The Student Room Group

Kings/UCL with GCSE grades lower than their requirements?

Just wanted to ask that if someone gets a grade 5/C for Maths at GCSE and gets AAA/AAB predicted for A-Level, can they still apply to Kings/UCL who ask for a grade 6/B in Maths and AAB predicted (which that someone gets). Is it worth applying or will they be rejected? Also, how does clearing work in this instance?

Thank you
Original post by fr.fr
Just wanted to ask that if someone gets a grade 5/C for Maths at GCSE and gets AAA/AAB predicted for A-Level, can they still apply to Kings/UCL who ask for a grade 6/B in Maths and AAB predicted (which that someone gets). Is it worth applying or will they be rejected? Also, how does clearing work in this instance?

Thank you

Is it a course where you would use maths/stats? If so, 6 is probably the minimum level they think is required to cope with the course, so you would be automatically rejected. If it's not a course where you'd use maths, then they might be more lenient, but would probably prioritise your actual grades (GCSEs) over your A-level predictions. It would probably depend on who else applied. I'd say it would be a risky choice, but one or two of those is ok.

For clearing, the same probably applies- if you'd use maths on the course, then it would probably be a no, unless they were desperate. Otherwise, it's more pot luck, and depends on how badly they want extra bums on seats. When unis like Kings/UCL are in clearing, they are really just aiming to pick up the odd extra top student, I think. It's not likely they have loads of spaces they are desperate to fill. But you might get lucky.

If a university has rejected you once, unless you've vastly exceeded your predicted grades, I think they'd be less likely to consider you at clearing.
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Is it a course where you would use maths/stats? If so, 6 is probably the minimum level they think is required to cope with the course, so you would be automatically rejected. If it's not a course where you'd use maths, then they might be more lenient, but would probably prioritise your actual grades (GCSEs) over your A-level predictions. It would probably depend on who else applied. I'd say it would be a risky choice, but one or two of those is ok.

For clearing, the same probably applies- if you'd use maths on the course, then it would probably be a no, unless they were desperate. Otherwise, it's more pot luck, and depends on how badly they want extra bums on seats. When unis like Kings/UCL are in clearing, they are really just aiming to pick up the odd extra top student, I think. It's not likely they have loads of spaces they are desperate to fill. But you might get lucky.

If a university has rejected you once, unless you've vastly exceeded your predicted grades, I think they'd be less likely to consider you at clearing.

Thanks for your reply.

The course itself would be something like Pharmacy which obviously requires Maths. But I feel like maybe if I have predicted which exceed their asking, maybe, but obviously I'm really not sure, I really do want to go there. A lot of people say different things.

What do you think if someone has a really strong personal statement?
Id say No.

Everyone else applying would have these requirements and even then they reject the best people, people with perfect grades and only differentiate by a tiny bit in their statements. Why would they pick someone who doesnt even hit the base line...

I'd say you'd need to smash your AS to stand a chance

Good luck!!:smile:
Original post by fr.fr
Thanks for your reply.

The course itself would be something like Pharmacy which obviously requires Maths. But I feel like maybe if I have predicted which exceed their asking, maybe, but obviously I'm really not sure, I really do want to go there. A lot of people say different things.

What do you think if someone has a really strong personal statement?

For something like Pharmacy, you'll need strong maths skills, and you might be filtered out before they even look at your reference (predicted grades). Your PS won't make a difference compared to GCSE grades.

I think this is one of the areas where unis are least likely to compromise, as they don't want to take people who are going to fail the course. Are your A-levels maths/science related?

If you really want to apply, you do get 5 choices, but I would be prepared for a rejection.
Reply 5
For something like Pharmacy, you'll need strong maths skills, and you might be filtered out before they even look at your reference (predicted grades). Your PS won't make a difference compared to GCSE grades.

I think this is one of the areas where unis are least likely to compromise, as they don't want to take people who are going to fail the course. Are your A-levels maths/science related?

If you really want to apply, you do get 5 choices, but I would be prepared for a rejection.

I see your point.

A levels inc. Biology and Chemistry
But then how would other unis such as Reading and Hertfordshire ask for grades 4 and 5, is it to do with reputation(like King's and UCL being really high up idk)
Original post by fr.fr

Thank you

If it's a requirement, no. They'll reject you with little consideration.

They may accept GCSE retakes, if that's something you're willing to do
Reply 7
Original post by gotaquestion
Id say No.

Everyone else applying would have these requirements and even then they reject the best people, people with perfect grades and only differentiate by a tiny bit in their statements. Why would they pick someone who doesnt even hit the base line...

I'd say you'd need to smash your AS to stand a chance

Good luck!!:smile:

Thanks for your reply :smile:

There's no more AS, it's all linear so at the end of the two years now
Original post by fr.fr
I see your point.

A levels inc. Biology and Chemistry
But then how would other unis such as Reading and Hertfordshire ask for grades 4 and 5, is it to do with reputation(like King's and UCL being really high up idk)

Other universities may have to accept a lower standard of applicants in order to fill their courses. Due to this, they'll probably start the parts involving maths at a simpler level, and offer more support to those who are struggling. At UCL and Kings, if they can fill the courses with students with 6/B, they can start teaching at this level, and maybe have less contact hours, making the course slightly cheaper for them to run.

Basically, with GCSEs, unis tend to ask for the minimum needed to cope. They may have to adjust this slightly- if they would like everyone to have A grades, but can't fill the course that way, they'll have to adjust down and start teaching to that level.

With A-levels it's different. Because of league tables (and other factors) they will ask for the highest they can get away with and still fill the course (in some cases accepting hugely missed grades on results day).

Basically, I think it's a very long shot and if you really want to get in, it might be worth retaking if you can afford this.
Reply 9
Other universities may have to accept a lower standard of applicants in order to fill their courses. Due to this, they'll probably start the parts involving maths at a simpler level, and offer more support to those who are struggling. At UCL and Kings, if they can fill the courses with students with 6/B, they can start teaching at this level, and maybe have less contact hours, making the course slightly cheaper for them to run.

Basically, with GCSEs, unis tend to ask for the minimum needed to cope. They may have to adjust this slightly- if they would like everyone to have A grades, but can't fill the course that way, they'll have to adjust down and start teaching to that level.

With A-levels it's different. Because of league tables (and other factors) they will ask for the highest they can get away with and still fill the course (in some cases accepting hugely missed grades on results day).

Basically, I think it's a very long shot and if you really want to get in, it might be worth retaking if you can afford this.

Thank you so so much for your replies, they've been so helpful.

Do you mean re taking maths?
Original post by fr.fr
Thank you so so much for your replies, they've been so helpful.

Do you mean re taking maths?

I do mean retaking maths. I'm guessing you're in year 12 so it might be possible to do this in year 13- although I imagine you'd have to pay for exam entries and self study. I'm not sure if this would be a sensible course of action, but universities can make offers conditional on GCSE results as well as A-level ones, so it is an option.

I'm not sure if it would be ideal, as your A-level grades might suffer, but if you're really really set on Kings and UCL, it might be the way forwards.
Reply 11
I do mean retaking maths. I'm guessing you're in year 12 so it might be possible to do this in year 13- although I imagine you'd have to pay for exam entries and self study. I'm not sure if this would be a sensible course of action, but universities can make offers conditional on GCSE results as well as A-level ones, so it is an option.

I'm not sure if it would be ideal, as your A-level grades might suffer, but if you're really really set on Kings and UCL, it might be the way forwards.

I am in year 12 currently and I think maybe I'd apply to unis which ask for a grade 5 in maths because I feel like if I re took it maybe as you say my A Level grades would suffer. However I need to think about your suggestion and speak to my sixth form director.

Thanks
Original post by fr.fr
I am in year 12 currently and I think maybe I'd apply to unis which ask for a grade 5 in maths because I feel like if I re took it maybe as you say my A Level grades would suffer. However I need to think about your suggestion and speak to my sixth form director.

Thanks

No worries. Good luck whatever you decide :smile: Entry requirements aren't fixed year on year, and as your year was the first to take new GCSEs, the requirement might go down next year if you're very lucky!
Original post by fr.fr
Thanks for your reply :smile:

There's no more AS, it's all linear so at the end of the two years now

Hey,

I get that it is linear but you can still take the AS to give evidence of your academic ability that may be lacking in some areas on your application.

I know a friend who got a C at GCSE physics and wanted to do engineering so sat an AS in Further Maths, maths and Physics modules, gaining over 85 UMS in each (averaging 98 UMS is maths)

:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by gotaquestion
Hey,

I get that it is linear but you can still take the AS to give evidence of your academic ability that may be lacking in some areas on your application.

I know a friend who got a C at GCSE physics and wanted to do engineering so sat an AS in Further Maths, maths and Physics modules, gaining over 85 UMS in each (averaging 98 UMS is maths)

:smile:

Did ur friend get to do the engineering course at the uni?
Original post by fr.fr
Did ur friend get to do the engineering course at the uni?

Well she's had four out of five offers - rejected at Cambridge after an interview!

She also did a lot of work on her personal statement - STEM workshops, mechanical projects , that sort of thing.

She also got predicted 2A*s and an A.

To be honest, unless you really stun with some stellar AS grades or get higher predicted grades, the competitions so high, it will be very unlikely for you to get in.

All the best for whatever you decide to do - go talk to a careers advisor at school or something
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi i’m just wondering did you apply to ucl/kcl for pharmacy because i’m in the same situation too except i have a 5 in english language

Latest

Trending

Trending