The Student Room Group

A graduate on an apprenticeship who is getting paid £3.50 an hour

Is this the ultimate definition of a failure to you?
To go through years of schooling/UNI and then to end up working as an apprentice on £3.50 an hour. The whole day I make about £28 and I work 37 hours a week!

Scroll to see replies

Well if it leads to you getting a good job afterwards (Since you then have experience in the right work area.) then no.
I feel it is good since you have learned a lot about yourself and the real world around you throughout. This is valuable information that some do not get to see. Such as a kid who is rich due to family wealth who gets everything. They don't know how bad it could get for an average wealth family so if something did happen to their wealth they would, most likely, get really stressed and wouldn't know what to do. (If they have thought about something like this happening before then they might be prepared but you never know unless you have hard experience.)
Reply 2
Original post by monkeyman0121
Well if it leads to you getting a good job afterwards (Since you then have experience in the right work area.) then no.
I feel it is good since you have learned a lot about yourself and the real world around you throughout. This is valuable information that some do not get to see. Such as a kid who is rich due to family wealth who gets everything. They don't know how bad it could get for an average wealth family so if something did happen to their wealth they would, most likely, get really stressed and wouldn't know what to do. (If they have thought about something like this happening before then they might be prepared but you never know unless you have hard experience.)

This is an apprenticeship in a minimum wage job!
I also never tell anyone that I am a uni graduate so to avoid being judged by others!
Original post by 299400
This is an apprenticeship in a minimum wage job!
I also never tell anyone that I am a uni graduate so to avoid being judged by others!

Is the job something you want to do?
I so I have seen many examples of people with PhD's and stuff doing normal jobs. Such as a gardener who has a PhD in Physics.
What type of work you do and what is your degree in?

You have experience on your cv and this can lead you to somewhere.
Reply 5
How is a situation like this even possible?
Reply 6
What’s the apprenticeship in? Apprenticeship money is shoddy but it’s better than nothing. After your first year it changes to minimum wage for your age, so it isn’t forever.
Original post by 299400
Is this the ultimate definition of a failure to you?
To go through years of schooling/UNI and then to end up working as an apprentice on £3.50 an hour. The whole day I make about £28 and I work 37 hours a week!

what did you graduate in and why even go for a lower level apprenticeship if you have the quals to graduate?

also, you shouldn't have been allowed to do the apprenticeship, cheeky bugger
You haven't been successful yet, and that's OK :smile:

Not everybody takes the easiest or the fastest route to success! Real failure happens when you give up and just decide not to try any more.

As long as you work hard and make smart choices in the time that you have on your apprenticeship, there's no reason why you couldn't yet succeed.

Counting yourself a failure before you've reached the end is not the right attitude to take though; ultimately it's still entirely up to you whether you make the most of the opportunity in front of you to be successful :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by cat_mac
What’s the apprenticeship in? Apprenticeship money is shoddy but it’s better than nothing. After your first year it changes to minimum wage for your age, so it isn’t forever.

Office assistant in a medium sized company i basically do monkey work like printing, photocopying and other basic data entry work
Original post by 299400
Office assistant in a medium sized company i basically do monkey work like printing, photocopying and other basic data entry work

What’s the qualification you’re working towards though?
Reply 12
Original post by returnmigrant

Anyone can do an apprenticeship after April 2017 regardless of qual so for me it was either hop on to an apprenticeship or remain on the dole
Original post by 299400

Quit complaining. I start work at 8:30am in a garage which isn't even heated. Recently it's been below 0 degrees. I get £3.50 an hour as well. Consider yourself lucky. Your pay will go up after a year anyway.
Reply 14
Original post by Xopher_
Quit complaining. I start work at 8:30am in a garage which isn't even heated. Recently it's been below 0 degrees. I get £3.50 an hour as well. Consider yourself lucky.

Sorry mate but you're likely a 16 year old , is straight out of school and has a long career ahead of him/her. You working in a garage on 3.50 isn't bad because you will learn a lot of useful stuff like fixing cars, therefore, you'll earn good amount of money in the future whereas I am 20 something with a degree and on 3.50 an hour doing monkey work like photocopying and making tea rounds! go figure
Original post by 299400
Sorry mate but you're likely a 16 year old , is straight out of school and has a long career ahead of him/her. You working in a garage on 3.50 isn't bad because you will learn a lot of useful stuff like fixing cars, therefore, you'll earn good amount of money in the future whereas I am 20 something with a degree and on 3.50 an hour doing monkey work like photocopying and making tea rounds! go figure

What is your degree in?
Reply 16
Original post by CrazyPantha27
What is your degree in?

Chemistry
Reply 17
Original post by cat_mac

GCSE qualification in how to print documents.
Original post by 299400

I'm 18 and need to run my car lol. Besides, mechanics get paid **** anyway, like £10-£13 an hour depending on where you work, and that's at peak career pay. At least you won't develop long term problems like arthritis etc from working in the cold. However, I can understand your struggles considering you're in your twenties :frown: Sorry for sounding like a **** in my last post
Think long term. Short term costs (low wages) for long term gains (better career in future)

Quick Reply

Latest