason anybody would make fun of you for them.
3- regular braces took no effort, sure you have to be careful with brushing and maybe avoid super hard foods, but they’re fine. Twin block braces were a bit of a nightmare cause I had to eat in them and it wasn’t enjoyable- but, like I said, I got used to them.

Btw you’ll need twin block braces if you have a severe overbite, otherwise you won’t and you’ll just have elastic bands to fix a slight overbite.

Good luck and don’t worry!
Got my braces off yesterday and it was all worth it :-D

When, they first put your braces in, did it hurt?
Original post by zahlicious
I've never heard of invisible braces, I think you're referring to the ceramics? Apparently those break easily haha I wore the metal ones which is more effective.

The clear ones basically? Do you know anyone that had them in your school?

Every few months.

My wires have never scratched my cheeks, but if they do they give you wax to put on the wire to stop it.

Mine hurt when I bit into anything, or if my teeth touched something. It was only for 3/4 days though and I just took paracetamol.
Reply 19

For me every 2-3 months. It hurts for the rest of the day but not too much that you can't eat. When you first get them, the initial thing won't hurt- it only hurts for the first week (especially second day) but then after a while you don't even realize they are there.

Quick Reply

Latest