The Student Room Group

Car Insurance !!

Hello, I’ve made such a stupid mistake which has actually cost my car insurance to be cancelled 😭 I’ll try keep it brief...so I passed when I was 17 (4 months ago) and got a car however insurances were sky high. I wasn’t really sure on the best places to look for car insurance and needed a little help if I’m honest but my parents would always put it off. After a solid 2 months of looking, they were all still £4-5 thousand which is ridiculous !! I asked around (family and friends) if anyone knew of any good websites or insurance companies and a friend of mine said to look at “insurance brokers” online as they somehow get the best prices. My friend had used them and convinced me to at least look. As I was sooo desperate, I started retrieving quotes from Instagram brokers and everywhere and they all said they were 100% legitimate and said they could provide proof...so i decided to follow through with one of the quotes. I stalked his profile and saw he had already given so many people insurance’s and quotes and they all seemed so satisfied. countless times I reassured him of my details and told him I don’t want trouble with the insurance...He didn’t even give me a really cheap quote which made me doubt (around £2 grand) him and also it was with a legit company (direct line) so I went through with the payment and he even said through the messages that if anything (even though it won’t) goes wrong come back to me...so as naive as I was I went through with it...
Now a month later, I got a letter sent home saying they have cancelled my insurance as he lied about some of the details of the second driver (not me)...I went back to message him and saw he has deleted his page !!
I know I made a stupid mistake but I wasn’t aware he changed my details or anything like that...I just thought he maybe worked for the company or something and therefore was doing this on the side as we also payed him directly £250 or something...
I’m just so stuck on what to do now because so much money has been wasted and I can’t even get hold of the bloody guy...
Do you think I should phone direct line and explain the situation and how I didn’t know the details were false ??

Ps: I don’t need anyone replying telling me how stupid I was to trust him/her...I’m only 18 & honestly I was desperate and we all make mistakes...I just hope this one hasn’t cost me my insurance because I honestly can’t afford another one!

Scroll to see replies

If the policy has been cancelled call the company and explain the circumstances surrounding it and if the policy has been cancelled ask where the money for the policy is has it been paid back ect ect and I would also contact your local police station as unfortunately this type of scam is far from uncommon.

and you say you don't need people sayng how stupid you have been well I'm not as I think you will get that from your parents and don't make it worse by not telling them.

And finally the most important thing I will tell you is do not make your situation worse and drive your car you will deserve what punishment you get and some money lost will be the least of your problems.

I have a feeling you will be lucky to get your money back as he has probably paid the policy monthly knowing that after the false details were discovered by the insurance company this would happen so maximum profit minimum loss. I wish you luck and this is for everyone...... social media websites are a place we should not be using as legitimate places to carry out financial business with faceless strangers you may as well be burning your money.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by silver67surfer
If the policy has been cancelled call the company and explain the circumstances surrounding it and if the policy has been cancelled ask where the money for the policy is has it been paid back ect ect and I would also contact your local police station as unfortunately this type of scam is far from uncommon.

and you say you don't need people sayng how stupid you have been well I'm not as I think you will get that from your parents and don't make it worse by not telling them.

And finally the most important thing I will tell you is do not make your situation worse and drive your car you will deserve what punishment you get and some money lost will be the least of your problems.

Thank you so much for the help,I wasn’t sure whether to ring them as didn’t think it would make a different however I think I will just to try and I don’t even mind paying extra money just to keep my insurance..
Yeah I’ve already told my parents and they are obviously not the happiest. Just wanna fix this whole mess I’ve created, I feel awful and wasn’t even aware it’s classed as fraud.
And don’t worry I’m not stupid enough to drive my car not insured, I guess I’ll have to use the train for now!
Thanks again!
Reply 3
Also I do wanna somehow contact the scumbag who put me in this situation...although he’s deleted social media, I still have his sort code & account number & his name as we transferred him money (£250), is there anyway I could contact him through this or is it a biggg reach
Original post by Znxox
Also I do wanna somehow contact the scumbag who put me in this situation...although he’s deleted social media, I still have his sort code & account number & his name as we transferred him money (£250), is there anyway I could contact him through this or is it a biggg reach

Give that information to the Police. I'd also complain to his bank, just incase they might do something.
Original post by Znxox
Thank you so much for the help,I wasn’t sure whether to ring them as didn’t think it would make a different however I think I will just to try and I don’t even mind paying extra money just to keep my insurance..
Yeah I’ve already told my parents and they are obviously not the happiest. Just wanna fix this whole mess I’ve created, I feel awful and wasn’t even aware it’s classed as fraud.
And don’t worry I’m not stupid enough to drive my car not insured, I guess I’ll have to use the train for now!
Thanks again!

You won't be the first or last I'm afraid,

I would possibly go in person to your local police as things get lost in translation on the phone with your insurance letter as they may also call the insurance company on your behalf also how the money was given to the scammer account numbers ect
And ask your parents for help and advice it will help heal some wounds and show you are acting responsibly, better late than never
Original post by RogerOxon
Give that information to the Police. I'd also complain to his bank, just incase they might do something.

The police may possibly get the bank to freeze the account I don't know how it works but as much information they have the better.
Reply 7
You won't be the first or last I'm afraid,

I would possibly go in person to your local police as things get lost in translation on the phone with your insurance letter as they may also call the insurance company on your behalf also how the money was given to the scammer account numbers ect
And ask your parents for help and advice it will help heal some wounds and show you are acting responsibly, better late than never

I was worried about going to the police as I was nervous it could be seen as fraud on my behalf and my fault as I was naive and bought into it...
Do you think I should ring insurance company first and explain everything then contact the police ?
Original post by Znxox
Hello, I’ve made such a stupid mistake which has actually cost my car insurance to be cancelled 😭 I’ll try keep it brief...so I passed when I was 17 (4 months ago) and got a car however insurances were sky high. I wasn’t really sure on the best places to look for car insurance and needed a little help if I’m honest but my parents would always put it off. After a solid 2 months of looking, they were all still £4-5 thousand which is ridiculous !! I asked around (family and friends) if anyone knew of any good websites or insurance companies and a friend of mine said to look at “insurance brokers” online as they somehow get the best prices. My friend had used them and convinced me to at least look. As I was sooo desperate, I started retrieving quotes from Instagram brokers and everywhere and they all said they were 100% legitimate and said they could provide proof...so i decided to follow through with one of the quotes. I stalked his profile and saw he had already given so many people insurance’s and quotes and they all seemed so satisfied. countless times I reassured him of my details and told him I don’t want trouble with the insurance...He didn’t even give me a really cheap quote which made me doubt (around £2 grand) him and also it was with a legit company (direct line) so I went through with the payment and he even said through the messages that if anything (even though it won’t) goes wrong come back to me...so as naive as I was I went through with it...
Now a month later, I got a letter sent home saying they have cancelled my insurance as he lied about some of the details of the second driver (not me)...I went back to message him and saw he has deleted his page !!
I know I made a stupid mistake but I wasn’t aware he changed my details or anything like that...I just thought he maybe worked for the company or something and therefore was doing this on the side as we also payed him directly £250 or something...
I’m just so stuck on what to do now because so much money has been wasted and I can’t even get hold of the bloody guy...
Do you think I should phone direct line and explain the situation and how I didn’t know the details were false ??

Ps: I don’t need anyone replying telling me how stupid I was to trust him/her...I’m only 18 & honestly I was desperate and we all make mistakes...I just hope this one hasn’t cost me my insurance because I honestly can’t afford another one!

What car do you have to get a £4 grand insurance quote is more important in this instance
Reply 9
Original post by damn daniel yeah
What car do you have to get a £4 grand insurance quote is more important in this instance

Honestly the car isn’t even that great, think it’s more because of where I live and my age and the fact I was newly passed lmao
Original post by Znxox
Honestly the car isn’t even that great, think it’s more because of where I live and my age and the fact I was newly passed lmao

still what car is it as many factors of the car will raise the insurance
Reply 11
still what car is it as many factors of the car will raise the insurance

Toyota Yaris 08
Original post by Znxox
Toyota Yaris 08

which engine as that makes a big difference and is it diesel or petrol?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 13
which engine as that makes a big difference and is it diesel or petrol?

Petrol
Tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Cars and motoring.
Reply 15
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Cars and motoring.

Oh hahah good idea...this is my first post and didn’t see that forum lol
Reply 16

I have a feeling you will be lucky to get your money back as he has probably paid the policy monthly knowing that after the false details were discovered by the insurance company this would happen so maximum profit minimum loss. I wish you luck and this is for everyone...... social media websites are a place we should not be using as legitimate places to carry out financial business with faceless strangers you may as well be burning your money.

It’s not even just about getting my money back though...like I want my car insurance still with direct line because getting a new quote will literally be double the price with a cancelled policy 😭 I’m gonna phone them and hope for the best thanks
Original post by Znxox
I was worried about going to the police as I was nervous it could be seen as fraud on my behalf and my fault as I was naive and bought into it...
Do you think I should ring insurance company first and explain everything then contact the police ?

Having reported it to the Police will make your case with *Direct* Line (weren't you surprised about getting that through a broker?) stronger. I suspect that they will be more interested in the fake broker than your "mistakes".

You were incredible naive, and either didn't check the policy details, or didn't have an issue with them being incorrect. You MUST check every detail as soon as your receive policy documentation and report any error, regardless of where you bought it - mistakes happen. If you don't report a mistake immediately, then the assumption will be that it was deliberate.

NEVER buy insurance through social media. You need to know who you are dealing with, have a physical address, and pay everything by credit card.

Good luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Znxox
It’s not even just about getting my money back though...like I want my car insurance still with direct line because getting a new quote will literally be double the price with a cancelled policy 😭 I’m gonna phone them and hope for the best thanks

It'll be much more than double. I know you don't want to hear this, but it is entirely your fault, and there's nothing you can really do to get this cancellation expunged from your record - by all means, contact the Police and get this guy locked up and try and get some money back, but as far as the insurers are concerned, you fraudulently obtained insurance.

Did you not read the policy documents? If not, why not?
Reply 19
Original post by RogerOxon
Having reported it to the Police will make your case with *Direct* Line (weren't you surprised about getting that through a broker?) stronger. I suspect that they will be more interested in the fake broker than your "mistakes".

You were incredible naive, and either didn't check the policy details, or didn't have an issue with them being incorrect. You MUST check every detail as soon as your receive policy documentation and report any error, regardless of where you bought it - mistakes happen. If you don't report a mistake immediately, then the assumption will be that it was deliberate.

NEVER buy insurance through social media. You need to know who you are dealing with, have a physical address, and pay everything by credit card.

Good luck.

In all honesty because I was so clear with him that I wanted all details to be correct and he (broker) constantly said they would be, I only checked my details when looking online and they were all correct so I just skimmed past the 2nd driver as I assumed his would be to, clearly that was a massive mistake which I obviously regret now as that is where the lie was (his age) 😭

I was definitely way too naive but what really convinced me was the fact hundreds of people had done it on his profile..obviously not an excuse. It’s definatrly a learning lesson and I just hope either direct line are understanding or the quotes I find aren’t too bad (optimistic I know!)
Thanks for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending