The Student Room Group

Braces... a few of my questions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AspiringAccount
Mah girl I gots you,

Anyone questions you then you got these options.

1- Stay eerily quiet accompanied with the evil eye.

2- use a combo (got a few ideas myself).

Punch to the gut, punch to the kidney then finish it with a sweet punch to the nose. This'll either cause a knockout, kill him or somehow get him sent to the ER

If your good with the legs (do not misconstrude what I just said) then your gonna want to step in with your dominant leg and at the same time swerve your leg so it comes in contact with both the nig*as legs while pushing his head downwards ( I suggest you do this by gripping his neck and swiftly push it to the floor)- This'll either cause him a concussion, give him/her brain damage, kill them, kncok em out.

I realise now that the 2nd option is quite sadistic so just ignore both and try not to get angry cause they'll want that. Just give em the old blank face. Although for situations where you gotta use self-defense I think you should go with the 2nd option I mean if you want.

I love this lmfao, thanks x :smile:
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
And you feel proper weird putting your finger in your mouth, so you have to sit there and use your tongue and remove the food.

Eww sounds gross, like if i'm eating my lunch at school and it get's stuck in my braces, imma have to go to run to the toilet or something and get it out! :frown:
Original post by quickmagma
I had braces for a month and gave up and thought it was not worth it :biggrin:

What? Why?
Original post by queenmeelzx
Hey,

so today I went to the dentist and they told me that i'm going to need braces and they told me to wait for a letter from the Orthodontist.
At first I was really worried about going back to school with braces and how badly i'd get bullied. Then I wasn't sure what to think.
My questions are:
How long did you have to wear your braces?
What was it like having braces while being at school?
Was it a lot of effort wearing them?
Thanks,

1) I have had mine for over 9 months now
2) Wasnt that bad tbh, got alot of compliments for them
3) Its effort when you first get them but after a couple of weeks you get use to them but the tightening stages are the worse tho but the pain stops after a couple of days.

Tbh you have nothing to worry about and good luck xx
I love this lmfao, thanks x :smile:

No problem. I gots you.
1) Technically I had some sort of brace for probably 4-5 years. However, this included a retainer to do basic correction to my teeth. A retainer to move my jaw forward and then the typical train track braces. The traintracks I had on for 2 years, although this could've been less if I wore my elastic bands. It all depends on your teeth and what needs to be done.

2) It was fine, when I had them others had them too and tbh no one cares wether you have them or not. The results are worth it and its just school and shouldn't be for longer than a year or two.

3) Well food can get stuck in them but overall it's fine. It's just annoying if you have to wear elastics, and you are limited in food you can eat. You can't eat whole apples anymore, you have to cut them but its not bad
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
1) I have had mine for over 9 months now
2) Wasnt that bad tbh, got alot of compliments for them
3) Its effort when you first get them but after a couple of weeks you get use to them but the tightening stages are the worse tho but the pain stops after a couple of days.

Tbh you have nothing to worry about and good luck xx

Thankyou very much xx

It's just that like 2 people in my year have braces and somehow mostly everyone in my year hates me because i'm different and cba with getting involved with immature behavior, they make fun of every tiny thing about me or just throw a bunch of really crappy swears at me thinking it's a really awesome 'cuss'. I try to ignore it but when they come outside your house tryna say crappy things to you it gets over the line.

Sorry, just realized I got way to deep and into detail there - my bad!
No problem. I gots you.

Thanks, next time I need advice i'll be sure to come to you! xx :wink:
Thanks, next time I need advice i'll be sure to come to you! xx :wink:

For real. Aight.
Reply 49

I had to wear mine for about 4 years, my teeth were bad :rolleyes:

My close friends and a couple other people were interested for the first few days, then people didn't really care. Braces are pretty normal nowadays

No, braces themselves aren't a lot of effort, you get used to having them really quick. Just when I had to wear the elastic bands, it was annoying remembering to put them back on after eating etc

Did you get them invisible? What do you think about invisible braces?

I had the basic ones, but quite a few people got the invisible ones. Personally don't think they're worth the money, since they're still visible. It's kind of like having glasses without frames - not as obvious, but you can still see they're there

How often do they change wires?!!?!?!?!?!

I think it might depend on the person, for me I think it was about every 2-3 months.

When, they first put your braces in, did it hurt?

In the beginning yes, and every time they get tightened. It's just a dull, achy pain that's easily manageable with paracetamol, and maybe best to eat soups and other soft foods (yogurt, oats, soft bread, etc) for a couple of days!

Definitely get braces if they're offered to you! I had them for a long time, and I don't regret it one bit :h: Actually, my sister didn't get them when she was young and kind of regrets it now (she's in her mid-20s).
btw I gots to get braces as well sadly they're being stingy saying my teeth ain't up to scratch. So for further advice Imma say that you need to brush your teeth everyday until the appointment then you can go back to your normal methods, and also never miss an appointment cause they can decide either to make another date for you to come or just completely scrap the idea and send you back to square 1. Aight hope this helps.

As well as maintaining good oral hygiene my dentist gave me a 'deep clean' just before my appointment, you can see if the dentist can do this for you too? It is basically just scrubbing your teeth clean of plaque and basically in its best state for the orthodontist to see
Original post by Fishie
I had to wear mine for about 4 years, my teeth were bad :rolleyes:

My close friends and a couple other people were interested for the first few days, then people didn't really care. Braces are pretty normal nowadays

No, braces themselves aren't a lot of effort, you get used to having them really quick. Just when I had to wear the elastic bands, it was annoying remembering to put them back on after eating etc

I had the basic ones, but quite a few people got the invisible ones. Personally don't think they're worth the money, since they're still visible. It's kind of like having glasses without frames - not as obvious, but you can still see they're there

I think it might depend on the person, for me I think it was about every 2-3 months.

In the beginning yes, and every time they get tightened. It's just a dull, achy pain that's easily manageable with paracetamol, and maybe best to eat soups and other soft foods (yogurt, oats, soft bread, etc) for a couple of days!

Definitely get braces if they're offered to you! I had them for a long time, and I don't regret it one bit :h: Actually, my sister didn't get them when she was young and kind of regrets it now (she's in her mid-20s).

Thankyou, this has made me look positively on having braces! xx
Original post by seismic cat
As well as maintaining good oral hygiene my dentist gave me a 'deep clean' just before my appointment, you can see if the dentist can do this for you too? It is basically just scrubbing your teeth clean of plaque and basically in its best state for the orthodontist to see

I'll keep that in mind.
Also, whenever i'm brushing my teeth I always get really... bored so I legit do it for a minute and I think that's why they're in such a sh*tty state.
18 months

Absolutely fine, other people had them too and it never bothered me!

No, they hurt a little when tightened for a day or 2, but other than that not much effort, I already didn't eat really sugary foods or fizzy drinks so it wasn't much of a difference!

Don't worry about them, think of the perfect end result :smile:
Reply 55
In my school many people have had braces, I haven’t seen anyone getting bullied for having braces
i wore braces for three years (despite being told it would be for max 12 months but that’s another story) and they’re not as bad as people think. I never got bullied for them because most people have had braces, and they’re not really that high effort. You just have to make sure you brush between the brackets and follow the advice your orthodontist gives you. The worst part of my whole experience was getting 5 teeth removed to make room for my adult molars, and i doubt that’ll happen to you.
Also, whenever i'm brushing my teeth I always get really... bored so I legit do it for a minute and I think that's why they're in such a sh*tty state.

Get an electric toothbrush and go and tidy your room or do other things until the toothbrush says times up?
Hey,

so today I went to the dentist and they told me that i'm going to need braces and they told me to wait for a letter from the Orthodontist.
At first I was really worried about going back to school with braces and how badly i'd get bullied. Then I wasn't sure what to think.
My questions are:
Thanks,

1. One year
2. Normal
3. No because they’re stuck to your teeth 24/7 unless you somehow break them
No problem.
Reply 59
Had them for about a year.
No particularly mean comments, especially as so many people had them/had had them at some point. I was more insecure about them than other people noticing. To the point where I had my mouth closed and my mate couldn't remember if I still had braces or not.
The pain was much more than I expected but only the very first day, very sensitive when biting down but the subsequent re-tightenings were fine, I reckon they overdid it at the start to be honest.

Quick Reply

Latest