The Student Room Group

Grade 9 Maths Paper GCSE (and other difficult GCSE questions) - 2018 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Y11_Maths
I have been working on my paper for a while now and I am proud to announce that it is finally ready to submit.

This paper was designed for GCSE students who are aiming for a grade 9 in their GCSE's Maths exam. The questions I have created are meant to be difficult so please do not be put off by them if you cannot answer them. (Me and other members will always be happy to help in chat)

This isn't only for GCSE students. Anyone is welcome to have a try, and you can discuss your answers/workings with others in the chat. HOWEVER I must insist that if you are going to submit an answer to this thread, please use a SPOILER so that it does not ruin the question for others who are trying to work it out.

I hope you find this paper useful and feel free to distribute it as much as you would like to :smile:

I would like to give a huge thank you to @Notnek and @Lemur14 for allowing me to make this thread, it means a lot.

This thread can also be used for any questions students would like to post in here that are difficult GCSE questions since this is the main purpose of this thread.

This is the link to my website (where you can find out a bit of information about me) - http://jmaths.simplesite.com/

This is the link to the Grade 9 Paper - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uVgHK8WDO_6DVwfy2FUJKnmrb2imxnYnfX7SU-OIEIA/edit?usp=sharing

I hope you find this thread useful and good luck to everyone :smile:
Sincerely Y11_Maths

I'm about to do it, hopefully it's hard!
Reply 61
Original post by Mehru1214

Beware of question 15 :smile:
Original post by Mehru1214

Good luck, let me know how you find it :smile:
Original post by Notnek
Beware of question 15 :smile:

It’s not THAT hard is it? Or is it just too time consuming?
Reply 64
It’s not THAT hard is it? Or is it just too time consuming?

It's not a question that I'd expect a GCSE student to be able to do, even if they were a high grade 9 student. Unless they had practiced higher level questions.
Original post by Notnek
It's not a question that I'd expect a GCSE student to be able to do, even if they were a high grade 9 student. Unless they had practiced higher level questions.

And here’s me thinking that it’s one of the easier questions on the paper 😂
I think those exposed to Olympiad Maths will find q15 the easiest on the paper (IMOK+) but those who haven't may find it the hardest.
Original post by thekidwhogames
I think those exposed to Olympiad Maths will find q15 the easiest on the paper (IMOK+) but those who haven't may find it the hardest.

I think those exposed to Olympiad Maths with stamp all over my paper with ease 😂
I think those exposed to Olympiad Maths with stamp all over my paper with ease 😂

Not necessarily - I think your paper is perfect for grade 9 (and beyond) which I think is excellent for revision. When you're at A level, you should make some AS and A2 papers for the future A level students.
Not necessarily - I think your paper is perfect for grade 9 (and beyond) which I think is excellent for revision. When you're at A level, you should make some AS and A2 papers for the future A level students.

This would be something I cannot wait to do! Once I have finished my GCSEs I will ask my teacher what I will be learning for the years to follow so that during the holidays I can hopefully learn some of the content. In turn if I am successful I would love to make excruciatingly difficult questions for the people in my year and some slightly easier questions for those who will be starting it. :smile:
This would be something I cannot wait to do! Once I have finished my GCSEs I will ask my teacher what I will be learning for the years to follow so that during the holidays I can hopefully learn some of the content. In turn if I am successful I would love to make excruciatingly difficult questions for the people in my year and some slightly easier questions for those who will be starting it. :smile:

Sounds like a plan! You can just find out which exam board you're taking and learn the content. I can provide you the online textbooks for the new (and old as still useful) specs with links, etc. You can then learn it and create papers for next year.
Sounds like a plan! You can just find out which exam board you're taking and learn the content. I can provide you the online textbooks for the new (and old as still useful) specs with links, etc. You can then learn it and create papers for next year.

This would be great thanks :smile:
This would be great thanks :smile:

Alright - just let me know what board you do (and if I have it).
Alright - just let me know what board you do (and if I have it).

AQA
AQA

Ah - I don't do that sorry.
Ah - I don't do that sorry.

That’s alright thanks anyways
That’s alright thanks anyways

Is that your A level board for Maths - AQA?
Is that your A level board for Maths - AQA?

It should be I think. I can ask my teacher on monday and get back to you but I think it is.
It should be I think. I can ask my teacher on monday and get back to you but I think it is.

Alright, let me know as I do Edexcel.
Alright, let me know as I do Edexcel.

Isn’t Edexcel harder? Or does it just seem harder since we’ve been taught differently. Because AQA GCSE is fairly easy then our teacher handed us an Edexcel paper and it was far more complicated. There were 7 mark questions too!

Quick Reply

Latest