The Student Room Group

Student loan for conversion course from nurse to midwife

Hello,I have completed one year of an adult nursing degree and I'm looking into the conversion course from nursing to midwifery. Since I have got my nursing degree funded I wondered if I would be able to get a student loan for the conversion course?Many thanks in advance!
Original post by dbosworth
Hello,I have completed one year of an adult nursing degree and I'm looking into the conversion course from nursing to midwifery. Since I have got my nursing degree funded I wondered if I would be able to get a student loan for the conversion course?Many thanks in advance!

Hi, I think the best thing to do is look at the websites of the universities you would be looking at applying to (I know only a handful of universities offer the midwifery conversion course though), if information on funding is not available on their websites, it might be worth contacting their admissions department to ask.
It’s worth keeping in mind that as there are lots of changes going on with funding of undergraduate & postgraduate nursing & midwifery, it may change again before you finish your degree.
I hope this helps a bit.
Reply 2
Original post by mel_l218
Hi, I think the best thing to do is look at the websites of the universities you would be looking at applying to (I know only a handful of universities offer the midwifery conversion course though), if information on funding is not available on their websites, it might be worth contacting their admissions department to ask.
It’s worth keeping in mind that as there are lots of changes going on with funding of undergraduate & postgraduate nursing & midwifery, it may change again before you finish your degree.
I hope this helps a bit.

That's very true, everything does keep changing! I will contact an admissions department and see what they say, thank you for your advice!!
Reply 3
The conversion course is for qualified nurses so to do it you would need to finish your degree first. You may be able to transfer your credits over to a midwifery course though. Your best shot is asking at the university you are currently studying at.
Reply 4
Original post by dbosworth

If you complete your nursing degree you should get funding to do 18mth midwifery course.
I’m a midwife wanting to do Msc in Nursing and as it’s a different field I’ve been told by SFE that I will get funding so you should too,
What a shame years ago you got paid band 5 to train as a midwife.
I’m not sure how many universities do the conversion courses.
If you want to change to midwifery now I’m not sure as it’s very different to nursing.
I would not advise anyone do direct entry midwifery as it’s extremely limited in career choices, the only choice is midwife or HV.
You may think you always want to be a midwife but what if you don’t. At least if you do adult nursing then midwifery you have loads of options.
Plus so many more women are falling pregnant with medical conditions it’s handy to have nursing.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest