The Student Room Group

Funny exercise stories (an SR thread)

Okay okay so we've talked a bit about how good keeping active can be for your health and mental wellbeing, but it can be pretty damn funny too sometimes.

Do you guys have any funny exercise related stories, gifs, pictures etc? Please share them so we can all have a good laugh.

I'll go first...

Spoiler

I just wish we had some recording of it. But since we don't you'll just have to accept this instead:

And if you haven't already go check out our sparkly new Sport Relief forum.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oooh. That's painfully embarrassing! Thanks for sharing so we could enjoy your suffering. :fart::lol:
Guy asked me to spot for his first 140kg bench. He failed. In my haste to grab the bar, I teabagged him.

He has never asked me to spot him since.
Reply 3
Original post by Sulfolobus
Guy asked me to spot for his first 140kg bench. He failed. In my haste to grab the bar, I teabagged him.

He has never asked me to spot him since.

Should have said no homo afterwards
I always lose sensation when I’ve been on the bike machines for a long while and it’s quite funny to watch me try to move and walk afterwards.

Original post by Kindred
Okay okay so we've talked a bit about how good keeping active can be for your health and mental wellbeing, but it can be pretty damn funny too sometimes.

Do you guys have any funny exercise related stories, gifs, pictures etc? Please share them so we can all have a good laugh.

I'll go first...

Spoiler

I just wish we had some recording of it. But since we don't you'll just have to accept this instead:

Spoiler

I hope your brother is ok
Using leg press is a funny story :colone:
That feel when you accidentally bang your head against a barbell, true story
I was doing a personal survival exercise for one of my GCSE PE Assessments which involved swimming in a pool with your clothes on. The heating wasn't on at the time so it got cold fast - like a real life personal survival scenario, There were around 5 of us in a group and each of us had to swim 2 laps around the pool but we had to do it one at a time and we all had to stay in the pool until it was our turn to go. As I was last to go, I spent the longest time in the cold water, and as soon as I started my lap, I got cramp on one of my legs! I yelled in agony and tried to continue but then I got cramp on my other leg.

With cramp on both legs, I started to drown, bearing mind that the school pool was only between 4-6 feet deep (1.2 - 1.8 meters). A classmate dived in to rescue but at first he pulled my head underwater and I was seriously struggling to breathe at this point. Eventually I got pulled to the side and recovered, but I have to say it was quite an experience; it's ironic having been assessed on personal survival and nearly drowned. :colondollar:

I also have another story a couple of weeks after my personal survival incident. I also had a GCSE PE Assessment in Kayaking and I'd admit that I was fairly competent at the time, having had experience paddling in white water rapids. I was being recorded and was tasked to perform a basic capsize drill which involves capsizing my kayak and swimming to the bank with my kayak and paddle. I ended up dislocating my shoulder in the river and had to get a paramedic to pull me out of the river and take me to hospital whilst being in a dry suit.

GCSE PE was certainly an interesting experience haha! :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Toy Soldiers
I was doing a personal survival exercise for one of my GCSE PE Assessments which involved swimming in a pool with your clothes on. The heating wasn't on at the time so it got cold fast - like a real life personal survival scenario, There were around 5 of us in a group and each of us had to swim 2 laps around the pool but we had to do it one at a time and we all had to stay in the pool until it was our turn to go. As I was last to go, I spent the longest time in the cold water, and as soon as I started my lap, I got cramp on one of my legs! I yelled in agony and tried to continue but then I got cramp on my other leg.

With cramp on both legs, I started to drown, bearing mind that the school pool was only between 4-6 feet deep (1.2 - 1.8 meters). A classmate dived in to rescue but at first he pulled my head underwater and I was seriously struggling to breathe at this point. Eventually I got pulled to the side and recovered, but I have to say it was quite an experience; it's ironic having been assessed on personal survival and nearly drowned. :colondollar:

I also have another story a couple of weeks after my personal survival incident. I also had a GCSE PE Assessment in Kayaking and I'd admit that I was fairly competent at the time, having had experience paddling in white water rapids. I was being recorded and was tasked to perform a basic capsize drill which involves capsizing my kayak and swimming to the bank with my kayak and paddle. I ended up dislocating my shoulder in the river and had to get a paramedic to pull me out of the river and take me to hospital whilst being in a dry suit.

GCSE PE was certainly an interesting experience haha! :biggrin:

Have you considered not doing things on the grounds you seem to have been cursed with bad luck. Maybe just find a nice cosy room with rounded objects and limited water so you can't down...

Glad you survived your... survival test and hope you've recovered from your kayak experience. Thanks for sharing. It gave me a good giggle from the irony of it all. :tongue:
Original post by Kindred
Have you considered not doing things on the grounds you seem to have been cursed with bad luck. Maybe just find a nice cosy room with rounded objects and limited water so you can't down...

Glad you survived your... survival test and hope you've recovered from your kayak experience. Thanks for sharing. It gave me a good giggle from the irony of it all. :tongue:

It's all been good since then haha :smile: I was thinking of good stories to tell the other day, so I'm glad to be reminded of the funny experiences when I found this thread.
This may or not be funny... 2 days ago I was working in with 2 people on the bench press. Then I thought I was going to hit a PR, I was lifting the weight and it was surprisingly easy. Then when done I checked and turns out I miscalculated as I thought the 15 plate was a 20.

Also, the guy spotting me kept squatting down as I lifted the bar down. Is that necessary ffs?
At the very beginning, I almost knocked myself unconscious while doing overhead starjump presses. My head was tingling for about an hour afterwards and there was a massive bruise.
Everyone saw because it was in a class with mirrors everywhere.
I was skiing at a dry ski slope about to do a technical assessment when two of my old teachers turned up I was pretty much wrote off at school and the only thing i was really good at at the time was skiing. so i thought I'll show them s of I go like a rocket down the slope I was told the turns had looked really good (they had felt pretty good too) until I fell got a little concussed and injured my leg wrist and quite a few cuts and bruises My assessment was postponed and happily I passed.
I was doing Tricep cable pushdowns.
Towards the end of the set, I notice a large man on an exercise bike.
He was fully going at it (pretty fast tbh) and somehow he managed to tip the bike over and fall with it.
He was okay, but he left the gym and has never come back.
Reply 14
Another one of those glorious GIFs to remind us just how much good activity brings to this world.
Original post by Kindred

I'll go first...

Spoiler

I don't exercise..
I decided to try out the stair master for the first time. Three things are important:

1) The gym had those really full-on tall ones a bit like this.
2) They were positioned next to the floor to ceiling windows facing a busy highstreet
3) The proper free weight training area and squat racks were right behind them

So I got on the machine and started climbing. I set it to interval training (Why did I do this?!??!?!?!?!?!?). :yum: Everything was fine but it was going reaaaaaally slowly, so I increased the speed a bit. Nothing changed. Waited a bit longer and increased the speed again. No difference. :yum: Increased the speed again. Nothing.

Suddenly after about three minutes THE NEW INTERVAL KICKED IN WITHOUT ANY WARNING, NO BEEPS, NO NOTHING and the speed went up dramatically. I gallently kept up for maybe 0.5 seconds before my feet tripped over themselves and I fell ALL THE WAY down the stairs. To make it even worse, I was trying to frantically mash the stop button that was just out of reach so I didn't even let go and was stuck there flailing around like a fish, with one hand desperately holding on to the railing. Eventually I let go and ended up on the floor in a heap right infront of the windows and infront of all the Serious Weight LiftersTM who were politely pretending like nothing had happened.

Not sure what was more bruised - my body or my ego :colonhash:
Falling over in the forest probably (is a massive steep hill and very slippy). Was wearing a white shirt and squelched hard in the deep mud. Fortunately my boobs took most of the impact but still twisted my arm funny

Quick Reply

Latest