The Student Room Group

Going into Year 11 as a foreigner):

Hey. I’m currently studying in Romania, but my mom got a job in the uk so i’m obviously gonna have to move with her. For the past days i’ve spent hours reading all about GCSE. Next september i’m gonna go into year 11, which means i’ll have to take all those exams. So is there a way i can catch up on 2 years of highschool and somehow, miraculously, manage to pass? The new grading system they’ve implemented is pretty similar to the one i have in Romania. I basically only need a 4 to pass, which wouldn’t be that big of a deal if i didn’t have to take the maths and chemistry exams. Plus i’ve looked at some past chemistry exams and they look nothing like what they teach me here lmao. What happens if you fail a subject? And can anybody explain to me what the deal with A levels is? Any suggestions on how to fit in and not be a failure ahah?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolitaaa
Hey. I’m currently studying in Romania, but my mom got a job in the uk so i’m obviously gonna have to move with her. For the past days i’ve spent hours reading all about GCSE. Next september i’m gonna go into year 11, which means i’ll have to take all those exams. So is there a way i can catch up on 2 years of highschool and somehow, miraculously, manage to pass? The new grading system they’ve implemented is pretty similar to the one i have in Romania. I basically only need a 4 to pass, which wouldn’t be that big of a deal if i didn’t have to take the maths and chemistry exams. Plus i’ve looked at some past chemistry exams and they look nothing like what they teach me here lmao. What happens if you fail a subject? And can anybody explain to me what the deal with A levels is? Any suggestions on how to fit in and not be a failure ahah?

A-levels are the next stage of academic study beyond GCSE, and usually lead to students going to uni. Most students do 3/4 and these can be any subjects you want (none are compulsory) but some courses specify you must study certain subjects- e.g. you need two sciences at a-level to do a science based degree.

Although a 4 is a pass, your will probably need a 6 at least in most subjects you want to study at A-level, although if you go to a school with a sixth form, they may make allowances if they know you came into the GCSE curriculum part way through. Some people go onto vocational training as an apprentice or take a different route such as a BTEC at college instead. Most routes can eventually lead to uni if you want.

If you fail one GCSE (not English or Maths), it doesn't really matter, as long as you have enough to move on to the next stage of education. If you fail English or Maths, you will have to retake until you pass.

The school you transfer into will probably have systems in place to help you. They may put you on a reduced timetable of GCSEs to help you catch up, for example. Most students will do 9 or 10, but the school may suggest you do less, and use your free periods to really focus on passing those subjects. Usually this won't matter too much in the future. Schools in big cities will probably be more used to this than schools in rural towns.

If private school is an option, they will probably let you go into year 10, but the fees are very expensive so this may not be an option.
Reply 2
So say i fail the maths GCSE, do I need to wait a period of time before i can retake?
Right now i’m a 9th grader, but if i lived in the UK, I’d be in year 10. I thought about going into year 10 instead of year 11 but i don’t think it’s possible since i’m not gonna go to a private school, even though year 10 is the grade I should normally be in next year
So say i fail the maths GCSE, do I need to wait a period of time before i can retake?
Right now i’m a 9th grader, but if i lived in the UK, I’d be in year 10. I thought about going into year 10 instead of year 11 but i don’t think it’s possible since i’m not gonna go to a private school, even though year 10 is the grade I should normally be in next year

It might be possible in a state school, but due to the way funding works it's unlikely. It would be worth your mother asking though- the worst they can say is no. I believe the request for you to go back a year would be directed at the LA, when applying for a place, rather than to a specific school, but I might be wrong.

With maths, you will start retaking straight away in year 12, and keep trying until you pass or leave education at 18.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It might be possible in a state school, but due to the way funding works it's unlikely. It would be worth your mother asking though- the worst they can say is no. I believe the request for you to go back a year would be directed at the LA, when applying for a place, rather than to a specific school, but I might be wrong.

With maths, you will start retaking straight away in year 12, and keep trying until you pass or leave education at 18.

That doesn’t seem as complicated as I thought it’d be. Thanks a lot ahah
Hi :hi:
By the time you do your GCSEs, a 5 will be a pass, not a 4 :smile:

If you fail GCSE maths in the June exams (for example), you would have to wait until November to retake - i think :smile:

A-levels are the next stage after GCSEs. This would be for Year 12 and 13 (2 years), and after that, it is university :biggrin:
You pick 3 subjects that you want to carry on for A-levels, usually subjects you took for GCSEs and study these in a much greater depth.

Also, when you get to your new school, make sure you know what exam boards all your subjects are for, as they differ between schools and this can change and affect how you revise :smile:

For maths, i suggest corbett maths as it has all topics you'll need to know and also short videos explaining how to do each part :smile: also this thread might help :biggrin:
That doesn’t seem as complicated as I thought it’d be. Thanks a lot ahah

It's not complicated as such- the complicated thing will be finding a school that's right for you and has a space available for you when you want it. School admissions (especially in London) can be a nightmare.
Reply 7
Original post by laurawatt
Hi :hi:
By the time you do your GCSEs, a 5 will be a pass, not a 4 :smile:

If you fail GCSE maths in the June exams (for example), you would have to wait until November to retake - i think :smile:

A-levels are the next stage after GCSEs. This would be for Year 12 and 13 (2 years), and after that, it is university :biggrin:
You pick 3 subjects that you want to carry on for A-levels, usually subjects you took for GCSEs and study these in a much greater depth.

Also, when you get to your new school, make sure you know what exam boards all your subjects are for, as they differ between schools and this can change and affect how you revise :smile:

For maths, i suggest corbett maths as it has all topics you'll need to know and also short videos explaining how to do each part :smile: also this thread might help :biggrin:

aw c’mon don’t shatter my soul ): they’re changing the grading system again? right when i thought i had a chance to pass maths omg
and those links are super helpful, thanks (:
Reply 8
Salut si tie :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Heyok
Salut si tie :smile:

nuuuu credeam ca e o zona romanian-free dar aparent nu=)))
Reply 10

Suntem peste tot....deci oriunde mergi/cauti pe internet mereu dai de cate un roman.
aw c’mon don’t shatter my soul ): they’re changing the grading system again? right when i thought i had a chance to pass maths omg
and those links are super helpful, thanks (:

Sorry!
As far as I'm aware, for the first 1-2 years going through the new exams, a 4 is a pass, but by the time you (and me) are going through the exams next year, a 5 will be the minimum pass grade (@Lemur14 can you confirm?)

No problem :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Heyok
Suntem peste tot....deci oriunde mergi/cauti pe internet mereu dai de cate un roman.

Daca e ceva legat de sistemul britanic ma poti intreba pe mine sau @Michiyo (si ea tot romanca).
Reply 13
mai putin cand vine vorba de memes ):
Reply 14
Original post by Heyok
Daca e ceva legat de sistemul britanic ma poti intreba pe mine sau @Michiyo (si ea tot romanca).

INCA UN ROMAN WIFJJS. dar mersi (:

Damn I was in the exact same position as yoou 3 years ago. I moved into the UK and started year 10 and I want to tell that even though it's difficult, it is POSSIBLE. You just need to work hard and sacrifice a lot of spare time, and don't waste anytime please, I didnt realise how valuable the time I wasted was and I don't want you to make the same mistake. If you work really hard it's defienetely possible, I did it and now I'm doing A levels.Best of luck:smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Damn I was in the exact same position as yoou 3 years ago. I moved into the UK and started year 10 and I want to tell that even though it's difficult, it is POSSIBLE. You just need to work hard and sacrifice a lot of spare time, and don't waste anytime please, I didnt realise how valuable the time I wasted was and I don't want you to make the same mistake. If you work really hard it's defienetely possible, I did it and now I'm doing A levels.Best of luck:smile:

wait are you romanian too? and i’m used to wasting my life away ): you were probably some kind of undiscovered einstein lmao, idk if i can do that
wait are you romanian too? and i’m used to wasting my life away ): you were probably some kind of undiscovered einstein lmao, idk if i can do that

Na except for that. I wont lie to you it is difficult, but if you're willing you can do it! I believe in you!!
Reply 18
Original post by Radioactivedecay
Na except for that. I wont lie to you it is difficult, but if you're willing you can do it! I believe in you!!

oh you quoted a text i wrote in romanian and i got confused ahah. but thanks for believing in me (:
Original post by laurawatt
Sorry!
As far as I'm aware, for the first 1-2 years going through the new exams, a 4 is a pass, but by the time you (and me) are going through the exams next year, a 5 will be the minimum pass grade (@Lemur14 can you confirm?)

No problem :smile:

You were correct until the government made a U turn on that decision in April last year :facepalm: So now for the foreseeable future they're sticking with a 4 as a pass, and a 5 as a strong pass (well to my best knowledge anyway) :smile:
PRSOM for your post at the top of the thread :sad:

Also, if you're posting in other languages then the community guidelines say you must provide a translation, so would be great if you could do this in future @Heyok @lolitaaaa :smile:

Latest