The Student Room Group

Further mathematics

Hello, I’ve done my GCSE’s and had managed to achieve an A* (97%) for Math- though I’m only a n extended student. Ive been worried as I have a passion for math and had been wanting to do further math ever since- but due to me only finishing my extended course in Year 11 I’m unsure as to whether I should do F.Math though I’m willing to put in all effort. I’ve been wanting to pursue aerospace engineering, been a passion since young. Should I do further math as I’m only an extended student? :frown:

Thanks, advice appreciated
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by John Gan
Hello, I’ve done my GCSE’s and had managed to achieve an A* (97%) for Math- though I’m only a n extended student. Ive been worried as I have a passion for math and had been wanting to do further math ever since- but due to me only finishing my extended course in Year 11 I’m unsure as to whether I should do F.Math though I’m willing to put in all effort. I’m wanting to one say pursue aerospace engineering, been a passion since young. Should I do further math as I’m only an extended student? :frown:

Thanks, advice appreciated

Sorry, but what is an extended student?

Also, yes, you should. You've demonstrated the ability to succeed in further maths, and clearly have an interest in it.
Reply 2
At our school there are 4 ‘bands’ (Groups for Math)
“Lowest class”->Core->Extended-> Add Math

Meaning I’m not exactly in the top group

An extended student basically does everything an add math student does-except for the add math course (sadly). You could say it’s the group right behind it.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by John Gan
At our school there are 4 ‘bands’ (Groups for Math)
“Lowest class”->Core->Extended-> Add Math

Meaning I’m not exactly in the top group

An extended student basically does everything an add math student does-except for the add math course (sadly). You could say it’s the group right behind it.

I'd say go for it, you have the passion and you've demonstrated you have the potential.

Quick Reply

Latest