The Student Room Group

Do you agree men tend to have better taste in music than girls?

I know we're all individuals and music taste is subjective. But do you think guys are more likely to explore genres more deeply than girls? And earlier in their teens than girls. When I say better taste in music, I don't really mean specific genres, I mean going back to the roots and listening to the old school hip hop, the classic rock, experimental rock, art rock. Or exploring less mainstream areas like minimal techno. I find most girls seem to just scratch the surface and mostly just listen to the more well known examples.
Don't get me wrong, I know some guys with really dull taste in music, really simple chart stuff. I also know some girls who really know their stuff about music and love the more unusual classics, not just the immediately catchy stuff.
What do you think? I find there are way more male music pundits and djs.
Probably gonna get some hate from the ladies on this one but I've studied a lot of my male and female friends' music preferences and the results are pretty clear.

Not sure why that is though, perhaps males feel more connected to the harder rock and perhaps always dreamt of being in a rock band or being a famous dj because they have more male artists to look up to. Or because males feel more of a pressure to be cool and impress, and are unwilling to admit they love the more lame stuff. Less likely to admit they love one direction. Perhaps because a lot of young female love for music is slightly based on the attractiveness of the band members?
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also I know those examples aren't the true "roots" and it goes way further back, but I mean the roots for the current stuff in the charts.
As a girl I kind of agree - and it's because stereotypically bad music (like one direction, justin bieber) is marketed towards straight females.
(edited 6 years ago)
yeah i do actually. i can't think of a single girl who would know of Dream Theater or a non-goth girl who liked Metallica. pink floyd are way more popular amongst guys and older music in general. can't speak for old school hip hop as i dont listen to that...
Edgy
Reply 5
Original post by markovchain17
Most girls I've known have had a ranging and diverse musical taste. All anecdotal I guess. The attractiveness thing could be a factor for very young teenage girls but not really older ones

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree lots of girls have diverse music tastes. But I still find they scratch the surface within each genre. Also seem to favour the lighter, catchier more melodic songs in those genres. Not the unconventional ones as much.
In real life, 99% of people I know have basically no taste, and aren't really music guys. They like whatever is easily accessed, and don't really put time into seeking anything out. That applies to men and women.

Most people are not into music as a hobby.
Average girl will listen to generic pop

Average guy will listen to trashy hip hop
Original post by Hirsty97
Average girl will listen to generic pop

Average guy will listen to trashy hip hop

This is accurate.
Reply 9
Another thing I noticed was that the female friends of mine who do have "better" tastes in music were heavily influenced by males in their lives. One of my female friends' dad's worked for a alternative rock record label and so she grew up listening to great music. Another female friend was heavily influenced by her older brother who has a very cool taste in music. I know she idolises him and her taste in music when she was a teenager was identical to her brother's. Interestingly, she now mostly listens to sh*t pop and trap music. I also know of females being influenced by the boyfriend's taste in music but I don't see it as much the other way around.
Original post by difficult
Another thing I noticed was that the female friends of mine who do have "better" tastes in music were heavily influenced by males in their lives. One of my female friends' dad's worked for a alternative rock record label and so she grew up listening to great music. Another female friend was heavily influenced by her older brother who has a very cool taste in music. I know she idolises him and her taste in music when she was a teenager was identical to her brother's. Interestingly, she now mostly listens to sh*t pop and trap music. I also know of females being influenced by the boyfriend's taste in music but I don't see it as much the other way around.

Incredibly large sample there, bud. You should contact the University of Oxford's musicology faculty to see if they'll fund your research.
Reply 11
Original post by Notoriety
Incredibly large sample there, bud. You should contact the University of Oxford's musicology faculty to see if they'll fund your research.

I know it's not the largest sample. But I do subconsciously study everyone's music preferences. Family friends, home friends, uni friends, acquaintances, work friends, brother's friends, parents, teachers, lecturers. Don't know, I just find it interesting I suppose. But from the 100 or so people, the result is pretty clear (from the people I know). Which is why I was wondering if other people agree. And if anyone who studies music psychology had any input or reasoning for the differences in tastes.
Reply 12
My Ma listens to way better music than my aul fella.
I think both men and woman can have equally good taste in music.
Some men and women can also have equally bad taste in music.
Original post by Emma:-)

thank you for your insight, Dali Lama.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
thank you for your insight, Dali Lama.

Excuse me?
I know we're all individuals and music taste is subjective. But do you think guys are more likely to explore genres more deeply than girls? And earlier in their teens than girls. When I say better taste in music, I don't really mean specific genres, I mean going back to the roots and listening to the old school hip hop, the classic rock, experimental rock, art rock. Or exploring less mainstream areas like minimal techno. I find most girls seem to just scratch the surface and mostly just listen to the more well known examples.
Don't get me wrong, I know some guys with really dull taste in music, really simple chart stuff. I also know some girls who really know their stuff about music and love the more unusual classics, not just the immediately catchy stuff.
What do you think? I find there are way more male music pundits and djs.
Probably gonna get some hate from the ladies on this one but I've studied a lot of my male and female friends' music preferences and the results are pretty clear.

Not sure why that is though, perhaps males feel more connected to the harder rock and perhaps always dreamt of being in a rock band or being a famous dj because they have more male artists to look up to. Or because males feel more of a pressure to be cool and impress, and are unwilling to admit they love the more lame stuff. Less likely to admit they love one direction. Perhaps because a lot of yong female love for music is slightly based on the attractiveness of "the band members?

i think men like mostly song saying " i **** that girl or my money or shake your booty" that is your real taste!
Reply 17
Original post by Emma:-)

Honestly probably the most pointless reply.
Honestly probably the most pointless reply.

Why is it.
men dont have better taste. They are both equal. Both men and women have good taste in music. Same with bad taste. Simple.
Original post by Wilfred Little
In real life, 99% of people I know have basically no taste, and aren't really music guys. They like whatever is easily accessed, and don't really put time into seeking anything out. That applies to men and women.

Most people are not into music as a hobby.

I agree. The worst are those who listen to what is basically bad karaoke.

Latest