The Student Room Group

DofE cooking

A bit of a silly question but is baking an area of the 'Cookery' skill on DofE? Or is it an entirely separate thing?

I was thinking of making cakes and biscuits but I don't really fancy making it every week and I was wondering if I can venture into other areas of cooking like hot food if I chose 'Cookery' instead of 'Baking'.

Thank you :biggrin:
Bump
You'll need carbs, protein, vitamins! We took gummy bears for a quick burst of energy.

Original post by DedicatedWizard
Bump
Original post by twentyoneke
You'll need carbs, protein, vitamins! We took gummy bears for a quick burst of energy.

Gummy bears? :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by twentyoneke

They don't mean food for the exped, they mean the skill section of the award.

A bit of a silly question but is baking an area of the 'Cookery' skill on DofE? Or is it an entirely separate thing?

I was thinking of making cakes and biscuits but I don't really fancy making it every week and I was wondering if I can venture into other areas of cooking like hot food if I chose 'Cookery' instead of 'Baking'.

Thank you :biggrin:

It probably could be, but you'd need to talk to your DofE assessor to see what they're actually comfortable with allowing and signing off
So maybe I can do an occasional week making a cake or pastry and that would count as 'Cookery'? Or would it be classified as 'Baking'?

I made Millionaire's Shortbread yesterday and I would like to include that :tongue:
You need to be doing it consistently for 3-6months (dependant on the weighting you choose).... cookery and baking would need to be signed off by a professional so your DofE assessor or a Food Tec teacher. You would need to prove that you have done it every week for your allotted time too.
Reply 7
So maybe I can do an occasional week making a cake or pastry and that would count as 'Cookery'? Or would it be classified as 'Baking'?

I made Millionaire's Shortbread yesterday and I would like to include that :tongue:

You'll have to talk to your assessor to see how you can quantify and prove your skill. Are you doing it through school or something else?
Original post by Drewski
They don't mean food for the exped, they mean the skill section of the award.

It probably could be, but you'd need to talk to your DofE assessor to see what they're actually comfortable with allowing and signing off

Haha! I have already done the expedition which was quite an experience!

Also thank you, I will let my assessor know. I think she will be fine with it, but I want to know if I am sticking to the rules you see :biggrin:
Original post by Drewski
You'll have to talk to your assessor to see how you can quantify and prove your skill. Are you doing it through school or something else?

My assessor is my Girl Guides leader, I would make the food at home, take pictures and write a report and bring the food along to the guides meetings.
Haha! I have already done the expedition which was quite an experience!

Also thank you, I will let my assessor know. I think she will be fine with it, but I want to know if I am sticking to the rules you see :biggrin:

It is a skill, so by that measure you're fine. But it's up to your assessor to work out how it can actually be measured and written up.
Are you talking about the skill section? As far as I know, they don't really have particular requirements for what you need to do for each skill- it's completely your choice as long as you work on it for at least an hour a week, take some pictures as proof if you want and have someone monitor your progress and assess you at the end. You should be able to do baking as part of cooking in general- if you're really unsure you can always ask your DofE leader.
Original post by Scarlettcake
You need to be doing it consistently for 3-6months (dependant on the weighting you choose).... cookery and baking would need to be signed off by a professional so your DofE assessor or a Food Tec teacher. You would need to prove that you have done it every week for your allotted time too.

Doing it for 12 months (DofE Gold). I thought it would be a good enough skill to learn considering I have never done it before and cooking is not something I do regularly. It's good practice for uni too :smile:

I can choose the skill 'Cookery' then for this?
Original post by getrektm8
Are you talking about the skill section? As far as I know, they don't really have particular requirements for what you need to do for each skill- it's completely your choice as long as you work on it for at least an hour a week, take some pictures as proof if you want and have someone monitor your progress and assess you at the end. You should be able to do baking as part of cooking in general- if you're really unsure you can always ask your DofE leader.

Thank you! I will let my leader know about this :biggrin:
Gummy bears? :confused:

Someone else did in my previous expedition.
(edited 6 years ago)
I never finished my DofE I found it boring so good luck I hope you do better than I do

Quick Reply

Latest