The Student Room Group

Choosing college

Hello TSR,

I'm choosing my college preferences. I would prefer a single room with no carpets because I have an allergy. Most rooms I browsed on college websites have carpets except some in Churchill and Magdalene.

What would you recommend me If I'm choosing a college based on this criteria. Which colleges I have the best chance with hard-floored rooms?

Please advise.
Original post by V944817
Hello TSR,

I'm choosing my college preferences. I would prefer a single room with no carpets because I have an allergy. Most rooms I browsed on college websites have carpets except some in Churchill and Magdalene.

What would you recommend me If I'm choosing a college based on this criteria. Which colleges I have the best chance with hard-floored rooms?

Please advise.

As far as I’m aware, the majority of rooms in Cripps Court (1st year accommodation) at Queens’ have hard floors. I have no idea about the rest though :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by V944817
Hello TSR,

Please advise.

Afaik majority of rooms have carpeted floor at most colleges.
Surest way is send email to colleges you’re interested and ask.

But even if you managed to find a room with hard floor and apply to them, bean in mind about 20-25% of successful applicants are pooled via their pooling system to other college that they first applied to, so you may not end up at a college of your choice.
Reply 3
Original post by V944817
Hello TSR,

Please advise.

Most college bedrooms are hoovered every week, and any carpets are pretty thin...

As vincrows mentioned, check with a number of colleges and mention your allergies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by V944817

You're not going to be able to rationally select a College based on this criterion. Which College you actually get allocated, which room you get allocated, there is too much chance involved for it to be a sensible strategy, even if you could get accurate data in the first place.

Carpeted floors are quieter in Halls, and warmer, albeit harder to clean. But anyway, you'll never be able to get an assessment of hard floor coverage across all Colleges.
Original post by threeportdrift
You're not going to be able to rationally select a College based on this criterion. Which College you actually get allocated, which room you get allocated, there is too much chance involved for it to be a sensible strategy, even if you could get accurate data in the first place.

Carpeted floors are quieter in Halls, and warmer, albeit harder to clean. But anyway, you'll never be able to get an assessment of hard floor coverage across all Colleges.

If op can identify colleges (by actually contacting them all) hard floor accommodation and apply to one of them, I’m quite sure the will do their best to offer an appropriate room on medical ground as long as op can provide a note from their doctor on the condition.
I think the issue is, as I mentioned above, there’s no guarantee op will be accepted by the college they applied to because about a quarter of successful applicants are poolees.
And a vast majority of accommodation are carpeted anyway, if their condition is so severe it’s vital to avoid carpet, perhaps a uni like Cambridge where you are expected to live in college accommodation is not suitable to them....l
Original post by vincrows

I can't imagine who you'd have to contact in a College to find out which rooms were carpeted and which weren't. Not a question anyone would take seriously, because why would a College bother to collect that data? The estates/facilities and cleaning services vary from College to College. You'd have graduated from any other University before you got a sensible answer out of all 31 Cambridge Colleges!
I can't imagine who you'd have to contact in a College to find out which rooms were carpeted and which weren't. Not a question anyone would take seriously, because why would a College bother to collect that data? The estates/facilities and cleaning services vary from College to College. You'd have graduated from any other University before you got a sensible answer out of all 31 Cambridge Colleges!

Housekeeping department would know, I’d think.
Housekeeping department would know, I’d think.

Not likely to be a figure anyone has in their head, and there is no chance many are going to specially count for you!

There really are some things at Cambridge prospective candidates just have to take a chance on, and we don't help them by pretending there aren't, it's called real life!
Not likely to be a figure anyone has in their head, and there is no chance many are going to specially count for you!

There really are some things at Cambridge prospective candidates just have to take a chance on, and we don't help them by pretending there aren't, it's called real life!

I’ve already implied, twice, it’s meaningless to apply to a certain college on the basis of hard floor room availability. :wink:
A 'carpeted' college may well remove carpet for you if you have a medical condition (we've done it here before).
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
A 'carpeted' college may well remove carpet for you if you have a medical condition (we've done it here before).

Hope OP’s condition is not severe as they can’t tolerate carpets in the corridors, either......:tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions

That's pretty impressive really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hope OP’s condition is not severe as they can’t tolerate carpets in the corridors, either......:tongue:

I can tolerate that as I tend to spend most of time inside my room or completely outside the dorm.
iirc rooms in Wolfson Building at Trinity have hard floors. Best strategy is to select a college/colleges you like via conventional means, and then get in touch with your shortlist and ask about the availability of hard floors. They should be willing to help you get one of these rooms since your reason is medical.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending