The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
Yes, but it's rare. There is more of a chance being disabled to the point it causes a lot of hard complications.

No, I wouldn't advise anything and it's very touchy and extreme to say that. However I wouldn't blame the parent if they did because some disabilities are so bad that it would cause some parents to lose their their jobs, social life etc.

Like I remember A mother having to take care of her physically/mentally disabled son. She had to quit work, manage her social life because she had to do everything for her son. Like dress him, cook for him, take him to the bathroom etc. Despite him being in his 20s. So in things like that a Mother aborting if she knows a disabled son is too much hard work then yeah I don't blame her.

I don't think some disabilities are bad, I don't think disabled people are bad or anything- And I didn't mean to across like that. I just don't think being a product of an incest couple is a good thing.

Like I wrote and you agree, it is rare, but it happens.
Original post by Wired_1800
Like I wrote and you agree, it is rare, but it happens.

Is that all you have to say lol?
Why did you ignore the other things I wrote? I guess I am right?
Yes, but it's rare. There is more of a chance being disabled to the point it causes a lot of hard complications.

No, I wouldn't advise anything and it's very touchy and extreme to say that. However I wouldn't blame the parent if they did because some disabilities are so bad that it would cause some parents to lose their their jobs, social life etc.

Like I remember A mother having to take care of her physically/mentally disabled son. She had to quit work, manage her social life because she had to do everything for her son. Like dress him, cook for him, take him to the bathroom etc. Despite him being in his 20s. So in things like that a Mother aborting if she knows a disabled son is too much hard work then yeah I don't blame her.

I don't think some disabilities are bad, I don't think disabled people are bad or anything- And I didn't mean to across like that. I just don't think being a product of an incest couple is a good thing.

I agree that being a product of incest is not a good thing. Being disabled in any way at all is nit a good thing, but where do we draw the line? Do we end the life of a foetus/baby because it 'might' be hard work? Is hard work a good enough reason for abortion?
Original post by EpicBrum
I agree that being a product of incest is not a good thing. Being disabled in any way at all is nit a good thing, but where do we draw the line? Do we end the life of a foetus/baby because it 'might' be hard work? Is hard work a good enough reason for abortion?

I don't know. It depends on the women. If the women is career driven and knows that her child will take up her life then I would say yes tbh. It would be hard for her to financially support herself. Obviously I can't speak for every Mother though.

Having a disabled child can be very expensive and providing full time care to that child for the rest of it’s life is extremely demanding. Also consider quality of life for a severely disabled child if it has a family who can’t provide the necessary level of care.

I have so much admiration for parents of disabled kids, and also for the women who can realise her limits and abort a pregnancy that would create a lifetime of struggle for both parent and child.
Is that all you have to say lol?
Why did you ignore the other things I wrote? I guess I am right?

No, of course not. I do not think disabled babies should be aborted. Sometimes doctors are wrong.

Imagine u were a slow developer and the doctor assumed that you may be a problem. Do you think your mother should have killed you?
I didn't even notice a 'spoiler', I'm not that internet savvy. Sorry about your brain cells though, how many do you now have left? ;-)
I...Is hard work a good enough reason for abortion?

This all depends on where you stand in defining the foetus. If you regard a foetus as only a potential person (to put it bluntly) then any reason the pregnant woman has for not wanting to bring that potential person into being (as a person) is usually sufficient. Women generally don't treat getting pregnant lightly because they usually know the significance of the actual and potential consequences, no matter what they choose to do, but as the foetus is essentially of their making (the contribution of a sperm by a man notwithstanding) the decision is theirs to make.
(edited 6 years ago)
No, of course not. I do not think disabled babies should be aborted. Sometimes doctors are wrong.

Imagine u were a slow developer and the doctor assumed that you may be a problem. Do you think your mother should have killed you?

So you think a Mother should look after their children to the point it makes them quit there jobs? Ruin their social life?cool

What do you mean by a slow developer? The doctors know what type of serve disability that you may have. If my Mother "killed" me because I was going to be intensely disabled to the point it will ruin her life, then there's that.
So you think a Mother should look after their children to the point it makes them quit there jobs? Ruin their social life?cool

What do you mean by a slow developer? The doctors know what type of serve disability that you may have. If my Mother "killed" me because I was going to be intensely disabled to the point it will ruin her life, then there's that.

What?

A slow developer is like someone with downs syndrome. Medicine is now quite advance that doctors can find whether an unborn baby will have DS. The issue is that they wont know whether it will be moderate or extreme DS. Extreme DS shows severe mental retardation or slow cognitive development.

So you think that it is okay for a woman to kill a Downs Syndrome baby because it could affect her social life. Wow!

I think you are really young and probably naive. You need to mature a bit and then we can have a chat.

Once we’re pregnant this guy just sees women as baby vessels. Her life is unimportant from that point on, her only function is to grow and raise a baby for the rest of her life. Quality of life of the mother has no bearing to him. That’s the problem with prolifers, they don’t care about quality of life, just quantity.
Original post by cat_mac
Once we’re pregnant this guy just sees women as baby vessels. Her life is unimportant from that point on, her only function is to grow and raise a baby for the rest of her life. Quality of life of the mother has no bearing to him. That’s the problem with prolifers, they don’t care about quality of life, just quantity.

Your ignorance is surprising. I have never ever said that women are vessels or anything that you accuse me of saying.

I am anti-abortion and not anti-woman. This is the issue with some women. When you dont want to do whatever they want, then you hate all women.

All i have saying is that i dont think that women have or should have the right to kill an unborn child. When the child is born, i did not say it is the women sole job to take care of the child. It is the father and mother’s role to do so.

Please refrain from attacking me and trying to paint me in a bad light. Let us debate the subject and reduce the emotional mudslinging.
Original post by cat_mac
That’s the problem with prolifers, they don’t care about quality of life, just quantity.

I don't even think it's that. The pro-life lobby has historically been dominated by the idea of patriarchal authority over women's bodies (whether that is religious or secular patriarchy). Their arguments aren't usually presented in this way directly but that is what it tends to come down to, behind the curtain so to speak.
Your ignorance is surprising. I have never ever said that women are vessels or anything that you accuse me of saying.

I am anti-abortion and not anti-woman. This is the issue with some women. When you dont want to do whatever they want, then you hate all women.

All i have saying is that i dont think that women have or should have the right to kill an unborn child. When the child is born, i did not say it is the women sole job to take care of the child. It is the father and mother’s role to do so.

Please refrain from attacking me and trying to paint me in a bad light. Let us debate the subject and reduce the emotional mudslinging.

Forcing a woman to spend 9 months growing a baby that they don’t want, especially putting them through the trauma if it’s a rape caused pregnancy, is totally disregarding quality of life for women. You can’t imagine how it would feel having a constant reminder of what happened to you inside your own body, and the turmoil of hating the baby and loving it at the same time. It’d be like putting headphones on a vet with ptsd 24/7 playing war noises.

Emotion is very much ingrained in this topic, which is what you seem to be missing. There are so many cases where pregnancy can be traumatic for women. Quality of life for the person who already exists and lives in the world is more important than an unborn child. A person who has lived on this earth for years deserves to be taken care of over an unborn child.

Being anti-abortion is anti choice for women. It isn’t giving women the control of their own bodies, unless they are on death’s door. This is a highly emotive topic and if you’re wanting to discuss your opinion that women’s quality of life isn’t as important as a foetus, you should be prepared for emotional responses.
Original post by cat_mac
Forcing a woman to spend 9 months growing a baby that they don’t want, especially putting them through the trauma if it’s a rape caused pregnancy, is totally disregarding quality of life for women. You can’t imagine how it would feel having a constant reminder of what happened to you inside your own body, and the turmoil of hating the baby and loving it at the same time. It’d be like putting headphones on a vet with ptsd 24/7 playing war noises.

Emotion is very much ingrained in this topic, which is what you seem to be missing. There are so many cases where pregnancy can be traumatic for women. Quality of life for the person who already exists and lives in the world is more important than an unborn child. A person who has lived on this earth for years deserves to be taken care of over an unborn child.

Being anti-abortion is anti choice for women. It isn’t giving women the control of their own bodies, unless they are on death’s door. This is a highly emotive topic and if you’re wanting to discuss your opinion that women’s quality of life isn’t as important as a foetus, you should be prepared for emotional responses.

Yet, a woman killing her unborn child appears to be the better option.

Pregnancy is a traumatic experience for many women whether they want to keep the child or not. Women who seek to abort do not have a special experience over other women.

There are women that have experienced some of the most heinous rape encounters and still keep their children. I heard a story of a woman that was kidnapped and brutally raped plus maltreated many times. When she was freed, she kept the child and gave birth to a son. When asked why she did not kill it, her response was “my son did not do anything to me, so why should i kill him?”

Now, i understand that this is one story and there are many women psychologically or physically weaker to be as brave as the woman, but that is immense for a woman to have done the right thing by her child. She is also not the only one, there are many rape cases where women have kept the child. It is not a new thing.

Now to the anti-woman topic. I have never in anyway dictated what women should do with their bodies. Although i have views on how men and women should behave and engage in the world. E.g. men taking care, protecting and serving their women with women doing the same for their men. I have never tried to force my opinion on another person whether it is a man or a woman.

My ONLY viewpoint that i have with this topic is the issue of killing an unborn child. Now, the fact that a child lives and depends on its mother for survival should not be the reason for the mother to have final say on the fate of the child. If she has a say during pregnancy then she should also be allowed to terminate her child, if she finds out that she cannot or is not ready to take care of her.

The other poster posed a question of what about a disabled child. I think that if a mother is unable to kill her disabled child after birth, why should she be allowed to kill it before birth?

We have gone round circles and we keep coming back to the same place. Like i told a poster some days ago, whatever a woman wants to do to her offspring, she can well do it. If she decides to even remove her womb she can. However, if i was asked for an opinion, i would say that she does not have a right to decide the fate on another person’s life.

Not all women should be mothers. It is better to have an average mother than a horrible one. With the way some kids are growing up nowadays, i think motherhood should be regulated. I think motherhood is a precious and amazing thing and should be closely guarded.
What?

A slow developer is like someone with downs syndrome. Medicine is now quite advance that doctors can find whether an unborn baby will have DS. The issue is that they wont know whether it will be moderate or extreme DS. Extreme DS shows severe mental retardation or slow cognitive development.

So you think that it is okay for a woman to kill a Downs Syndrome baby because it could affect her social life. Wow!

I think you are really young and probably naive. You need to mature a bit and then we can have a chat.

There was nothing wrong with what I said. If a Mother needs to stay at home her whole entire life to take care of her child then yes it means she most likely won't have a job, social life etc. Social life is one of the very few aspects.

Stop trying to humiliate me. I am not very young- I am 19, neither am I naive or immature.
There was nothing wrong with what I said. If a Mother needs to stay at home her whole entire life to take care of her child then yes it means she most likely won't have a job, social life etc. Social life is one of the very few aspects.

Stop trying to humiliate me. I am not very young- I am 19, neither am I naive or immature.

Sorry, i did not intend it to come out that way. I got emotional when i saw you try to justify the death of unborn child.

Let me ask you a question: if a woman gives birth and finds out that her child has severe Downs Syndrome. The doctor did not find it during pregnancy. Do you think that she can or should be allowed to kill the kid?
Sorry, i did not intend it to come out that way. I got emotional when i saw you try to justify the death of unborn child.

Let me ask you a question: if a woman gives birth and finds out that her child has severe Downs Syndrome. The doctor did not find it during pregnancy. Do you think that she can or should be allowed to kill the kid?

No, because I believe that whilst the "baby" is in the womb, they are not actually human beings yet (up to 36 weeks). So If a Mother killed a human (her child) then it's obviously murder. I do think she should give her child up to adoption
No, because I believe that whilst the "baby" is in the womb, they are not actually human beings yet (up to 36 weeks). So If a Mother killed a human (her child) then it's obviously murder. I do think she should give her child up to adoption

Now I'm not saying you're wrong here, I'm just curious...

What do you personally see as the difference between killing 35 week unborn baby and a newborn baby? And why does it make one wrong over the other?
Now I'm not saying you're wrong here, I'm just curious...

What do you personally see as the difference between killing 35 week unborn baby and a newborn baby? And why does it make one wrong over the other?

One is a human, the other one isn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending